1.14 development

Captain Kitten

From my observation,

i see that xenviro renders the clouds not as individual objects, but as one object that is covering a big grid cubical area, that is why some square clouds used to appear.
further to this, i could see sometimes a form of pattern, like the under-carpet weaving. as a scan in 3d space is run in order to generate a hologram.

whereas i perceive that in msfs, each cloud is a separate object that has its own properties of growth, in a fashion similar to what "rex environment force" is doing (at least how they control size of clouds)

the parameter that controls size of clouds does not exist in XE thus far, maybe partly because the environment is always based on real weather data. and/or because truly my above statement is true to say that Xenviro scans a 3d space to create a hologram of weather depiction based on data provided by live weather  metar

if am correct at all, while this approach has advantages, it might have some limitations, one of the advantages is the ability to render the whole atmosphere while not stressing the system, i do recall you mentioned earlier a half-rendering and full-rendering approaches, - i guess am pointing to the same notion.

one thing i noticed, is that in general the clouds layer looking thin, or maybe our visual perception is polluted by exaggerated clouds in m$f$2o2o

i sea that xenviro is still in its infancy, and has many more surprises in the very near future for the community to outperform the great new next-gen benchmark of msfs

whereby the competition will eventually lead to visual development extrusions to catch up and set a farther new refined standard in realistic weather depiction.

for example, currently xe needs more tuning (i know it is a matter of tuning and head-room) to be able to provide a scene like this photo (in Armenia)

image.png.c736543654adc09f216c538b54d4a6d4.png

image.png.5121aaaa57e9a3fdce1ba7496842a9b0.png

image.png.2933740166a1d0d5e726a611fce870c2.png

Notice the clouds have a large vertical scale and form pertaining to this cloud type,

the last snapshots of 1.14 in this thread - are very very superior in terms of grain and granular definition of cloud noise at micro scale (frankly better than msfs), but at the macro scale, some more work needs to be done.

we hope xe can produce these results in the short to medium term.

Keep up the good works of wonder

Edited by Bakr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bakr said:

From my observation,

i see that xenviro renders the clouds not as individual objects, but as one object that is covering a big grid cubical area, that is why some square clouds used to appear.
further to this, i could see sometimes a form of pattern, like the under-carpet weaving. as a scan in 3d space is run in order to generate a hologram.

whereas i perceive that in msfs, each cloud is a separate object that has its own properties of growth, in a fashion similar to what "rex environment force" is doing (at least how they control size of clouds)

the parameter that controls size of clouds does not exist in XE thus far, maybe partly because the environment is always based on real weather data. and/or because truly my above statement is true to say that Xenviro scans a 3d space to create a hologram of weather depiction based on data provided by live weather  metar

if am correct at all, while this approach has advantages, it might have some limitations, one of the advantages is the ability to render the whole atmosphere while not stressing the system, i do recall you mentioned earlier a half-rendering and full-rendering approaches, - i guess am pointing to the same notion.

one thing i noticed, is that in general the clouds layer looking thin, or maybe our visual perception is polluted by exaggerated clouds in m$f$2o2o

i sea that xenviro is still in its infancy, and has many more surprises in the very near future for the community to outperform the great new next-gen benchmark of msfs

whereby the competition will eventually lead to visual development extrusions to catch up and set a farther new refined standard in realistic weather depiction.

for example, currently xe needs more tuning (i know it is a matter of tuning and head-room) to be able to provide a scene like this photo (in Armenia)

Notice the clouds have a large vertical scale and form pertaining to this cloud type,

the last snapshots of 1.14 in this thread - are very very superior in terms of grain and granular definition of cloud noise at micro scale (frankly better than msfs), but at the macro scale, some more work needs to be done.

we hope xe can produce these results in the short to medium term.

Keep up the good works of wonder

Your assumptions are far off. These are not in any way objects. MSFS clouds are made from the same technology as xE. It's noise rendered volumetrics. And that has nothing to do with 3d objects. The limitations right now is performance.  Once we have the performance headroom we need we will unleash xEnviro - we haven't even started on shapes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Captain Kitten said:

The limitations right now is performance.  Once we have the performance headroom we need we will unleash xEnviro - we haven't even started on shapes.

Edited by Bakr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yaay my guessing is right, 1.14 update after fs2020, so give me the price ? lol just kidding, but yeah maybe beta 1.14 lol, anyway im relaxed, already bought msfs2020, and my friend laught at me because its cheaper than xenviro, lol but i tell him no problem as long as i can buy, just enjoy 🙂

• Like 1

The Clouds in MSFS2020 are a bit underwhelming, specially when you are flying through clouds they don't cover your wings partially for instance. At horizon they flicker sometimes and are very edged as well. The overall lighting and bloom, specially on water, is beautiful though. 

All in all, MS2020 is not as overwhelming as the big you-tube fanboys (whores) do preach. I think Xenviro can do a better clouds job.

Edited by nabber
  • Confused 1

The last screenshot was breathtaking @Captain Kitten

Supporting X-Plane's future is still in my list of hobbies - nightly forum updates.
Comments regarding MSF2020 and X-Plane

1. I feel with X-Plane seeing users streams allowed us all to admire the differences of each individual configuration.
    This guy uses xEnviro... This guy uses ASXP... This guy uses Google Ortho instead of BING.

2. Microsoft Stream all appear the same. (as beautiful as its release is they are all the same)

Support developers each one is an artist.

117809505_10158243650855199_2244106114710948887_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh man.... this has taken some serious time... We know! Trust me we know. And I am very much aware of my absence in the past weeks but I needed some time off to hget some distance from the "X-Plane is dead" morons than now luckily have more or less left X-Plane.

With my position in Threshold I have had MSFS for about a a year already and have known what is coming for a long time. I know that X-Plane is not dead. We have hopefully gotten rid of some scum that only crave visual stuff and not in depth simulation of aircraft. MSFS will get that. Don't get me wrong. MSFS looks and feels great! But it will take some time before you can use a good G1000 or an in depth airliner. When that comes, I don't know, but I know that X-Plane will be used by many for a long time still and might never leave. (Whats wrong in having two sims anyway). And we're not leaving. We're going to finish the xEnviro roadmap.

1600288528_2020-08-2317_04_53-X-System.jpg.ebe9d0bb89ad5604cdf7cf1b750f0725.jpg

And I sadly don't have any concrete news yet. But some positives are present. Many have mentioned that development time has been slow. Oh that could not be further from the truth. Time has been long - but development has been ongoing constantly on an increadible amount of workload since the release of 1.13. Well, almost constantly anyway. Covid happened.. That robbed us of one or maybe two months of work in total because several of us have "vital proffessions" and priorities shifted. And it still does impact us a lot still since members of the development team have been directly affected by Covid. I'm not going in to details on that but we're pressing on regardless!
1906678_2020-08-2317_15_45-X-System.jpg.998459c01ffb8525e196811ca392769b.jpg

*Not representative of final product.

This is hopefully one of the last times you'll see that disclaimer. But we're still in test versions so the images are in fact not representative of the final product yet. We are approaching Beta though and we are assembling the different features that are still lying around in pieces. Tesitng them one by one to see that they still fit in to the 1.14 we want to have.

We're over the hard challenge we got with tearing. It's not mended fully but will be basically gone under assembly. So I choose to be optimistic enough to write this update. 😃1193725227_2020-08-2317_08_46-X-System.jpg.a5c42b549d928d766fa2a4aaa34e3c51.jpg

So, these images are still not representative of final product. There are artifacts that you can see if you look closely and attributes missing to make them look the way they will at release. In fact they won't look like the end result before final test - and first beta assembly. Which hopefully isn't very far off now. I dare to say weeks in stead of months.

539291264_2020-08-2316_57_37-X-System.jpg.9ed479ed0a593259646b89dad5d6f02c.jpg

1638931263_2020-08-2316_59_41-X-System.jpg.1ea8e26528348024939282f215429365.jpg

Even though this is not a visual update you will se a pretty severe visual change in the clouds. This comes from the fact that we have had go deep in to the code to make some profound changes. The one with the most impact has been "semi full volume rendering". This path opens up for unlimited layers of clouds but will be fully exploited when we have entered Vulkan. We will keep the automatic reduction of layers to maintain performance. However most should see several layers where threre are more since the layers have less impact than in previous versions..

1256280294_2020-08-2318_12_06-X-System.jpg.b136e46d811efe2177cf21ca1af03a03.jpg

Performance:

It's not easy to say what performance gain you will get from 1.14. We have seen everything from 5fps increase to an insane 30 fps gain on an old gfx card. Older cards seem to benefit the most from the performance paths we have finished. So what this means for your setup depends on so much. Prepare for the lower prediction of 5 fps for your case and be positively surprized if you get more.

39849026_2020-08-2318_21_37-X-System.jpg.55600b82f48b81f9e2ad191653552344.jpg

Vulkan

Yes, we will go Vulkan after 1.14. 1.15 will be our Vulkan assesment. No it will not take nearly as long as 1.14. This performance update has been hell. We are prepared for the Vulkan transition. There will be some features that will not be available in Vulkan... We have tried to convince LR to give us the tools we need for these features but they seem as stubborn on this as the time they told us xE would not work in Vulkan at all. We will still fight for these features but we will get 1.14 out of the door first.

679873856_2020-08-2318_45_06-X-System.jpg.89dd2c283476db6890990b0227f0eb3a.jpg

10991642_2020-08-2318_37_00-X-System.jpg.0feaefc6572a59aab4735ee035744c23.jpg

I'll update again as soon as I have more.

Until then, Keep safe and happy landings 😃

2020-08-23 17_07_00-X-System.jpg

2020-08-23 18_25_30-X-System.jpg

2020-08-23 18_26_16-X-System.jpg

2020-08-23 18_26_52-X-System.jpg

2020-08-23 18_33_26-X-System.jpg

2020-08-23 18_39_26-X-System.jpg

2020-08-23 18_36_07-X-System.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the info... but basically 1.14 is totally useless to us..  if it doesn't work in Vulkan. I haven't ran xEnviro for months, crave it yes, but can't simply run it because I need Vulkan to do my review work and 11.41 has now been totally retired? I feel most users are in the same similar position... so why not just move on straight to 1.15... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hi, this is my first post in this forum.
I wanted to say I'm  very excited each time I see your pictures @Captain Kitten ! xEnviro is my favourite non-aircraft addon, and your screenshots give me hope for the future of X-Plane, at least my future with X-Plane. I'm still using xEnviro on OpenGL in X-Plane 11.50RC1 very often when I fly VFR.

Now that you have said that 1.14 isn't months off but weeks off, I'm more excited than ever, wich is the reason I posting this.
The Vulkan update that will be with 1.15 is what everybody wants ofcourse, it's difficult to get back to OpenGL when you have tasted the fluidity of Vulkan rendering but I  wish you a good success with the transition with Vulkan.

Here's two pics during my last flights yesterday with xEnviro over Spain.

Ef35JriXsAAbkwP?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

EftCzt4XYAEM2QT?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Snax

Edited by Snax
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:29 PM, Snax said:

Now that you have said that 1.14 isn't months off but weeks off, I'm more excited than ever, wich is the reason I posting this.

He said the beta was weeks off rather than months, not release...  😞

We're actually seeing the last corners of the track.. I don't even dare to say that we're lifting the gas pedal at Tiergarten getting ready to break for the shicane at Hohenrain... Those of you have followed along know what I'm talking about. 

Sorry for the low resolution on these. Images. More to come. Soon. 

Screenshot_20200827-141639.jpg

Screenshot_20200827-141623.jpg

Screenshot_20200827-141610.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-220638.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-220623.jpg

• Like 5