1.12 Development screenshots

Captain Kitten

Really great progress.... well done to the entire team!

The (even basic) clouds reflections is insanely exiting... the thought of getting sunset pink clouds etc. Is crazy!

i was looking at some FS2020 screenshots the other day and noticed grain too... so they must be using similar tech. What I did notice is that the grain was pronounced at a distance, but perfect close up. Do you think this is a performance enhancer they are using? Increase detail closer and decrease as you move further away?

Thanks for all your hard work!

On 9/25/2019 at 8:33 PM, Captain Kitten said:

Looks like we have a simple cloud illumination going. We'll see if it stays in but these are first tests with cloud ilumination.

unknown.png

The (even basic) clouds reflections is insanely exiting... the thought of getting sunset pink clouds etc. Is crazy!

i was looking at some FS2020 screenshots the other day and noticed grain too... so they must be using similar tech. What I did notice is that the grain was pronounced at a distance, but perfect close up. Do you think this is a performance enhancer they are using? Increase detail closer and decrease as you move further away?

On 9/27/2019 at 12:21 AM, flightoffancy85 said:

The (even basic) clouds reflections is insanely exiting... the thought of getting sunset pink clouds etc. Is crazy!

i was looking at some FS2020 screenshots the other day and noticed grain too... so they must be using similar tech. What I did notice is that the grain was pronounced at a distance, but perfect close up. Do you think this is a performance enhancer they are using? Increase detail closer and decrease as you move further away?

Yes and that's how we do it as well. Tech is very similar. Two accents of the same basis. Difference being of course that they have mad the sim to include it while we are fitting ours in with something that doesn't necessarily like everything we want to do.

14 hours ago, flightoffancy85 said:

These shots are just spectacular. Really looking forward to the next release. out of curiosity, is there any reason you didn’t release an interim update with just the accidental grain fix you found?

thanks team!

We didn't release a "grain fix" patch because it is still being worked on. While testing was done on those aspects we developed other items like autumn so we didn't waste time idling.

35 minutes ago, Captain Kitten said:

We didn't release a "grain fix" patch because it is still being worked on. While testing was done on those aspects we developed other items like autumn so we didn't waste time idling.

Hello captain Kitten have you decided to introduce those cloud reflections due to aircraft lights.

6 hours ago, Captain Kitten said:

Apologies, I’ve just realised ‘grain fix’ didn’t come out how I expected it to. Just improvement on an already good system is more appropriate. Thanks for taking the time to respond, and look forward to the next release  

I really love the look of what you guys have done so far but i still want to know if performance gotten any better, if not do you recommend a GPU for Xenviro 1.12? I am currently using a GTX1070.

Edited by koert

The latest screen shots are majestic ... really surpassing 1.10 by folds....

it looks like 2020 is going to be the year of transformation for the flight sim .... apart from msfs2020, i see that x-plane platform is going to catch-up very soon due to their Vulkan engine updates being ready and perfected in the backdrop ... and having an addon such as x-enviro 1.12+  (i start my count from 1.12 as it seems to be narrowing the gap with msfs2020 ).....

out of this, i would ask the devs the following:

1. if msfs2020 having support for more than 30 layers of clouds with good performance on Directx11 ... why would x-enviro only have only few for now.... 
  2.  what are the avenues in x-plane engine that limit the hands of x-enviro developers .... is Laminar planning to make your work easy and open all blockages to give you free-hand to express the full potential of future x-enviro releases .... 

Keep up the good works... and we trust the race is on... and you can really make x-plane platform compete or out-match msfl2020 - which honestly has set a new benchmark for the industry on a clean fresh green landscape platform fresh from the grounds up..

if msfs2020 having support for more than 30 layers of clouds with good performance on Directx11 ... why would x-enviro only have only few for now.... 

Because x-plane isn't in any way optimized for the implementation this type of weather engine. And FS2020 has been built to include it.

what are the avenues in x-plane engine that limit the hands of x-enviro developers .... is Laminar planning to make your work easy and open all blockages to give you free-hand to express the full potential of future x-enviro releases .... 

I won't go in to detail about our diuscussions with Laminar.

These are Norway (NO source) ortho imagery. No new textures. The summer images are the original ones and the autumn colored ones are the ones that are altered by xEnviro in real time. Yes, it works on default, ortho, SFD Global and Orbx scenery. (Yes it works on airports as well - any scenery)

xE seasons will include autumn and snow on top of that. Both being accumulative. We will probably ship these with 1.12 (been working on this inbetween when testing is needed and we had idle time)
xE1.12b24a04.JPG.163825b44ef9f4dfc0e159bd815c9b10.JPGa03.JPG.5104bd76199aa42bc88331fadb662853.JPGa02.JPG.c249c81bd4b0a907d68a56009e1dddc9.JPG
a01.JPG.ec8d079949933a2494438705f6944805.JPG

• Like 1

Great work guys looks awesome. I keep saying it over and over again LR has been only fixated on some flight model improvements and they continuously boast about how many new 3D airports they release (created by users not them).  I wish LR gave devs more support it’s obvious not enough. I can’t count how many times I’ve heard 3rd party devs say it’s an LR issue and they haven’t resolved it yet. 

• Like 1

The autumn shots look really interesting. I remember asking a question at Cosford when XP11 was first announced about seasons. The reply from Austen was that sometime in the future but they were not going down the (FSX) route of different texture sets but rather to use a method of changing pixels. Looks like you're doing the job for them! I am heartened by the possibility that you are including this in the current development phase - perhaps 1.12. I'd always presumed this would be in something like 2.0 and we would have to pay extra for as a new release! 

Agree with the previous post - does look like the whole emphasis is on flight model tweaks and not enough on the environmental engine. Hopefully FS2020 will give a spur to a more holistic approach to the programme - it looks like tough competition ahead. 

As a relatively new purchaser of Xenviro, which I do enjoy and fly with most of the time, I look forward to the continuing dvt, especially minimising (or eliminating) the cloud pixellation when viewed from above. I certainly regard it as a worthwhile investment and addon.