XPNG NOVEMBER SCREENSHOT COMPETITION Read more... ×
Xephyr

Introduce yourself! What got you using X-Plane?

I started playing the first MSFS on an old Compaq Portable PC in the mid 80's(It was as big as a small suitcase with a small monochrome green screen and it weighed a ton.) I progressed through all of the MSFS sims up to FSXSE. I first started with X-plane at X-Plane 7. I left X-plane and flew FS9 and then FSX until I tried X-Plane 11 for the first time. I have since erased FSX and now fly XP11 exclusively. It is hands down the best sim. I know it has a few quirks, but it's worth it.

Hello fellow Sim Captains!

As a youngster I was enamored with flying.  I thought I might enter into the world via military aviation but life took me in other directions.  To this day I consider myself an unfulfilled aviator. :classic_sad:  However, when I discovered flight games and now flight sims for computer I found a gateway into reducing that void.  I have been a simmer starting with the Microsoft Flight Simulators and moved to X-Plane 9, 10 and 11 when Microsoft ended new development for their product.  I am looking forward  "to infinity...and BEYOND!" (quote from the animated character Buzz Lightyear of the movie Toy Story) in the flight sim world.  Currently I use an iMac and am a little disappointed that things that are PC available but for Mac....coming soon. Hopefully over time this will become less of an issue.  I am an AVID fan of the magnificent Zibo 738 and jump on his latest updates as soon as they are released.  I also sim with a JAR A320 NEO and Magknight 787.  Boeing gets the nod in North America and the Airbus is called into service for flights in Europe.  My favorite livery for Boeing is United Airlines and Lufthansa for Airbus.  I am glad to find this forum and look with anticipation to the continued development on the 739 Ultimate so it may become a valued addition to  my sim fleet.  There are many to thank for our little world and I would like to specifically mention the good folks at Laminar for their X-Plane sim.

X-Plane, stil my favourite flight sim, just flew to Bogata from Sydney, quite a trip, had to speed sim up a few times however very satisfying, flew the 737 Ultimate without a hitch, landing was shaky but safe, look forward to further upgrades, keep up the great work please.

So I'm a REAL newbie.  I've thought about becoming a pilot for years.  Have the time and money now, and just bought a Cirrus SR22T G6 GTS plane.  From everything I can tell, it's really a nice bird.   I will start my student pilot training next month (yes, I bought the plane before learning how to fly!).   

I want to be able to take regional flights in the US Rocky Mountain region, with my family.   I've got some convincing to do!

I Installed X-Plane 11 on my 2015 iMac, and it seems to run fine.  I've downloaded airport scenery for KHCR (Heber UT) and KGPI (Glacier National Park, MT), where we will do a lot of our trips.  I found the Carenado SR22T, and though I'm having a little trouble right now getting the plane to load, it did once before.  I am hoping that using X-Plane 11 with my actual plane and actual airports, I can accelerate my learning process (though I have no "schedule" or "deadline" ... I want to be a SAFE pilot!).

I am looking forward to being in the air, even when I'm sitting at my desk, as well as interacting with a lot of real and sim pilots.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kayrjay said:

So I'm a REAL newbie.  I've thought about becoming a pilot for years.  Have the time and money now, and just bought a Cirrus SR22T G6 GTS plane.  From everything I can tell, it's really a nice bird.   I will start my student pilot training next month (yes, I bought the plane before learning how to fly!).   

I want to be able to take regional flights in the US Rocky Mountain region, with my family.   I've got some convincing to do!

I Installed X-Plane 11 on my 2015 iMac, and it seems to run fine.  I've downloaded airport scenery for KHCR (Heber UT) and KGPI (Glacier National Park, MT), where we will do a lot of our trips.  I found the Carenado SR22T, and though I'm having a little trouble right now getting the plane to load, it did once before.  I am hoping that using X-Plane 11 with my actual plane and actual airports, I can accelerate my learning process (though I have no "schedule" or "deadline" ... I want to be a SAFE pilot!).

I am looking forward to being in the air, even when I'm sitting at my desk, as well as interacting with a lot of real and sim pilots.

buying a real plane before even knowing how the plane itself works! what a courage! I sure hope you'll like it ?

Thanks for the support.  I've got a few friends with SR22Ts, and a fantastic CFI, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.  Obviously, lots to learn, and I will take my time before my first solo.  I've been reading and studying, and learning so much.  My son-in-law will be learning with me, so it's a great bonding experience, and we'll frequently have two pilots.

Glad to be joining this community!

• Like 1

I started with FS3.1 and have been with the FS community since. I've been mostly painting, developing small things like AFCADS, sceneries, and plugins. I had X-Plane since v9 but kept uninstalling it due to my laziness in trying to learn the old interface. I started taking it seriously when the IXEG 737 got released for v10. Been hooked since. Made a few plugins and helped fixed some other plugins and more recently finished another script to fix the infinite haze issue XP has been long plague with. It's called X-Visibility and it's available here and on the org.

Edited by JordanChin

I've been doing flight simulation since I purchased my Commodore 128 (yikes!) back in the day.  I've been through all the MS flight sim's since "95" except for FSX.  Seems I always had a computer that was a couple of steps behind where the flight sim software lived.  I finally concluded that flying for real was the only way to get ahead of the tech curve.  I got my PPL SEL / Instrument ticket in the mid 90's and purchase a C182Q (1980) along with a couple of other guys shortly thereafter.  I retired in my 60's and moved to where the grandkids lived - had to sell back my share of the aircraft.  That's when I picked up XP10 when it was released and found I was still a couple of steps behind in hardware.  It was XP11 that prompted me to build my first computer - totally addicted to the performance I'm looking to build my next rig early next year.  I really enjoy flying the AFM Mooney - the flight model feels very good.  I just need to get better at reading tapes - you know, I'm an old steam gauge guy...LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey guys!

I started with X-Plane 10 back in the day. I bought and installed it only to HATE it a few minutes later. I felt it was a waste of money because I hated it so much. After my old toaster (computer) refused to run FSX anymore, I was forced to switch to XP10 which had MUCH better performance. A few flights in XP10 and I was hooked. Ever since then, I've been loving X-Plane for the amazing freeware that some community members make as well as the incredible community that surrounds it.

Because of my gratitude towards everyone that makes this community shine, I have started to fill the void of 3rd party liveries. It's my way of giving back to those which I have benefitted so much from.

The future looks bright!

Cheers,

• Like 2

Hola,como estan.

Antes que nada agradecer el tiempo que emplean para mejorar el simulador.

Yo como imagino la mayoria ,tengo la inquietud del sindrome de pajaro, poder volar y me quede al menos en esta vida,con las ganas de ser piloto comercial.

Pase por varios simuladores,me crei piloto desde el FS2004 !!!!.

Creo el X-PLANE 11 es lo mas cercano a la realidad virtual que existe .

INCREIBLEMENTE FIEL A LA REALIDAD.

Espero a mi edad 57,poder llegar a ver lo maximo que puedan construir en simulacion aerea ,aunque el limite no existe.

Un abrazo y Gracias, Alvaro.

Hello everyone,

I’ve been into airplanes and flying for as long as I can remember. I used to live in Suburb between Baltimore, MD and DC and recall catching the British Airways Concorde flying over on the way to Dulles airport. I recall seeing many old airliners flying over my home and that started the “look up” syndrome that lives with me to this day. 

I started flight simulators as soon as I had my first PC. Well, almost. I don’t recall any titles for the Commodore Vic 20. My first real computer was the Apple IIc in the early 80s. I immediately took to the early Sub Logic/MS flight simulator 1.0 - Complete with stick-figure polygons and frame rates that would make us cry today - couldn’t have been more than like 5-6 fps. My, how spoiled we’ve become!  I’ve purchased every MS flight simulator title since then. I bought X-Plane 9, well, because it was another Sim to try. Unfortunately, it was a short stint. No descent planes, horrible scenery ( compared to what I was used to with MSFS) so off it went. Why I still have the box for it, I’ll never know ? 

I picked up XP10 and things started getting interesting. I was heavily invested in FSX but was always intrigued by XPs “feel” compared to FSX. And it generally ran better on my aging PC ( 2 years ago I finally replaced a 13 year old Dell XPS desktop with a home built powerhouse). Then I tried XP11 and was blown away by the graphics, stunning night lighting and started saying, “why the hell would anybody keep flying FSX?” . And so I finally kicked FSX to the curb in 2017. But the habit continued because I HAD to have a proper A320 - one of my favorite commercial airliners so I ended up buying P3D JUST for FSLs A320. But I’ve steadilly added to XP11 and it is my default sim at this point thanks to few great add-ons, awesome airports and stunning Ortho4XP FREE scenery mesh. Take note, Orbix! The XP future looks bright and I’m excited to see what comes next. 

In other areas, dreams of becoming an airliner pilot were scrapped because of my vision as a kid. But I kept on dreaming and earned my private pilot certificate in 2004. I still fly today, mostly G1000 C172S and use XP11 and P3D, to fly everything else! 

Aaron

Edited by AaronL
Grammar
  • Like 1

Hello,

I got into flight simulation due to my interest in aviation. I installed X-Plane 10 about seven years ago. X-Plane was my choice because it was the only flightsim platform (payware) supported on Linux, which happens to be my primary OS. I am really excited about the pace at which X-plane is growing and improving. The X-Plane community is awesome which keeps me interested at this hobby.

Hi All,

Been messing about with flight sims for far longer than I care to remember,started with the old Microprose games (can`t really call them sims) on an old Speccy 128 in the late 80`s,progressed through the ranks with Amiga 500 and eventually to PC in the early 90`s.I played mostly combat sims to start off with and didn`t really take it too seriously until I bought FS 9.I then went onto FSX Steam edition and a couple of weeks ago I bought XPlane 11.

As I`m getting on a bit now I find I don`t have the reaction time anymore for the combat side of things so I`ve decided to get into the more sedate side of the hobby and try to learn how to fly a sim properly instead of just pottering around the sky.To that end I`m in the middle of getting together  a Logitech Yoke,throttle quadrant and Thrustmaster Rudder pedals and my aim is to eventually get the Logitech flight panels and flight instruments so I can build a rudimentary home cockpit,finally got SWMBO`s permission providing I sort my man cave out.

I have to say that even though I`ve only just joined and skimmed a couple of threads this place seems like a fun and informative place to be and I look forward to hopefully being an active member of the community.

• Like 1

Greetings from Pennsylvania. Im a 61 year old Air Force Veteran who is disabled with RA and OA and lost my wife of 32 years 2 years ago today. Needless to say trying to fill in the time and space I have now is quite daunting. I do play some guitar but as my rheumatoid arthritis has gotten worse so has my ability to fret chords. Although I'm not a big fan of flying in the real world because of a scare I had on an Ozark Airlines airplane years ago this whole idea of a simulator interests me very much...it would be a great hobby. So..nice to meet everyone and have a great time flying!!! ~~~ Merkster 

• Like 3

My path into X-Plane was quite a wild one. I grew up constantly on the move and flying which was a real catalyst for my love for aviation. Every minute I spent at an airport or on a plane were some of my best times. When I was about 10 or 11 I discovered the flight simulation world. 

Originally I found FSX and wanted to get it but was really too young to buy anything of that kind of price. I waited and as I waited X-Plane 10 came out. One of their original videos with the 747 made me want it so badly. I spent hours watching the same video, enticed by the beauty that was flight simulation. Then my birthday came around and my parents decided to buy X-Plane for me, probably the most influential gift they have ever given me. Within days I was consumed and hungry for more knowledge on how to fly some of the beasts within XP. I spent hours reading manuals and different literature online until I felt confident enough to fly a simple flight. 

After a while, I began to get comfortable and I grew hungry for more. I started downloading planes, scenery, and plugins to make my experience that much better. I even joined a VA called Alliance Airways and had hundreds of hours with them before eventually stopping. After a while, I still wanted more but there just didn't seem to be more for me to do. So I decided to take on the task of learning to develop planes. I started off making super simple and not very good liveries for a couple aircraft. From there I started to mess around with Plane Maker following Dan Klaue's tutorials. Eventually, I continued on and moved into blender where I made a rather awful Cessna Citation X. I still have the model on my computer with a partial 3D cockpit and pretty average exterior. This was just the foundation of where I am today. 

I began to take my 3D practices outside of X-Plane following a multitude of different tutorials and expanding my skill set. Now, almost 9 years later after my first experience with flight simulation, I am developing the CRJ-700 with the team at SSG as one of their lead modelers. The journey has been absolutely incredible and I can't wait to see where else it leads me. Along the way, I have met and worked with some incredible people and feel nothing but incredibly fortunate to be in the position that I am. If you guys have any questions for me or need any encouragement on your projects I would love to help! A lot of people called my Citation X vaporware. The funny thing is at the time it was frustrating but now I realize that vaporware wasn't a bad thing for me. The Citation X taught me so much about developing and eventually lead to me being on the CRJ project. Whether you finish a product or not, it is about where you finish and what you learn on your journey not where you start. 

• Like 3

I recall taking a long bus ride with my mother one day when I was about 6yo. This was a long time ago. She asked me what I liked to do besides what a 6 year old normally does lol. The answer, after a long pause, I was told it was quite a funny face I made there, was flying. See, not long before we took a flight in a twin turbo prop to visit my uncle. It was my first flight. Ever since then I was hooked. Then some time after my uncle got a PC. I don not think it was even 286. He had a flight simulator loaded on it. It as the Microsoft Flight Simulator, I believe, the first version ever. It had solid green for terrain; white lines for runways. The aircraft was a cross of two small white sticks. Was it VGA even back then, you get the picture ?  I had every version of MS FS until they stopped the development. Then came the question, P3D or XP. I tried XP9 and found it so different it felt unnatural I suppose. I went with P3D. It was painfully the same as MS FS. I finally decided to try XP10, give it a serious run to see if I could learn how to roll down the runway in XP10 without running off the runway, never mind flying lol. I went ahead and got XP10. Never looked back. Having had the opportunity to "fly" A319 simulator at an airline training facility, having a yard stick now so to say, I am happy I made the switch to XP. This is my story.

Edited by YYZ342
  • Like 1

Greetings Everyone

I started my FS interest back with the Bruce Artwick wireframe sim, I think on a very strange Amstrad portable computer.

l worked my way through all versions of the sim, right up to FSX with the fabulous PMDG 737NG. I also loved the complexities of their JS41 offering. I also became quite proficient in rotary flying with the fab DodoSim Jetranger.

During the intervening years, I have gained my ppl, enjoyed 5 sessions in the full 737 sim, acted as a controller with IVAO, beta tested the UK Photoscenery, dabbled with early Xplane, became an avid reader of Austen ‘s blog and flown many thousands of miles around the world on business  

I have always entertained notions of building a 737 cockpit at home and this is becoming a reality having been collecting elements over the past couple of years. Some of my story is already on a facebook blog named #Kevs737build

With the advent of P3d and 64 bit technology and after much research I had decided to follow Peter Jongen’s method of incorporating the PMDG into FS or P3d via SIOC and some neat pcb’s which could be made easily and cheaply in my own kitchen. His method is outlined here:

www.phpjj.wordpress.com

A chance contact with an old buddy re-introduced me to Xplane11 and I see the future. Much of my hardware simply works in XP, and the Zibo, ZHSI etc  instil great enthusiasm for completion of the build.

Astonished with the work accomplished by the Zibo team, Andre Els along with all the addons which make Xplane the leading sim in this David and Goliath affair. Particle theory, Vulkan, realism and atc improvements promised for the next version mean exciting times for the hobby. Very happy to be tagging along.

Best wishes

Kev

Edited by gkkes
  • Like 1

Hello to all!

I can remember my first flights on a Fokker F27 (which is my favorite aircraft of all times) when I was about 4 year old. For the next 50+ years aviation was may No:1 favorite hobby.

On my Sinclair Spectrum I had a very basic simulator but my first "real" sim was on my Amiga 500 (about 1990 I think). If I remember correctly it was Flight Simulator II by Sub Logic (???). After converting to a PC from the Amiga I purchased and used every version of MS FS.

In 1990 I attended a course for PPL. I flew a Slingsby Aviation T67 Firefly which is my second favorite aircraft (remember, the first was Fokker F27). Interestingly, the relatively simple Flight Simulator II on the Amiga helped me so much for real flying. My instructor was surprised to see a student pilot talking about an ILS approach etc. I am sure that the simulator helped me during all phases of my flight training.

Yes I was using MS FS all the time but I have purchased the first version of XPlane too!

For me, XPlane was always a more professional sim because of the way it calculates the flight mechanics. I find it far more realistic. But it requires higher PC power.

The 28 years after 1990 went by, sometimes flying MS FS, sometimes flying online but for the last couple of years I have been busy flying radio controlled model aircraft. This is another world...

When XPlane 11 was announced I told to myself "you must prepare a specific PC only for XPlane 11 and start flying". I did it. About one year ago I built a (not so bad) PC and purchased XP11. A CH Products yoke and pedal set, a Saitek throttle quadrant and a do it yourself Cessna switch panel along with a do it yourself headtracker completed my sim setup.

At the beginning of my XP11 adventure my favorite aircraft was C172 but as time went by I started to fly the Zibo 738 and... Yes it is my third favorite aircraft forever.

On the RC field I have many friend who are airliner pilots. Some of the fly Airbus and some others fly Boeing. Most of the time we forget our model aircraft and find ourselves immersed in a deep discussion on an Airbus or Boeing system.

Now I am working on a better yoke and rudder system. DIY of course!

Edited by Sumer Yamaner
  • Like 1

Started in the DOS days with Microsoft Flight simulator 2.0 and use the Sublogic Scenery Disk on a IBM Model 30. I was limited to the CGA mode, 4 colors due the incompatibility with the EGA graphic design in many games and applications.   That machine was using a MCGA graphic system before switching to Paradise VGA card.  (This brings back memories for those who remember)

Upgrade to Flight Simulator 4.0 and added the Aircraft and Scenery Designer before upgrade the processor of IBM Model 30's, Intel 8086 to a Sota 386 possessor expansion card with the memory card. The use of memory manager help freeing up space within the 640k range where with the application runs. It would benefit flight simulator and other application.

In between that time, I started using ATP Flight Assignment by Sublogic. It contain 480 navigational aids that cover across the US out of the box. It also had an excellent ATC and good modeled large commercial jet aircraft.  After a few upgrades with Sublogic ATP and later Airline Simulator, a scenery package was release called USA East and West. This gave you every airport and every city with great night time visuals of its time. Graphics was limited but it was enjoyable.

Later on I decided to jump back on the Microsoft Flight simulator side versions 5.0, 5.1 98, FS2004, FS9. At that time I am running a Pentium with Windows from 95 to XP. I skipped NT.

Built a new machine in 2014 and install FSX and after a memory upgraded (3930k, 32 gigs of Ram and Titan X Pascal, on Windows 7 ) installed X plane 10.45 10.50, 11.20 with VR   permanently.

What brought me to X plane, I was intrigue in exploring the aircraft models that where based on the Bland element theory and was impress by the way each aircraft performance more realistically than in FSX. What also impress me was the the design of the payware aircraft IXEG 737 300 flies and it electrical behavior between switching from GPU to the engine power. I have never seen anything that model the behavior of instruments flicker when being switch on other sims at that time. Now most other 64bit sims payware perform those feature but only saw it in X plane first.

The other reason for coming to X plane is that its was a 64bit application, taking advantage of up to date hardware and graphic cards naively. This means that the out of memory issue goes away for completing flights with modest to large area of scenery.  Also X plane is in continuous development with newer technology being added. It has a mature support group and a market that seems to be expanding each year. More and more video's with more users are come over with excitement. The freeware community is amazing with many aircraft being design that rivals it payware counterparts (Zibo mod exp). It is really a joy to fly in the sim and there is something more to look forward to.

I am retired IT professional and enjoy flying the sim as a hobby.

Bob

• Like 1

Hey ya everyone.   Captain K-Man here.    You may know me from X-plane.org or from my Twitch streaming show.    I've been doing flight simulation since Microsoft Flight Simulator was black and white wire frame.   Over the years I've played pretty much every simulator, combat or otherwise, that has been released on the PC platform.   When FSX started to show its age I moved over to P3D and flew that for 3 years.  I tried X-Plane 10 and thought it was the biggest pile of junk I'd ever laid eyes on so I stuck with P3D but the constant OOM crashing and compromises were really starting to get on my nerves.   I was tired of 32 bit.   When X-Plane 11 hit the demo shelf I decided to give it another look to see if it looked like something I'd use and I was pleasantly surprised.   Now I use X-Plane 11 exclusively as I have no need for other simulation platforms at this time.   I love X-Plane 11 quite a bit even though there are some problems with it that are like nails on a chalk board.   I'm in it all the way!

I do livery painting, scenery design and World Traffic 3 logic programming.   I've worked with the likes of MisterX, Skyline Simulation, Pilot Plus and Drzewiecki Design in getting their airports WT3 ready for release.   I do live streaming M-F at 7pm CST on Twitch as well as doing live instructional videos and tutorials.   Let's do this!

• Like 3

Hiya Xplane users.

starting flight simming back in the old Atari days and progressed through the Amiga and various pc processors.

I am a Airforce vet primarily a crew chief (now days a maintainer) working with B-52 (D, E, F and G), KC-135 and FB-111. Proud of my service and being a member of SAC.

Have mostly gone the FSX and P3D route. Tried Xplane 8 and 10 and detested the thing. Heard some great stuff about 11 so I gave Xplane one last try. I’m glad I did. I use mostly Xplane11 now though I’m still learning.

I’m glad to be in this world. Thresholdx is becoming the first sim site I hit. Really interesting editorials and first rate news.

• Like 1

Since a young boy, I was always fascinated with flight.  A trip to the local Airshow with my Father at 11 years old did me in.  My first experience with a flight sim was on a Commodore 64 using Sid Meier's F-15 Strike Eagle around 1983.  My first actual "simulator" was on my Apple //c computer after purchasing MS Flight Simulator II.  It used default starting position as Meigs Field with the Sears tower on the horizon.. what a blast.  Since then, I owned neary every copy of MS flight sim which came out since then all the way up to FSX Steam Edition.  I began to seriously began looking at X-plane 11 when I was having difficulty utilizing FSXSE which was a 32 bit program with severe memory limitations.  I looked at P3D and P4D 64 bit and decided on X-plane because the demo showed me at just how much more immersive of a sim it could be.  So I bought a new hard drive, parked FSX with all its addons and began working with XP11.  I have not looked back... not once.

• Like 1