AP in Ovation II doesn't work

Elpromo

Mine works, but it is fussy compared to the other M20 models. You have to explicitly turn the AP on before anything works and of course the servo switch needs to be on for it to work. Then you have to push Heading. The plane needs to be very close to what the Flight Director is requesting before the AP will engage - so you need to hand steer and control altitude to coordinate the Flight Director. Then the AP should engage......

Yesterday I noticed this issue when I wanted to fly a short trip to the next (about 55 miles) airport without a flightplan. The AP symbol shotly flashed but wasn't on. The servo switch was on, all worked well. Momentarily I'm a bit baffled!

Will try again later!

I had a flight where in the preflight I noticed that the elevator would only move down and not up. I wasn't sure if this would be an issue, but on take-off, it wouldn't pitch up with my yoke or with the autopilot set to FLC @ 105 kias. I reloaded the situation file and it was corrected. I'm not sure if this is related to what you were experiencing. BTW, this was in the O3, which is awesome!

• 2 months later...

Regarding the Mooney Ovation 2: 

I don't know if this is a "bug" or a "feature," but I can't seem to figure out (from the manual or experience) how to use the KFC-225 to hold altitude and hand fly the plane on the horizontal axis.  Here's an example, I'm flying West on a USA cross country flight plan.  I set the KFC-225 to capture and hold 10,000 feet.  The autopilot is in ROLL mode, as I haven't pushed the HDG button.  Now, I want to fly from waypoint to waypoint while the autopilot is maintaining 10,000 feet.  Anytime I move the yoke to turn, the AP disengages and won't maintain altitude anymore. 

Now, if I use the KFC-225 to hold altitude AND heading, and use the HSI heading bug to turn, the KFC-225 works as intended.  I just can't touch the yoke.

But sometimes, I want to hand fly, whether it's a cross-country or an approach, I just want to use the altitude hold function of the autopilot to manage the cockpit workload.  The KFC-225 however, seems to require that it's either a) flying both vertical and lateral axes, or b) nothing.  When I look at the real world KFC-225 operation manual, it appears to be able to function in an "altitude hold" mode only.  Is this function not modeled in AFM's version?  Or is this an X-Plane issue? I'm relatively new to this sim, so I'm not sure whether the KFC-225 is LR's or AFM's...  Thanks!

On 10/13/2018 at 10:46 AM, Mitcher said:

Regarding the Mooney Ovation 2: 

I don't know if this is a "bug" or a "feature," but I can't seem to figure out (from the manual or experience) how to use the KFC-225 to hold altitude and hand fly the plane on the horizontal axis.  Here's an example, I'm flying West on a USA cross country flight plan.  I set the KFC-225 to capture and hold 10,000 feet.  The autopilot is in ROLL mode, as I haven't pushed the HDG button.  Now, I want to fly from waypoint to waypoint while the autopilot is maintaining 10,000 feet.  Anytime I move the yoke to turn, the AP disengages and won't maintain altitude anymore. 

Now, if I use the KFC-225 to hold altitude AND heading, and use the HSI heading bug to turn, the KFC-225 works as intended.  I just can't touch the yoke.

But sometimes, I want to hand fly, whether it's a cross-country or an approach, I just want to use the altitude hold function of the autopilot to manage the cockpit workload.  The KFC-225 however, seems to require that it's either a) flying both vertical and lateral axes, or b) nothing.  When I look at the real world KFC-225 operation manual, it appears to be able to function in an "altitude hold" mode only.  Is this function not modeled in AFM's version?  Or is this an X-Plane issue? I'm relatively new to this sim, so I'm not sure whether the KFC-225 is LR's or AFM's...  Thanks! 

Currently, Control Wheel Steering (CWS) mode is not simulated - I will work on getting that implemented in the next update which should come after the Pocket Rocket releases in the coming weeks.