XPNG NOVEMBER SCREENSHOT COMPETITION Read more... ×
Xephyr

Introduce yourself! What got you using X-Plane?

Hey everybody -

I figured that since all new members are locked in the cargo hold (stowaway class - until you make 2 comments), why not have a free topic to share something about you and how you got in to this fantastic hobby.

Note: After two comments, you get upgraded to Economy class which grants faster download speeds (so we don't kill our servers) and the ability to start posts.

I'll start:

My granddad first got me into flightsimming with FSX (I know, I know.. late starter) on his brand spanking new Toshiba laptop. I'd constantly do London City EGLC to Heathrow EGLL in the default CRJ-700 in awe of the amazing graphics. Eventually though, I wanted something I could fly at home, instead of when visiting them - enter X-Plane 10. At this point, many would ask why I didn't just get FSX like I was used to. Very reasonable question, though our family only had iMacs. Laminar Research were the only flight-sim brand out there that supported OSX and so the love affair began ? 

X-Plane 10 was sooooo much fun. Though it doesn't look anywhere as nice as XP11 does, I loved it all the same. In 2015, some time after I purchased my first payware aircraft (the FF 777), I got into VATSIM. It is so worth using VATSIM. The feeling of accomplishment after completing my first flight was amazing. X-Plane 11 came around in 2016ish (???). I was a late adopter. The reason being that my iMac couldn't handle it! I eventually built my own computer, since then I'm away and laughing. Here we are - some 13 years after I first tried FSX. 

Please feel free to share your flightsim stories below. I look forward to reading them! 

X-Plane Screenshot 2018.07.29 - 15.31.25.13.png

• Like 6

My path to X-Plane 11 was weird, expensive, and adventurous. Back in 2010, I tried my first flight simulator. It was FS2002 ?. Basically, my computer was old, slow, and just flat out bad. It was a Toshiba computer, with an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gigabytes of RAM, and to top it off, Windows Vista. Not only did Vista confine me to FS2002 (2004 ironically required XP or 7), but it also made the computer run miserably slow. So I kinda gave up on desktop flight simming, and I actually tried Infinite Flight for several years. Okay, now fast forward to 2015. I got a real laptop (my current one). It has a GTX960M 4GB, Intel Core i7 6700HQ, and 8GB of dedotated wam. So, I could get a real flight simulator. I bought X-Plane 10 (it was the CD version, lol). Turns out, X-Plane 10 is suuuuper awful to use (as a super scrub beginner). I remembered looking through the settings thinking to myself "WTF IS THIS AND HOW DO I USE IT". Eventually I gave up, and caved to FSX Steam Edition. It was okay, but I knew I could do better, so I tried Aerofly FS2. As I flip flopped between FSX and Aerofly for a year and half, I became more educated with my flying skills, and my simulator knowledge. Now we fast forward to mid/late 2016. I saw several videos of X-Plane 11 in action. Now, this is 2 years younger stubborn me. So I impulse bought the beta of X-Plane 11(although to be fair, I did try the free trial version). I instantly fell in love with its graphics, but the real thing that brought me in were the frame rates. They were absolutely buttery for my system! And they still are to this day (although at times things can get a bit hairy). My first payware aircraft for X-Plane 11 was the 757 v2, objectively one of the best aircraft developed for X-Plane in recent years. And that is my flight simulator adventure, what a fustercluck ?

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, KJO said:

My path to X-Plane 11 was weird, expensive, and adventurous. Back in 2010, I tried my first flight simulator. It was FS2002 ?. Basically, my computer was old, slow, and just flat out bad. It was a Toshiba computer, with an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gigabytes of RAM, and to top it off, Windows Vista. Not only did Vista confine me to FS2002 (2004 ironically required XP or 7), but it also made the computer run miserably slow. So I kinda gave up on desktop flight simming, and I actually tried Infinite Flight for several years. Okay, now fast forward to 2015. I got a real laptop (my current one). It has a GTX960M 4GB, Intel Core i7 6700HQ, and 8GB of dedotated wam. So, I could get a real flight simulator. I bought X-Plane 10 (it was the CD version, lol). Turns out, X-Plane 10 is suuuuper awful to use (as a super scrub beginner). I remembered looking through the settings thinking to myself "WTF IS THIS AND HOW DO I USE IT". Eventually I gave up, and caved to FSX Steam Edition. It was okay, but I knew I could do better, so I tried Aerofly FS2. As I flip flopped between FSX and Aerofly for a year and half, I became more educated with my flying skills, and my simulator knowledge. Now we fast forward to mid/late 2016. I saw several videos of X-Plane 11 in action. Now, this is 2 years younger stubborn me. So I impulse bought the beta of X-Plane 11(although to be fair, I did try the free trial version). I instantly fell in love with its graphics, but the real thing that brought me in were the frame rates. They were absolutely buttery for my system! And they still are to this day (although at times things can get a bit hairy). My first payware aircraft for X-Plane 11 was the 757 v2, objectively one of the best aircraft developed for X-Plane in recent years. And that is my flight simulator adventure, what a fustercluck ?

Infinite Flight! One step forward two steps back! What a roller coaster journey you’ve had ?

• Like 3

I've always loved planes since I was a little kid. I remember when I was a kid, I looked forward to the flight and adventure to get there just as much as the actual vacation itself! When I was 13, I was introduced to flight simulation when I picked up FS2004 when it was on sale at Best Buy. My computer at the time was a potato, so it did not run it that well, but I sure had a great time on the few flights I did do with it (none of which I completed, I basically took off, flew around, and then shut off the sim since I did not know how to land).

For a few years, I did not touch FS9 until I was 19. That is when I gave FS9 another shot and actually learned how to do basic flights on the default 737. I would fly FS9 periodically every now and then for the next 3 years since it was the most advanced flight simulator I could use that would run on my laptop at the time. I was in college at the time, and was also in a fraternity and design groups, so I did not have too much time to do flights. And when I did fly, they were always less than 2 hours because I would speed up the simulator to 16x.

Later on, I ended up buying a gaming laptop. That is when I gave XP9 my first try. Smooth performance and price (because it was cheaper and easier to run than XP10 at the time) were important to me. It was a brand new experience, but I got used to it. I did quite a few flights with the EADT x737. I have a love-hate relationship with that plane because of some annoying glitches, but overall, I was satisfied. I then got FSX: Steam Edition, but for some reason, it did not have the same wow factor as FS9. It would have if it was not for the fact I was a college student on a budget at the time with limited specs... Anyway, I eventually got XP10 on Steam about 2 years ago on my gaming desktop. That is when I really was getting hooked on X-Plane because that was around the time we were seeing more addons (like the JAR, Flight Factor planes and Mister X's freeware airports) for it, stuff that was not offered before.  I can't remember what my first payware plane was (it was either the JAR A320 or FF767), but I do remember when I got the BSS soundpack for the JAR, things were finally getting real! The rest is history.

• Like 5

Very good idea, Sam! I'll add to this then ?   

image.png

My first simming experience was F/A 18 Interceptor. I have no clue how many hours I spent in that "simulator" but that intro music has burned itself into my soul and has become a part of me. This was on my Amiga 2000 that I got in 1989 and it was my pride and joy. I knew early on that I was a gamer and I think my father quickly gave up on trying to get me off my precious treasure. A couple of years later I got my first PC. A 486 that ran Microsoft flight simulator 4.0 (Or was it 3.0? Don't remember). I remember seeing one of the first MSFS (1.0 or 2.0) as a young child and never could get the damn plane over the mountain that was in the flight path off the runway. The green triangle just got closer and closer until the windshield broke... I started building computers at the age of 16 to try to keep up with my addiction to good graphics in the cheapest way possible. Voodoo by 3dfx.. with 4MB of EDO RAM.. And then the all mighty Voodoo2! What a boost! Memories of past harware ? I later even made it into a second income - building, fixing and teaching IT.

I probably skipped the MSFS series between MSFS 4.0 and FS95. FS95 was awesome and I followed Microsoft Flight Simulator every step up to FSX SE from there. Then I jumped on the P3D wagon and have spent an unknown amount of money on addons.  Throughout my love affair with MSFS, FSX and P3D I always kept an eye on the oddball X-Plane but FSX GUI was so much easier to relate to and prettier in so many ways. That was until X-Plane 10. That is where I discovered ortho4xp and a whole bunch of stuff that made the sim look on par with my super expensive P3D install. But for the fraction of the price. I moved back and forth between them but XP11 completely converted me and kept me from investing any more money or time in P3D. I haven't even looked back and I don't miss anything.

Not the most interesting story perhaps, but it's mine ? 

image.thumb.png.00379b808b43bca6a69ac77bb2a1497b.png

• Like 7

Didn't really start off in a simulator like FS98. I really got into fighter jet games from the 90s like USNF 97. My dad would teach me how to shoot down MIGs and SAM sites and he always bugged me about using the ILS system to land on aircraft carriers. I actually liked it. My first computer (family computer) had like Windows 2000 parts inside basically with 512 MB of ram and like a 16 bit OS. I cannot remember the graphics card or CPU since it's such a old machine At that time it was blazing fast. In 2018, I can't believe it still turns on. Boy, I had so much fun shooting down AI with my F14 Tomcat. After like a few years of playing. I got into the beautiful world of simulation I started from FS95, FS98, then FSX. I never really knew how much hours I reeled in but I can tell you I played the hella out of that. I would soon come to find me flying commercial aircraft a lot rather than fighters. Picked up FSX: SE around early 2016, nothing much changed or really happened. Didn't bother with P3D I knew it was just a clone of FSX.  Then in 2017, I saw X-Plane 11, I holded off  I joined the x-plane community in silence. It was the first time I've picked up a x-plane product "x-plane 11" it changed my life. I was so amazed how realistic it was by default. I was blindsided that there was a free 737 add-on called Zibo that changed the 737 in so many ways that it is once step closer to the real thing and there was no good add-on for the 737 in FSX for free. I did miss a few things from FSX though like missions, ATC, a variety of airplanes and etc. Ever since I owned X-Plane 11 I never regretted making my choice to x plane or came back to fsx.

• Like 2

I'll always remember what kick-started my love of aviation: a touchdown in Antalya, Turkey, on-board a Thomas Cook Airlines Airbus A321 at night, and whilst looking out the window, I remember thinking airliners are definitely something I want to pursue. That was 8 years ago.

Not sure if anyone here was a big user of Google Earth (the desktop application), but it came with a flight simulator (and it still works now!). That's where I started to fly in the virtual skies, whilst doing a lot of Googling and discovering real-world procedures.

Then two years later in 2012, I got my hands on X-Plane 10. I remember struggling to decide between FSX and X-Plane, but I definitely made the right decision! X-Plane helped me to discover more real-world procedures, but I never spent a penny on any software for it. X-Plane 10 was more helpful in learning the absolute fundamentals and inner-workings of X-Plane, but I never really got it to look realistic until I got Real Terra Haze and the X737 in harmony with each other. But even then, it still looked somewhat poor.

Then X-Plane 11 came around, and I decided I would make it as real as possible, whilst pushing my knowledge of airliners and aviation. Hundreds of hours of Googling, fiddling, CTDs and $500 of software later, X-Plane now certainly looks the part, and to top it off, I have some great airliners in my fleet that I can now fly on Vatsim, following real-world procedures.

But of course, when you're still young and are a loyal uesr of X-Plane, you just know it will only get better with time. So here's to the next 8 years!

• Like 5

I flew on my first plane when I was 4, and have been hooked ever since. I started simming on with the xplane 9 demo, and got into full airliner flights in xplane 11 with the zibo 737 and the jar a320. I have upgraded to the toliss now.

• Like 4

Well well ? I started flight-simming 3 years ago, I remember that I download X-Plane 10 demo that night coz I was kinda boring ? And decided to try some new stuff other than just playing CSGO all day long? when I load into my local airport (KBUR) with the default 747, I was kinda shocked that all around the airport was just water LMAO, and at that time I have absolutely no experience or knowledge about aviation, I try to mess around and found out how to add thrust to the engines, so I decided to take off with no flaps and rotate at 100 knots, and ofc I overran and "dropped" into the water coz the runway is just 5800ft, and then I brought XP10 the next morning and decided to put effort in research about aviation knowledge, physics and to flight sim etc... my first payware was the x737? but I still manage to learn something from it and with the combination of RTH, and it looks awesome. Well, people may ask why I'm using XP11 but not FSX or P3D, the reason is similar to others, I'm using an iMac and only X-Plane support the OSX system :classic_rolleyes:

I wasn't in the XP11 community until April 2018, coz I got no money spare for flight sim before that and my mac is like 8 yrs old(The RAM is just 8GB lmao), and there are other motivations that make me really jealous of XP11, one of which the graphics, the Zibo 737, which is obviously much better than the x737, and developers that make plugins and payware aircrafts are no longer supporting XP10, so I decided to build a new PC like others and integrated into the community of XP11, And here am I ?  I don't regret it any part of it coz I know that X-Plane 11 is the future ?

Screenshot (28).png

• Like 5

I am a student from china,I am not good at English.So I decide to use Chinese to tell my story with story.Google transformer can't speak clearly,and I don‘t want any grammatical errors to cause some misunderstanding.

我还记得那是一个无聊的下午,我当时窝在沙发上看纪录片,当时播放的是伟大工程-A380,然后我意识到,没错,那就是我喜欢的。因为一些原因,我很少有机会乘坐飞机。直到我在网路浏览时,我进入了一个介绍网页,当然不是xp10,我的朋友。在网上找的海盗版带着大量的病毒几乎摧毁了我的电脑,我由此变成了一个深度电脑用户,Q8200 Geforce 9800GT,运行FSX都很吃力。但当我换了电脑后,我开始不满于fsx的气动模拟精度,特别是我购入了T16000M后,我在steam上购买了xp10——来自朋友的极力推荐。我有点后悔,因为steam用户并不能直接升级到xp11.但是xp11在steam上发售后,我又第一时间购入,我为它的表现感到惊喜。从来都没有这么多的建筑和飞机能在如此高质量的光照下以一个友善的帧率在我的电脑上呈现。当然,Frank的Dolomiti 3D不属于对我的帧率友好的那种,它几乎杀死了我的电脑和我的钱包,但在其他地区飞行时,16GB的RAM和GTX 970的表现从不让我失望。现在我开始尝试着加入xp11的风景套件开发,如果有兴趣的话可以查看这个链接http://www.aericaps.org/?p=17005

你知道吗?xp11在中国的故事,才刚刚开始,未来是不可估量的!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IMAX_Mango said:

I am a student from china,I am not good at English.So I decide to use Chinese to tell my story with story.Google transformer can't speak clearly,and I don‘t want any grammatical errors to cause some misunderstanding.

我还记得那是一个无聊的下午,我当时窝在沙发上看纪录片,当时播放的是伟大工程-A380,然后我意识到,没错,那就是我喜欢的。因为一些原因,我很少有机会乘坐飞机。直到我在网路浏览时,我进入了一个介绍网页,当然不是xp10,我的朋友。在网上找的海盗版带着大量的病毒几乎摧毁了我的电脑,我由此变成了一个深度电脑用户,Q8200 Geforce 9800GT,运行FSX都很吃力。但当我换了电脑后,我开始不满于fsx的气动模拟精度,特别是我购入了T16000M后,我在steam上购买了xp10——来自朋友的极力推荐。我有点后悔,因为steam用户并不能直接升级到xp11.但是xp11在steam上发售后,我又第一时间购入,我为它的表现感到惊喜。从来都没有这么多的建筑和飞机能在如此高质量的光照下以一个友善的帧率在我的电脑上呈现。当然,Frank的Dolomiti 3D不属于对我的帧率友好的那种,它几乎杀死了我的电脑和我的钱包,但在其他地区飞行时,16GB的RAM和GTX 970的表现从不让我失望。现在我开始尝试着加入xp11的风景套件开发,如果有兴趣的话可以查看这个链接http://www.aericaps.org/?p=17005

你知道吗?xp11在中国的故事,才刚刚开始,未来是不可估量的!

I've quickly run it through Google Translate - don't worry about grammar errors, you can blame that on Translate!

"I still remember that it was a boring afternoon. I was sitting on the sofa watching a documentary. I was playing the great project - A380, and then I realized that yes, that is what I like. For some reason, I rarely had the opportunity to fly. I was browsing the Internet, I entered an introduction page, of course not xp10, my friend. The pirate version I found on the Internet had a lot of viruses almost destroyed my computer. I became a deep computer user, Q8200 Geforce 9800GT, so running FSX was very difficult. But when I changed the computer, I began to be dissatisfied with the aerodynamic simulation accuracy of fsx. Especially after I purchased the T16000M, I bought xp10 on steam - highly recommended by friends. I regret a bit, because the steam user can't directly upgrade to xp11. But after xp11 is released on steam, I bought it for the first time, and I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. There have never been so many buildings and airplanes that can be presented on my computer at such a good frame rate with such high quality lighting. Of course, Frank's Dolomiti 3D is not the kind of frame rate that is friendly to me. It almost killed my computer and my wallet, but when I was flying in other areas, the performance of 16GB RAM and GTX 970 never let me Disappointed. Now I am trying to join the xp11 landscape suite development. If you are interested, you can check out this link http://www.aericaps.org/?p=17005 . The story of xp11 in China has only just begun, and the future is immeasurable!"

Looking forward to seeing more!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being a "rusted on" FSX, then P3D user I tried x-plane 8 a few years ago, and tbh, thought meh! Models were average, scenery average, but it did give me better frame rates, but there was not enough CRC to "un rust" me, so like many, I bought addons for FSX/P3D to the tune of around 1k or so and was happy chappy.

I was looking thru Youtube a few weeks back and stumbled on a clip entitled real or not, or is this real? (Can't recall the title exactly) It was a passengers eye view of Corfu, and when I saw that it was done on x-plane 11, I thought bl**dy hell, that looked seriously good. Then I saw the default 738, then the Zibo Mod, and the ULT 739, with all the reflections, scenery with natural haze, HDR, and I was sold

There is a growing community here, and I suspect at a rapid rate, with sooooo many free addons, authored by talented individuals!

I havn't used P3D since, but still keep my FSX install, which is a period install (1970) for "spotting" at EGCC where I spent my pre teen years

Loving X-Plane 11

Cheers  Chris

Edited by Statesman
Speeeling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Statesman said:

作为一个“生锈”的FSX,然后P3D用户我几年前尝试过x-plane 8,而且tbh,想到了!模特是平均的,风景平均,但它确实给了我更好的帧速率,但没有足够的CRC来“防锈”我,所以像许多人一样,我为FSX / P3D购买了大约1k左右的插件并且是快乐的chappy。

几个星期前我正在通过Youtube寻找并发现一个名为“真实与否”的剪辑,或者这是真的吗?(不能完全回想起这个标题)这是乘客对科孚岛的一个看法,当我看到它是在x-plane 11上完成的时候,我觉得它很糟糕,看起来非常好看。然后我看到默认的738,然后是Zibo Mod和ULT 739,所有的反射,自然阴霾的风景,HDR和我被卖了

这里有一个不断发展的社区,我怀疑这个社区正在迅速发展,有很多免费插件,由才华横溢的人撰写!

从那时起我就没有使用过P3D了,但是仍然保留了我的FSX安装,这是一个安装时间(1970年),用于在EGCC“发现”,我花了我的青少年时间

爱X平面11

干杯克里斯

Me too,fsx still working well,I use it to compared someplace which I believe it has problem in Xplane

• Like 1

I started with X Plane 10 four years ago.  I am now using the latest X Plane 11 and almost always fly the Zibo B 738X.  I am loving the way it is growing in complexity and improving in flight characteristics.  I have contributed twice and am getting ready to do it again!

• Like 3

Hi, I started with Flight Simulator 2004 many years ago, just loved flying, upgraded to FSX and then found the PMDG 737 NG, I was hooked and have been ever since, loaded Orbx world scenery and never looked back, still have it on my old computer, however it appears the program will never be any better than it is now so I looked for an alternative and found X-Plane, after a few flights and using the Ultimate it is now my TGT flight sim, the lights, the feel, everything looks and feels good, and it appears the upgrades will keep coming, Frame rate is excellent, glad I made the move.

Edited by Phill May
  • Like 3

I started with Flight Simulator X back in 2010. I mainly flew the default 737 on the Steam multiplayer, until years later when I had enough experience to join Vatsim comfortably. It wasn't until November of last year when my friend begged me to buy X-Plane 11. Being a FSX fanboy at the time, it was hard to think about merging over to a completely different simulator, which was way more complex. I was finally convinced to buy it. I was just amazed with the beautiful graphics and physics of X-Plane 11. I was shocked that there was a modified 737 completely  for free that had almost all of the controls modeled! I was amazed how you could also changed the default graphics to even better gorgeous ones for free! To this day, I am still glad I have converted to X-Plane 11.

• Like 3

I started simming when I was young with MS 2002.  I have loved aviation for aslong as I remember!  As time progressed so did my simultor of choice.  Eventually in 2012 setteling down with FSX.  At first I was content with freeware products then as time went by I gopt more interested in more complex and deep simulation so I fell in love with PMDG products.  Around the start of the year I joind up to the X plane page on faebook and could see some really exciting stuff that was miles ahead of FSX.  I did not want to buy P3D due to having to spend literaly hundreds of ££'s on pmdg again.  So I have since jumped and my affiliation with MS products are over.  The only thing I miss in X plane 11 is time compression but with everything in life there will have to be a compromise along the way somewhere.  X plane is on the rise and the future.  I hope there are many happy years on this form to come!

Happy simming

Scotgr

• Like 2

I started simming in the late nineties - what got me going and originally intriuged about XPlane since v8; hesitated cause eye candy was a dealbreaker.  Anyhoe, being that ESP is as it is basically being repacked and rescaled.  With introduction of v11 in conjunction, with my few years of vacancy...what got me started into XPlane was not primarily the eye candy upgrades & more.  It was the physics and flight model...definitively!  It feels like you're flying - Remember the Beta /early on... I felt the plane, stickshaking, wind... it all!  Was instantly hooked and its only gone up.  After growing up on the Microsoft platform, since grown indifferent & sparse to addons.  Being that I seem to be lost in mid-2005-07 ish when with MS... around 2011 was burned out... XPlane made me a fan from first day I invested in a mild yoke system and flew the Beta again (after giving away + thrashing my equipment; or some of it either way)... shortly on followed with getting the whole lot - and then as setting up shop, my rig then, not available to resume flight status.  I now feel like my little child again!  Thank you Laminar!

Regards,

• Like 2

I think my first sim was on a Sinclair Spectrum, then Atari ST before I started on Ms FS on the early PCs. One highlight was landing a Lear jet on a carrier. But then lost interest. In the mean time I few a bit of DCS then after a very long break I briefly flew FSX on Steam before I discovered  X-Plane. Currently love Pipistrel Panthera for GA and taking tentative steps into airliners via Zibo Mod. Very complex compared to GA and so much to learn, which I am really enjoying!

Edited by Tizrak
  • Like 2

ive always been into flight simming as a kid - gave it up for many years, stumbled upon captain canada and realized the world really brought flight simming up to date - been in love with xplane (my wallet has too) ever since :)

• Like 1

My first flight sim was X-Plane 8.. I remember I was not even able to land that plane and all I did all the time was taking off in the a380, flying around and crashing.. then I started to be an aviation fan and I interested in Flight Sim so I decided to buy X-Plane 11 :)

• Like 1

I have started 1985 my first virtual flight, with a Spectrum ZX and the only moves you could make than, was take-off and Landind in a black and white enviroment without any outside graphics at all! Only when FS2 came out it was possible to do some "flight", after that the path was propably like for most in my age, FS4-FS9 to FSX, P3D and finaly XP11! I downloaded the trial version of X-plane during a VATSIM flight, after  a chat with another pilot who was flying at the same route that night, and he was just "converted" from P3D to X-plane!!! After my landing i tried it out! I took me only to take off with the default 737 to download the full version, and after that i never looked back!

• Like 1

Hey, this will be quite a bit of story, I mean not like super exciting like I was walking through some mountain, found an ancient artifact, and told me to get X-Plane 11. ? No. Put that "big chunk of text" expectation allll the way down. Just another story. That's it. But I thought I'd just write it out and put it somewhere!   (also if anyone can tell me how to put that "show/hide"I'll surely do that to my story haha)

Hmm... Where to start. Well, I wasn't very interested in aviation at all at the beginning. I was a train boy! Why? I was born in Japan. Trains were EVERYWHERE, especially where I lived for a big chunk of my life, Tokyo. Anything that you can drive, I got interested, and trains happened to be the one standing out to me. (I still love 'em!) Years passed without too much interest in aviation - I had part of my family in the USA, so I did fly on planes, but it wasn't something I was super duper interested in. But looking back, I seriously miss the 747-400s that I got to fly on haha. Wish I can time travel back! Then something happened- moving. Across Pacific. ? Yeah, all the way to California. It was quite surprising to me, but we had our reasons, and we agreed on that decision. 

I had super bad English back then. I'm still not too confident with my English today, either. ? All the trains were gone too- We live near LAX, trains were there but not as much as there were in Tokyo... But what was there, more than Japan? PLANES! Little by little, I got interested in them. I started watching FSX videos, thinking "wow, that's pretty cool!" But I really didn't have any pc to actually try it myself.. I had old iPad though. And what I got instead?   You probably guessed it... Infinite Flight! ? It had even worse graphics and sounds back then. I recently listened to clips of older MSFS and it sounded exactly like that... Strange! But it really sparked me into Aviation- even though I had no idea how to fly, messing around with throttle and yoke, crashing and stalling and taking off at 300 knots with no flaps... and even calling a gear-crushing landing a "good landing" haha. It also kind of helped me through English- the communications you hear through some youtube videos were super cool. I still watch them, like VASAviation and others. 

But I wanted more... And I received my parents' old Dell Inspiron that cost $2k back then around 2007 but lacks severely in today's standards. It was enough to run... You guessed it.... FSX!  I've got the steam edition, and the first thing on the logbook, and I still have the log... Is default F/A-18 on Area 51. ? Probably got some AFP95 blood in me! With the good ol' Mad Catz flight stick that I still haven't gotten around replacing it yet, I started flying a whole metric ton of flying on it. It wasn't any like, payware quality stuff, but I still enjoyed with the POSKY and TDS and many other free add-ons that are still available today. I also joined this community called FSXCC... and competed others at landing jets in crazy places while having fun talking to others! Even though it had no PMDG, no Orbx, no Aerosoft, no fancy payware... I still had a BLAST of fun out of FSX. Before I knew it, I logged 1,000 hours on FSX in a year.

It was definitely time to upgrade from the old laptop to a proper system. I mean, it's only an ivy bridge i5 and a GTX 1050 ti, and I still use it to this day. It's nearing the end of 2017... yeah, a little late, but with a far more capable system.. I decided to try... and finally I can say... X-Plane 11!!! yaaaay!! xD  It absolutely BLEW MY MIND with the stunning graphics as well as the quality of the default aircraft. It surely was a joy to actually feel the airplane instead of planes being on rails. ? I went through Threshold as well as many other community websites to find tons of amazing sceneries and plug-ins and add-ons, and I stumbled upon this little freeware that's called... uhh how do you spell this? zeebo? zeybu? oh right... Zibo 737!!! I almost lost it honestly... Being used to that previously mentioned POSKY and TDS and others, I was simply blown away and almost thought I was illegally pirating or something. It was that good. I had so much time playing around with it, and it's sparked me even more interest in aviation. And it's getting even better. The X-Plane as a whole is getting better. Heck, it brought me as far as asking a Cessna 172 demo flight for my holiday's gift! It was so much fun while impressing my instructor that day. ?

It's only been a couple years since I've moved to California. Yeah, that means I'm still not like, a 10k hour fs pilot, but I don't care, I'm still the same people who like planes!

I definitely still consider myself a "newbie," but I think I've discovered so much more just by getting into X-Plane. You know, imagine yourself, FSX with low settings, all the way up to X-Plane with stunning, free, add-ons. Within just a few weeks. That's one HUGE transition if I do say so myself, and I have zero regrets, and consider every penny I spent on X-Plane 11 worth it! Still being a teenager without much money, X-Plane's value and community support made me really just, love it. The upcoming freeware is exciting, and new freeware releases never cease to amaze me! Slowly getting into payware stuff too... The IXEG flies beautifully! Can't wait for the rotate with the stunning-looks MD-11... ?

I'd like to thank Laminar and the X-Plane community for being part of this huge inspiration of myself into Aviation when I was lost without the trains. I still love them... But Planes are awesome, too! ? 

I'm super sorry for super long post, holy cow!   I guess I really wanted to talk about this!  Did I just write so much story out of like... 5 years? I'm so crazy xD

Cheers,

WolfAir

• Like 3