1.11 release

Captain Kitten

Alright folks. 1.11 is out. We will try to have at least one release every two months at the longest but if we get stuck somewhere we will let you know and ask for forgiveness 😉 In any case, the long haul to volumetric rendering is done. And this is the first follow up release building on the volumetric noise rendering platform we released in 1.10.

1.10 will still be available for everyone and this is the reason:
The development done on the clouds (a necessity to get other planned features and corrections done down the road) will give clouds better definition and more "lively" forms. But it comes at the cost of more pronounced grain. The grain is what defuses the under laying mechanics and making it less visible without blur can only be done with higher resolutions. This will however demand a huge impact on performance. So we're "tolerating" the grain at this point but are working hard on performance. It is however a longer run for the performance paths we have in mind. We will dedicate even more time on that going forward but are uncertain if we will see the results in 1.12. We hope to, but can't promise.

Work planned for 1.12 is:

• Continue 4k specific performance
  • Performance path 1&2
  • Cirrus importer with real world satellite data

Alongside xE client updates Server issues are worked on. And updated.

Changelog:

### [Known issues]

• Precipitation follows camera
  • Unnatural cloud formations at high levels or squared sectors of clouds
  • Snow coverage may appear in the regions where no snowfall encountered recently
  • Default X-Plane night triggers lights artifacts

### Added

• Brightness slider
  • Contrast slider
  • Vibrance slider
  • Gamma slider
  • Button to close the Briefing window
  • Control water waves checkbox

### Changed

• Noise mixing law for cumulus clouds
  • Noise mixing law for cumulonimbus clouds
  • Coverage procedures adjusted to match new cloud laws
  • Basic volume sampling optimization
  • Cloud Settings changed to Rendering Settings
  • Simple preset changed to Natural
  • Full preset changed to Vivid
  • Settings window controls and elements positions.

### Removed

• In cloud effect checkbox.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Congrats on the 1.1 release, the new sliders for brightness/contrast/vibrance/gamma are a huge plus, as I have been using nvidia control panel to tweak those options on my monitor itself. Not quite sure what all to look out for in the clouds, but the shapes are looking great. The noise is definitely rough but I appreciate the momentum and honesty about the limitations as always.

• Like 1

Thank you for releasing 1.11 and congrats on the improvements. I can confirm what Nightflyer said above. New sliders are great, cloud shapes look great, flying through clouds is immersive, exciting. I also appreciate the momentum, your honesty informing about limitations and your taking time to inform us about the progress of further development. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1