Ðŗąçø

How to Delay 'X-Plane.exe is not responding'

Windows users: We've all done it at some point. X-Plane is loading or frozen. We click the mouse or press a key on our keyboards once and boom:

1073818701_notresponding.png.b9281e0bde2026416a70cf2562329710.png

And does it ever respond, mid-flight? No. Of course not. You can check X-Plane's usage in Task Manager for the proof. Heck, just panning the camera around holding a key continuously will also blow up X-Plane if it hangs for just FIVE SECONDS! It's time we do something about this. It's time to take control. IT'S TIME TO STOP! ... I mean, not X-Plane of course. This issue, actually:

wowee.thumb.jpg.c49951e49988fa44393642f1ada039d6.jpg

CAUTION: The solution to this uses Windows' Registry Editor (regedit.exe). If you are unfamiliar with regedit or are not confident in using it, then DO NOT TRY IT! This solution also has some side effects.

There is a process within Windows that manages the windows within the operating system. This process is ironically named Desktop Window Manager (dwm), and is responsible for deciding after how long it should deem apps unresponsive (amongst a lot of other things, of course). By default, if an application has not sent any signal to dwm after five seconds, the mouse cursor turns to that wonderful swirl, the window goes almost white and that all-too familiar 'yada yada yada.exe is not responding' message pops up.

To fix it, all we need to do is change that five seconds into something a little longer. The ingredients here are:

• Between 5 minutes to a few decades, depending on how fast your PC is at restarting (mine falls into the latter because I'm poor ? )
  • Administrator access to regedit.exe

Hit the Windows key + R to pop open the Run window, and type regedit:

run.png.95cf1bf20322e1e7b3eadc00517eaa60.png

Hit OK. When the User Account Control thingy-majig pops up, either hit Yes or type the admin password to proceed, followed by the enter key.

You are now in the Registry Editor! For those that do not know, regedit contains all the values, strings etc. the settings and internals of your PC rely on. Whatever you do: DO NOT GO ABOUT CHANGING RANDOM ENTRIES. It's far too easy to change a single number, and have a PC that will never boot again. In this case, the value we are changing (or creating) is safe to... well, change.

On the left, navigate to the following location: Computer -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel -> Desktop. Don't go further than that. Now on the right, you may or may not see the following entry: HungAppTimeout. If you see it, great. If not, right-click anywhere, then in the drop down menu, navigate to New -> String Value, and click on that. By default, the string will be named New Value #1. Change this to "HungAppTimeout" (without quotes). CAPITALISATION IS CRITICAL.

Now double-click HungAppTimeout, and change the value. By default, it is 5000. This means of course, that app timeout is measured in milliseconds. Here, you can see I have inputted 60000 to represent a full minute, but I advise setting it to something like 30 seconds:

hungapptimeout.png.181fd08e39dba1aeb54b8538c954edfe.png

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS VALUE IS IN MILLISECONDS. I ADVISE TO CHECK IT IS AT LEAST 5000 PRIOR TO APPLYING IT. SETTING IT TOO LOW CAN CAUSE SEVERE SYSTEM INSTABILITY, WHICH I WILL NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR.

HungAppTimeout should now look like this, depending on the value you set. It must be a REG_SZ:

hat.png.747186b60f2f5c0eeadfbbcb952f368d.png

Press OK, and reboot your computer to have HungAppTimeout change its value. You're now done! Now Windows will be more lenient when it comes to X-Plane becoming unresponsive.

Side-Effects

Some side-effects I have observed which you may want to consider. I do not use SSDs; only HDDs (recall that I am broke) so my PC can become quite unresponsive when Windows believes its processes are more important than the ones you are actually using:

• ANY application that hangs will be treated like a hung application after the time you specify. This means for me, it will take a minute before I can force-close an unresponsive window by clicking it repeatedly
  • Putting the computer to bed to go to sleep occasionally takes the time you define above to do so
  • If X-Plane is full-screen, you cannot get access to any window below it whilst it is loading (which happens to everyone already). If X-Plane is unresponsive, it can take ages before you can force-close X-Plane. This can be resolved with a second monitor, however, with Task Manager

I HOLD NO RESPONSIBILITY SHOULD YOU ACCIDENTALLY BLOW UP YOUR PC. THIS MAY INCLUDE, BUT NOT LIMITED TO: LONGER WAITING TIMES, THE ENTIRE OPERATING SYSTEM BECOMING UNRESPONSIVE, THE OPERATING SYSTEM FAILING TO BOOT COMPLETELY, OR LEADING TO X-PLANE CRASH MORE FREQUENTLY. You have been warned.

Edited by Ðŗąçø
Minor edits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On this point 

If X-Plane is full-screen, you cannot get access to any window below it whilst it is loading (which happens to everyone already). If X-Plane is unresponsive, it can take ages before you can force-close X-Plane. This can be resolved with a second monitor, however, with Task Manager

A Way better way to operate on a single monitor (Windows 10)  is to Hit the keys CTRL + WIN + D  this will duplicate your desktop,  You can then load any apps that you may use on there.  Example for me Pilot2atc  I can do the same Keypress and get another Desktop and load Navigraph charts up on that.  Now when in Xplane if you use the keys CTRL + WIN + Right Arrow  you will move up a desktop  and CTRL + WIN + Left arrow Down a desktop  so you can have many full screen apps running .

You Can all thank me later 😉

Edited by Jockeyboy2_0

I should point out start the app on the desktop you want to run it on and dont swap until its loaded fully otherwise it will switch to your new desktop.  Also WIN + TAB will open a screen where you can see whats running on what dekstop and drag them between desktops if you want to move programs between desktops.