Introduce yourself! What got you using flight sims?

I have been crazy after planes since I was 3. Before the mind blowing X-Plane 11, I used crappy flight sims like "Flight Pilot Simulator 3d free" and "Airplane Simulator 2019 free". The 2019 one called professional pilots "Airmen" lol. I have a list of those crappy sims. Most of them were Unity... never a good sign. Later, I got Airline Commander by Rortos for free. The physics were pretty good, and the textures and graphics were great. But it wasn't the level of realism I wanted. This year, I was so mad after X-Plane 11 after the demo, I just bought it even though I use a Macbook Air 2017, and I was surprised by the great performance, even with my current computer.

Edited by ilovecrashes
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very good idea, Sam! I'll add to this then ?       My first simming experience was F/A 18 Interceptor. I have no clue how many hours I spent in that "simulator" but that intro music has burn

My path to X-Plane 11 was weird, expensive, and adventurous. Back in 2010, I tried my first flight simulator. It was FS2002 ?. Basically, my computer was old, slow, and just flat out bad. It was a Tos

Hey, this will be quite a bit of story, I mean not like super exciting like I was walking through some mountain, found an ancient artifact, and told me to get X-Plane 11. ? No. Put that "big chunk of

Posted Images

Nice to be here.  I normally began with Sublogic Flight Simulator back in the Amiga era with Flight Simulator 2 and from there it was history with getting all of them after that.  Just purchased X-Plane 11 this past week from Steam as it was on sale and boy did I miss out!.  I love it!  Now looking all over for some quality X-plane freewear and paywear as well.  I see a lot I like on this site and others like xp.org.   It is new to me and I am like a little boy with a new toy!..It feels good again like the old days of Flight Siming!

• Like 1

Greetings to all you simmers. Started researching different sim programs and decided on x-plane and since I was based at KDEN chose to add X-Codr's KDEN airport. When I tried to install the airport using the instructions I have been unable to install SAM on my iMac so without that KDEN doesn't work. While the aircraft included with x-plane is nice, I'd really like to fly the FF A-320 Ultimate. Any old timers have any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I started with Flight Simulator 2 on the Commodore 64 in 1983. Went through all versions throught the 80s and 90s, used FS9 for a long time, then FSX and P3D. Now XP11 and MSFS2020. I have about 50,000 hours on flight sims which works out to about 5.7 years sitting on my butt.

Hi All

I first started with Flight sims on Microsoft FS when it came on 7 3inch floppy disks, slowly building up till Microsoft stopped supporting it, I then gave up till two years ago my son bought me a large comp and a Flight sim XP11 which is a world away from the early days, I joined Threshold early this year but had to stop sitting at a computer, I have some medical problems  but at present they seem to be quite so I have returned  I missed Threshold  such friendly people any one will help if they can  so pleased I found you all looking forward to getting to know a few new friends

Mochafd

I was playing a realy crappy mobile flight game back when i was around 5 or so. Later i came across Extreme Landings, and i fell in love with aviation. Later on i watched a lot of Youtube Videos Infinte flight. After some time i realised that is was mobile too! (it wasn´t that obvious to me because it just looked to good) i started flying the 737 and later bought the Pro subscription. I have spend over 300H on Longhaul. my Longest flight was London-Sydney nonstop. Later i stumbled accros X-Plane 11. I bought a better PC (I7-7700K GTX1080 16GB Ram) and started flying the default planes. Later i found out that there are Free addons so i started installing untill my PC was to bad to handle the sim i had around 5 FPS und medium settings. I Upgraded my PC that was also the first time building one myself (I9-9900K RTX 2060super 32GB Ram) and i finaly could fly without loosing FPS (around 50 FPS) i bought some Payware planes and scenery. and since then im enyoing exploring the virtual skies. I also started developing scenery myself.  

I have been an aviation enthusiast all my life. My life path never took me to a career in aviation although I have taken flight lessons but was not able to finish. I got heavy into flight simulation when MS Flight Simulator 98 was released. I also started playing with X-Plane in its very early years. I bought a CD in 2000. I went to MS Flight Simulator 2000 but skipped 2002. I still have and sometimes run 2004 and FSX. I have X-plane 9 and 10. I now run X-Plane 11.5+ almost exclusively. I tried FS2020 but wasn't impressed with the usability. For now I'm sticking with X-Plane. I just love aviation and flight simming. To me, is the next best thing to the real thing.

Its funny actually.  In Summer 2019 I went on a flight, and was freaked out about the idea of flying.  I hadn't flown in years, and it was somewhat near the 737 max incidents.  I didn't have much appeal to flying super high in the sky rather than driving anyways.  But somehow, out of some miracle, on my flight to my destination I loved it.  Smooth ride, smooth landing, everything about it was incredible, and it was even on a Delta 717-200, which after my flight, I found I was lucky to get a flight on one.  The way back I was on an Airbus A319-100, again Delta, and the engine sounds freaked me out, I thought something was wrong with the plane.  But when I got home something about the trip made me really interested in planes, and I searched on YouTube "plane simulator".  I found videos of X-Plane 11, and that's when it all started.  I probably watched every single video of X-Plane 11 on YouTube within a month, and I really wanted it.  When I got it for Christmas, I got my yoke, X-Plane 11, and started in the default 737.  I guess from there it just kicked off and now I fly regularly in flight sims, and can't wait to get back in the air once covid is over.

• 2 weeks later...

Buenas tardes, 

Estoy aquí, ya que mi afición a la aeronáutica siempre la he tenido, pero por unas cosas y otras no pude terminar de sacarme el carnet de piloto. Ahora ya tras mi jubilación y para no crear temor a mi familia, al final he optado por simulación de vuelo mas que por sacarme realmente la licencia de pilotos ULM, asi que voy a empezar a meterme en este mundo y aprender como funciona esto, tambien aqui estoy tambien para colaborar en lo que pueda. 

Recibid un afectuoso saludo

Hi Folks,

I am an old codger who has had an interest in aviation  since a very small lad building a balsa wood plane with my RAF dad during the second world war.

Built quite a few models over time and had intended to go into the RAF on leaving school. I was lucky to go to a school with a cadet force and started to learn to fly in a chipmunk.

My DAd was not too keen on me going straight into the airforce and asked what I would do if I failed a medical?  So I studied electrical and later electronic engineering which later took me over a lot of the world.

I got my PPL in the UK whilst at University but didnt continue as was living in the middle east and far east for some years. On retirement and a return to the UK I found to my happy surprise I only had to take the skills test and get a radio license to recover the PPL. Recognising I was way out of date I took a course of lessons and my IMC in Florida but unhappy with the quality of training in Florida re took the IMC in the UK.

Having spent some years in the USA I relocated to southern Oregon and spent many hours flying in the north west on a C172 often with my daughter.

The use of FS was very handy to practice various approaches

In the UK I bought a share in a nice aircraft ( Socata TB20) flown mainly to France.

Age finally gets you and I found it too difficult to get the medical sorted so gave up the PPL.

This prompted the purchase of a dedicated home made PC and the introduction to Xplane 11 which I found to be extremely realistic. I mainly fly  twins and to places I have flown to before making use of all the various modern types of approach now we have Sat Navs.

I found your forum today and it looks very interesting so joined.

Mike

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I started after retiring after 35 years of working and looking for a new hobby to keep the grey cells ticking over, so started looking on the internet to try to upgrade the xbox version of Microsoft flight sim gold. Spent several days reviewing various flight sims and came across X-plane 11, I must say what a gem really enhanced my days now in lockdown, fly everyday using the bravo throttle quadrant flying the fab Zibo 737-800, tolliss A319, FFA320, 737-700 and 900. brilliant set of aircraft. Love reading the reviews and posts on Threshold, holds so much info would be lost without it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, Xephyr said:

Hey everybody -

I figured that since all new members are locked in the cargo hold (stowaway class - until you make one comment), why not have a free topic to share something about you and how you got in to this fantastic hobby.

Note: After two comments, you get upgraded to Economy class which grants faster download speeds (so we don't kill our servers) and the ability to start posts.

I'll start:

My granddad first got me into flightsimming with FSX (I know, I know.. late starter) on his brand spanking new Toshiba laptop. I'd constantly do London City EGLC to Heathrow EGLL in the default CRJ-700 in awe of the amazing graphics. Eventually though, I wanted something I could fly at home, instead of when visiting them - enter X-Plane 10. At this point, many would ask why I didn't just get FSX like I was used to. Very reasonable question, though our family only had iMacs. Laminar Research were the only flight-sim brand out there that supported OSX and so the love affair began ? 

X-Plane 10 was sooooo much fun. Though it doesn't look anywhere as nice as XP11 does, I loved it all the same. In 2015, some time after I purchased my first payware aircraft (the FF 777), I got into VATSIM. It is so worth using VATSIM. The feeling of accomplishment after completing my first flight was amazing. X-Plane 11 came around in 2016ish (???). I was a late adopter. The reason being that my iMac couldn't handle it! I eventually built my own computer, since then I'm away and laughing. Here we are - some 13 years after I first tried FSX. 

Please feel free to share your flightsim stories below. I look forward to reading them! 

X-Plane Screenshot 2018.07.29 - 15.31.25.13.png

Started at Meigs with MSFS 3.0 (I believe).   Had every sim since. and even skipped some ground school in real flight training thanks to these huge time suckers!   Hopefully one day, we’ll have a VR sim that doesn’t require constant tweaks and bug reports!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I am working toward my PPL in the U.S. and have been using flight simulators for 20 years. I currently use X-Plane on a MacPro. I just have the horsepower for MSFS 2020. I originally registered here to upload a livery I made, but figured I would introduce myself and learn a thing or two here.

• Like 1