Introduce yourself! What got you using flight sims?

Xephyr

My first post on the ThresholdX forum! The news page is one of my three daily stops!

My first exposure to flight simulation was as a university undergraduate. I had a x386 PC running software for an infrared spectrometer, on which an early FS version had been installed. Black and white wire framed world in 1992/1993... then FS95 and FS98 on Windows 95 and 98 on my first owned PC in the late 90s living in London...

I had FS2004 and FSX for years before moving to P3D, late to the game with version 4. I tried out X-Plane 11 for the first time in 2019 and tend to use that more currently. I haven't installed FS2020 yet, although I do plan on it at some point. I have also dabbled with DCS World, though it is too limited for me with the maps... I prefer the depiction of real-world style terrain...

Andrew

• Like 3

I started flight simulation in 1971, in Air Force Pilot Training with the T-37 and T-38 simulators.  At least, that's what they were called back then - they would be considered Link Trainers, or perhaps AATD's today.

Stepping up to the C-141 brought exposure to full flight simulation with motion ( 3 degrees) but no visual.  When I was hired at the airline in 1977, visuals were added to the experience, and of course eventually I wound up twice a year in a full FAA Level D simulator, although it was not for enjoyment alone, I assure you (not that it wasn't also fun!).

I discovered PC based simulation around 1984, with Bruce Artwick's Flight Simulator, initially for the Atari 800, which was a combination PC and game platform.  When Microsoft bought the product, I switched to an IBM PC and I've been along for the ride ever since, along with Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Simulator, Flight Assignment ATP, Flight Unlimited, XPlane, Aerofly FS2, and a few others I have forgotten. 

I spent a good deal of time with the various FS's honing the airline skillset, particularly after the 767 PIC and other realistic add-ons became available which corresponded to what I was flying at the moment.  They were especially useful for new destination familiarization, and preparation for recurrent training.  I'm sure many new-hires today make use of the "study level" depictions of the A-320 series and the B-737, since that is where most of them end up at first. 

Now, retired, I fly the Cessnas that I fly as a volunteer with Civil Air Patrol, again as a sort of non-logable recurrent training.  Current offerings from both XPlane and MSFS are excellent for that sort of thing.  Some day, hopefully not too soon, a PC is all that I will be able to fly, but I'll still keep at it, if for no other reason than to relive the good old days!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always wanted to become a commercial pilot, but like many others I did not pass the test at that big german airline in 1978. After that I persued a technical education and finished unversity with an engneering degree in aeronautical engineering. After working a short time with a small engine manufacturer  close to Frankfurt/Germany, I was happy to be hired by that big german airline as an maintenance engineer. But I still felt sorry for not having that job with the best office view, so I was happy when PC flight simulation gave me an opportunity. But what a view I had with Microsoft FS4??? With PC technology evolving and better graphic cards, FS5, FS95, FS2002, FS2004 all showed a huge improvement in respect to the visual appearance and airplane systems. Over the years I spend a lot of money for all those add-ons, always looking for more realism. Recently I became a happy X-Plane 11 pilot and the realism is just getting better with every new generation of flight simulators. An of course that gives me a lot opprtunity to spend more money . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a retired ink colorant chemist from the printing industry and a former student pilot. I have been into flight simulators for decades not to mention the fuel costs are cheaper. I formulated colors for several large brand liquor bottle labels such as Bacardi, Jose Cuervo, Sobe, Starbucks etc. and figured I could possibly help out with paint colors.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Im very new at flight sims. Im from Argentina, but my dad worked in Chile for a long time (until 2020), and since I was 3 months old I lived in Chile, but every weekend, I went to Argentina to see my family. So, I flied a lot often, and I started just getting interested in airplanes and aviation in general, I started entering the cockpit and talking with pilots before takeoff, and I was just impressed as how a giant metal bird could fly for hours!

Well, at the age of 4, I started being like an "autodidact", and I learned a lot about what i talked with pilots, I dreamed about being one of them and flying an A320 and things like that, i obviously only knew the basic things, like flaps and that stuff.

But too much time passed since those moments. In 2020, I bought a gamer PC, to play games with my friends and things like that, so, months ago, a random X-Plane video appeared in my recommendations, i watched it and i thought "I don´t know what this is but I want to have it RIGHT NOW", but I actually kinda ignored my intuition and started just investigating on the topic and try to find the one that has the most realistic flight dynamics, the one with the most realistic graphics, and after 1 month I ended deciding for X-Plane 11 and buying it from Steam. 

Since I got the simulator I just play all the time that I can, try to find better addons and plugins to enhance the experience and that stuff. In a few days a Thrustmaster TCA Officer Pack Airbus Edition that I bought recently will arrive (I waited too long and payed a lot on taxes because here I couldn´t find the product in Argentina) and Im so excited for that. 

Thanks for reading, bye!

I was fascinated with airplanes as a kid. My dad worked at a building that overlooked the south complex of the LAX airport so I would sit in his office all day watching airplanes take off and land.  Growing up, my dad bought my first flight sim (FS2004) for me along with a Saitek AV8R-01 yoke. I didn't have the slightest idea how to fly a plane but just taking off out of Meigs Field in the simulator was the coolest thing to me. As I got a little older, my dad then bought me FSX again I was hooked with airplanes. Once I went into high school though, I didn't really touch flight sims, nor did I follow aviation that closely. However, after graduating HS in 2016, my love for aviation reignited. XP11 came out hat year and I purchased it immediately. My first addon was the FF757 and I spent day and night trying to learn the complex systems and just be able to complete a flight between two cities. That was the moment that my childhood dream of becoming a pilot came rushing back to me.

I never would have thought I would use XP11 as a training tool, but in 2018, I started flight training and started looking into professional addons such as PilotEdge to help accelerate my training. Thanks to these programs (and a wonderful CFI), I got through my PPL training just under 6 weeks. It's been almost 3 years since then and I'm now in corporate aviation flying the PC12NG. Although the luxury of time for me no longer exists, I occasionally love to load the sim up and run some flights up and down the west coast in my huge collection of addon aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,  Having been in the Royal Navy for 22 years (15 years as an helicopter Aircrewman and Observer) flying in Wessex and Seaking helis.  I then went on to search and rescue with the Irish Coastguard flying out of Shannon airport. Now retired; my hobby is building and flying fixed and rotary wing R/C aircraft, which I fly as often as I can.  Due to lockdown and Covid, this led me to have a look at X-Plane 11 and am now engrossed flying all around the world from the comfort of my desk at home.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,  The Readers Digest version is that I started with MS Flight Sim 5.1 shortly after actually obtaining my GA certificate in 1995. It was a great way (cheaper) to practice all the skills I learned from my flight instructor. Obviously the sim is not the same as actual pilot in command of a real aircraft but it was a great way to stay sharp and to try various in-flight scenarios.

I continued to upgrade my sim with each new version up to MS FS X. A few years later I switched from Windows based computing to Mac and haven't looked back. Since I was traveling a lot for work I had a MacBook Pro but it was not powerful enough to run X-Plane to my liking. So my flight sim days were over for the past 9 years.

During those years away from the simulator I had retired and hit the road. I've settled back down in a new location outside Phoenix and with that new home I upgraded to iMac. A more powerful machine than my old MacBook and so naturally the first and only program I purchased was X-Plane 11. Love it!

I found Threshold Forums through my exploration of files and upgrades to aircraft and scenery for X-Plane. So, there you have it, my journey to this point.

Side note: When I wasn't using flight simulators I was flying R/C airplanes and helicopters. I do enjoy aircraft and flight! 😁

Edited by AFirefighter

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everybody !
I come from Vietnam, since childhood I have had a passion to become a real pilot later. 
On a chance occasion when I went to a computer accessories store (when I was still using windows 95) 
I accidentally saw a CD titled MSFS 95, so since then I know this Sim, 
I've been playing sims since then, now flying with XPlane is a lot... 
Thanks for reading everyone!

Edited by dhnghi
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I've always had an interest in commercial airplanes since I can remember, as the places where I grew up were located along runway approach paths. One was in Kuwait, probably 13 KM from the airport, and the other in Cairo, about 6 KM only from the airport (airplanes would roughly be about 1000ft above the ground at that point).

My encounters with flight simulation were off an on through the years until recently. I got into flight simulation starting with MS Flight Simulator 3, then played with FS98 a bit, then FS2000, and then FS2002, then nothing for the longest time ever until I got X-Plane 11 to try it, which then became an obsession to understand what the heck an FMC does, and what is a SID and a STAR and why I've never heard of these things before; I only knew a bit of classic navigation. I now have over 600 hours in X-Plane 11.

Flightsimming is a very nostalgic experience for me. I fly to and  from the areas of the world I grew up in, in airplanes that I've seen or been on. I'll usually take screenshots from every, create a cinematic video for YouTube on occasion, and lately I started playing around with livery design as well creating some retro Kuwait Airways liveries, which are not easy to find as the new liveries are much more common.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

Started years ago with FS, now using P3D, XP11 and MSFS, whichever tickles my fancy at a particular time. Won a contest on a stream last year which was a prize courtesy of Threshold as well.. You may also hear me controlling on VATSIM from time to time.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.