Xephyr

Introduce yourself! What got you using X-Plane?

Good day, everyone.  I got into flight simulation back in the 80's with Flight Simulator by Sublogic.  Since that time, I used every version of it for Atari, PC, and other platforms.  I continued through the transition to Microsoft Flight Simulator, through every version to FSX.  When I saw X-Plane, it intrigued me.  I saw the original version and got it.  I have followed it now to version 11.30.   The reality is incredible, and the addon aircraft, scenery, navigation information, and so much more help immerse you into the "real world".  I have also followed Prepar3d, but do not have the latest version.

Thanks for listening,

vpilot

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

just like most people who posted in this thread, I started using flight simulators in the early days but didn't find it too appealing due to the poor resolution, etc...  things got a little better with FS9, then I moved to FSX.  At the time, I tried X-Plane 10 and liked the realism which was much better.  When XP 11 came out, that's when I decided to drop FSX and play around with all the new features.  I kept my FSX installed just to compare with XP 11 and I don't think I'll go back to flying with it again!  The only thing I miss is all the good payware planes and airports/sceneries.  Now that I found my new home and all the nice stuff from the community, I really enjoy X-Plane 11 and it keeps getting better by the day!  I only discovered this website recently and I think it is very decent.

Thank you for all your hard work,

Taildrag

• Like 1

I got acquainted with Xplane back in th early days. But never touched it, as-in; buy, install and use. I was a MSFS person. Now on track to build an actual FTD at home, I chose X-Plane after seeing where its development has brought it, on the Sim scene. I have programmed in C++ on the Borland-Builder plateform years ago, but continued on to code at work only in MS Office VBA' environment, so I am a little rusted on today' implementation of C++.

I will need to develop the code to interface real instruments to x-plane. My cockpit will be modular and disassembly must be easy and fast. I predict a connector heaven. My main concern will be around get_ and set_ aspects as I will then interface this back end data to an ARINC429 bus on the front end.

I hope I can find freindly help into setting up this development environment.

Regards, Anne

• Like 1

Nice to see a new place for X-Plane.  I started using a flight simulator back when MS first released one. I remember the frustration trying to fly with the keyboard and mouse, but did do it!  The last twelve or so years has been mostly dedicated to X-Plane 9,10 and 11. Since I got my wings flying a 172 and 310 back in the 80's, adjusting to the dynamics of a sim was not that hard. Unless you are talking tubes..that's what I wanted to learn and I must say, my approaches and landings at first were way too fast (tho I did survive most of them haha).  I decided to get serious in learning the big planes and after about a year, I had it down. Went as far as building a cockpit (737) with most of the bells and whistles. Then....VR. That changed alot of things as well as saved alot of space in my 'cockpit'. I still keep all and use all the equipment (must peak for some of them) but the physical instrument panel is now in my basement along with some other items.  VR is amazing..you are there..in the cockpit and can see behind you when looking at the runway on a DW to base (oh yea, I still fly the GA ac, some of the new ones being excellent!). And lastly, X-Plane has come far and is by far the best one there. I salute the people at Laminar Research for their excellent work! Thank you 😉

Speaking of which...not much time for me today, and I need to tuck in a flight really fast!

Later people 🙂

• Like 1