XPNG NOVEMBER SCREENSHOT COMPETITION Read more... ×
Xephyr

Introduce yourself! What got you using X-Plane?

My first "Flight Simulator" was Red Baron (1990), I always was a kid fascinated by the aircrafts, and loved everything about it. Started Civil Flight Simulation with Sierra's Pro Pilot, then Flight Simulator 98 and followed the franchise until the end, when I migrated to P3D v2 on 2014/2015. 

By the beginning of 2016 I was a bit tired of the ESP platform, but give a last chance with Flight School and later on with Flight Sim World. When they cancelled FSW, I decided that was it, and moved away from the platform with no regrets.

My first look on X-Plane was with v10, but the region I like to fly the most was really bad represented (South America), so I kept it as a second sim, while FSX/P3D were my main sims. With the release of v11 and cancellation of FSW, I moved to the platform with no hesitation, and is now the platform I use. 

By the way things are going, XP12 will be my next sim for sure.

• Like 3

Greetings fellow flyers,

I've been a flightsimmer since Intellivision came out with B-17 Bomber way back in 1981.  I had just gotten my Private Pilot license and I was a happy boy since flying in those days was affordable for nearly everyone, in the US anyway.  By the mid-1980s I purchased Sublogic's Flight Simulator II for the Atari ST computer, and it was magnificent for its time.  After M$ bought Flight Simulator from Sublogic I've owned and enjoyed every version, including FSX-SE.  I was also an avid rabid beta tester for M$'s gorgeous but totally mismarketed failed Microsoft Flight 'golden goose' X-box-style game.  I just jumped over to XP-11 earlier this year as X-Plane finally seemed mature enough.  In fact, since the jump I've been developing X-Plane scenery for my local airport here in Thailand.  Here are some screenshots...

1682107905_JimbosVTUV(Medium).jpg.68cdf3

Ramp side of VTUV terminal building for the small regional northeastern hub.  I modeled it, the elevated terrain and front and rear access roads, as well as many other custom scenery objects, in Solidworks, textured them in Sketchup, then exported into XP.

Jimbo_VTUV_103_50.jpg.b974c631b81fef2d3a

View from the main parking lot in front of the terminal.  You can barely see the top of the control tower behind the trees and the tall light tower in the center-right of the image.

Jimbo_VTUV_103_67.jpg.c2964bd78cacf3b510

Front elevated terminal entrance.  These are older images I had already posted on X-Plane.org forums a while back since I can't yet, being a Threshold newbie, upload files yet.

Cheers from Thailand everybody!

Edited by Jimbo in Thailand
  • Like 1

Personally, I was introduced to FLIGHT SIMULATION, back in the CGA/EGA/VGA days--when there were only 16 colors max!

I "upgraded" to MSFS  (Microsoft Flight Simulator)

Then FS98...FS2000...FS2002...FS2004...then, FSX.

One day, while looking for a more realistic flight simulator--I got to try the X-PLANE 11 DEMO.

The graphics were so impressive, I put away FSX and became an X-PLANE 11 simmer from then on!

• Like 2

Like most of us, I became interested in flying at middle age and even went so far as to get a private license as well as a Piper Archer II (foolish).  I used my plane to fly to business clients in mid-west United States.  I also used Microsoft Flight Sim X which I liked until a friend of mine (commercial pilot) told me about X-Plane 10 which I bought and have followed into X-Plane 11.

For medical reasons, I no longer can fly my own and have only X-Plane which I love for its capabilities, aircraft, and authentic simulations.  I am retired now and still play with aero functions and other interests related to flying.

• Like 1

Greetings to all. First apologize if my English is not correct but many times I use the google translator. I'm from Gran Canaria and I've always liked simulation, I started with the Spectrum 48K and the Spitfire 40 although the truth is that I only used military simulation because I thought the civil was boring, I was very wrong, it's so funny or more than the military. Looking for information and watching videos on youtube about the different civil simulators looking for the one that best  sensation gives me and the one I liked the most was Xplane10, a jewel after understanding it,then Xplane11 arrived and here I am. I hope I did not bored you much.

• Like 1

Hi all.  I've been into flight simulators for over 30 years.  Used to work with the guy that first wrote FS at Hughes Aircraft.  I was into MSFS up until that abandoned it.  Which as it turns out was a good thing because it allowed X-plane to grow.  I've always lived and worked next to airports so I've been enamored with planes, just never had the extra money to learn for real, so I do my best Walter Mitty using simulators.  And with X-Plane I enjoy the openness of the planes and sceneries for modders and has gotten me to the point that I plan on doing my local airports on the Central Coast of California.

• Like 2

Hi All,

I've been flying flight simulator since my dad brought home FS98 in .. well yeah 1998. Went all the way through FS2004, FSX (including the latest SE) and I am now transitioning to X-plane 11. I don't fly every week, mainly because of a busy husband/dad's life that I got into recently, but whenever I have some time I hit up my sim and fly myself around (no multiplayer/ivao/vatsim yet). I've been experimenting with some payware FSX planes which really add to immersion and I am now looking into getting some higher quality airplanes both free/payed for X-plane.

My other interests in aviation go to a bit of plane spotting and building an ADS-B receiver with a raspberry pi (real fun if you're a bit into electronics and soldering ? )

Greetings from EBBR

Ward

Edited by primuszoon
  • Like 1

Hello!

It was quite a long way for me...

My first try on a flightsim was FS98 wich came with a joystick as a christmas gift for that year. I was 12, I remember me flying the default cessna at Chicago or New York and trying to pass between the building or below bridges. At that moment I didn't really got into it.
Trying to fly the Bell 206 eventually killed me after many unsuccessfull try circleing and crashing, and I soon stopped running it without understanding the real purpose.

Many years after, I was in my twenties when I took a real plane for the first time. I always remained very anxious but also kind of fascinated since that, the worst for me was to fly above the ocean during long flight...I'm mentionning that because it's actually what's putted me back on flightsim path.
Two years ago, after a year I've been flying a lot between France and south America, I figured out that I wanted to know how it really works to fly a plane, and have a chance to do it myself.
At first it was more a way to fight my fear and anxiety of flying, but very soon it became passionate.

Knowing almost nothing about flightsim, I started watching videos on youtube, and the best seemed to be FSX, so I bought it on steam, and it was a huge disappointment : the FSX I've bought looked nothing like what I've seen in the vid, it was so far from the photoreal, and it didn't even run well on my computer ( didn't really knew that you couldn't expect the same FPS as games ).
As a newbee I didn't knew that to have these amazing graphics I've seen on the video, you had to buy dozen of addons. I didn't knew where to start to have the visuals I wanted and also didn't got the money for this. I eventually felt a little overwhelmed by this and gave up FSX.
Some months passed and I've seen a video on Flight Sim World with the rain windshield effect that got me.

This is on this sim that I really began to learn and enjoy flying. I loved the atmosphere with 3D clouds, the lights, the planes were really well modeled, but still I was missing two important things for me : first, the sceneries didn't looked like the real world, second, there was no airliner available. It ends up that the whole sim was cancelled.

Back on youtube, I've seen few video of Aerofly FS2 that just blow my eyes : it was the great canyon of Arizona with a jet, and it looked genuinely real, and also it seemed to run very very smooth compare to all other flightsim I knew. So I began on that too, and after the first moments of flying in amazing photoreal texture, I wasn't at all convinced by the flight model, and soon, I've been looking for something else.

This is the moment I've found the amazing x-plane community, with this possibility of tweaking almost everything, making our own ortho sceneries etc. 
I gave a try to the XP11 demo, at first I was surprised by the flight model, it was of course very different from AFS2 but also from Flight Sim World, the environment looked more real.
So I got into it, spent hours making orthos for near all France, began to buy payware aircraft...this was the sim I was looking for since a while.
 I think the first was the carenado PA 34 Seneca, since it was my favourite plane from FSW, then I bought the PC12 wich is still the plane I flew the most and the FFA320.

I'm still a beginner, I've learnt very simple procedures on airliner, not enough to fly it realistically ( still know almost nothing about ATC ).
Now I'm improving my learn into flying GA like the JF C 152 and since ORBX has released his fantastic True Earth Great Britain, I never had more fun to fly GA aircraft at low altitude.

Looking forward to see what is coming next on X-plane!

large.thumbnail_B8D5FCF67E9D48039F1B694F7B258938.jpg.e71354c798112ffd50027c1784fe48cd.jpg

• Like 1

Greetings,

I found this forum through Asene's scenery link. I was on the other forum but left it because of various reasons. I will share some sceneries that I have made and let's see how it goes!

Cheers

Raffles

I fly a B727 in Africa, this is a level D sim in Sanford, Orlando where I do recurrent training.

20170607_163623.thumb.jpg.92d0908c07c25c6694578309a302b74a.jpg

Edited by Raffles
  • Like 1

Hi, all,

Joined today... I've been flying since 2001 (real planes) and playing with simulator since early 1990s... I switched to X-plane last year on a brand new setup (3 x 27" monitors), saitek panels (radio, switch and multi), yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals. I've been flying mostly mooneys. I use the sim for the time when I can't go to the airport and to have some fun. Looking forward to exchanging experience with others here... 

Klaus

Edited by KlausK
  • Like 1

Hi Folks

New member to the forum. Only recently migrated from long term user of FSX to Xplane  11.

Looking pretty good so far...

Just downloaded the 737 - 900 Ultimate, and absolutely amazed .. well done to you guys.

thanks and look forward to chatting soon.

• Like 1

Bonjour, Je suis tout simplement un passionné d'aviation ,et XPLANE est un simulateur formidable. Ce que j'apprécie, c'est le nombre de personnes qui mettent en ligne des avions totalement gratuits, et aussi l'entraide et la convivialité du forum.

• Like 1