Xephyr

Introduce yourself! What got you using X-Plane?

Good day, everyone.  I got into flight simulation back in the 80's with Flight Simulator by Sublogic.  Since that time, I used every version of it for Atari, PC, and other platforms.  I continued through the transition to Microsoft Flight Simulator, through every version to FSX.  When I saw X-Plane, it intrigued me.  I saw the original version and got it.  I have followed it now to version 11.30.   The reality is incredible, and the addon aircraft, scenery, navigation information, and so much more help immerse you into the "real world".  I have also followed Prepar3d, but do not have the latest version.

Thanks for listening,

vpilot

• Like 3

Hello everyone,

just like most people who posted in this thread, I started using flight simulators in the early days but didn't find it too appealing due to the poor resolution, etc...  things got a little better with FS9, then I moved to FSX.  At the time, I tried X-Plane 10 and liked the realism which was much better.  When XP 11 came out, that's when I decided to drop FSX and play around with all the new features.  I kept my FSX installed just to compare with XP 11 and I don't think I'll go back to flying with it again!  The only thing I miss is all the good payware planes and airports/sceneries.  Now that I found my new home and all the nice stuff from the community, I really enjoy X-Plane 11 and it keeps getting better by the day!  I only discovered this website recently and I think it is very decent.

Thank you for all your hard work,

Taildrag

• Like 2

I got acquainted with Xplane back in th early days. But never touched it, as-in; buy, install and use. I was a MSFS person. Now on track to build an actual FTD at home, I chose X-Plane after seeing where its development has brought it, on the Sim scene. I have programmed in C++ on the Borland-Builder plateform years ago, but continued on to code at work only in MS Office VBA' environment, so I am a little rusted on today' implementation of C++.

I will need to develop the code to interface real instruments to x-plane. My cockpit will be modular and disassembly must be easy and fast. I predict a connector heaven. My main concern will be around get_ and set_ aspects as I will then interface this back end data to an ARINC429 bus on the front end.

I hope I can find freindly help into setting up this development environment.

Regards, Anne

• Like 1

Nice to see a new place for X-Plane.  I started using a flight simulator back when MS first released one. I remember the frustration trying to fly with the keyboard and mouse, but did do it!  The last twelve or so years has been mostly dedicated to X-Plane 9,10 and 11. Since I got my wings flying a 172 and 310 back in the 80's, adjusting to the dynamics of a sim was not that hard. Unless you are talking tubes..that's what I wanted to learn and I must say, my approaches and landings at first were way too fast (tho I did survive most of them haha).  I decided to get serious in learning the big planes and after about a year, I had it down. Went as far as building a cockpit (737) with most of the bells and whistles. Then....VR. That changed alot of things as well as saved alot of space in my 'cockpit'. I still keep all and use all the equipment (must peak for some of them) but the physical instrument panel is now in my basement along with some other items.  VR is amazing..you are there..in the cockpit and can see behind you when looking at the runway on a DW to base (oh yea, I still fly the GA ac, some of the new ones being excellent!). And lastly, X-Plane has come far and is by far the best one there. I salute the people at Laminar Research for their excellent work! Thank you 😉

Speaking of which...not much time for me today, and I need to tuck in a flight really fast!

Later people 🙂

• Like 2

I received my pilot's license in January 1988 and many years of great flying around the US. I started out in the C172, received my instrument rating and then my multi-engine rating in a Piper Aztec. I fell in love with small twins and eventually purchased a Baron B55 and then later a B58. My goal was to get into turbines but I couldn't make it happen. I first got into flight sims with the original Microsoft  Flight Sim. I had so much fun simulating flying at home. I had two big speakers set up and it was a rush to start each engine on each side of me and get excited. I haven't figured out to get stereo out of X-plane 11. I got away from flying and sims for sometime until I retired and felt the itch so I went back to what I knew which was Microsoft Flight Sim. Got really frustrated with all of the ooms  issues so I looked and, thankfully, landed with X-Plane 11. Glad I found this site through needing the Audiobird for Zibo Mod. Looking forward to learning more what's available here.  

• Like 2

First flight-sim experience was Flight Simulator 98 which I loved as a kid back then! Bought FSX: Steam Edition when it first came out on Steam, but didn't really gave much attention to it until last year when I somehow ended up revisiting it. To me FSX still felt like the old FS 98 in some ways, so I decided to explore different flight sims options out there and many were recommending X-Plane, so here I am today.. Currently loving and learning the Zibo 737!

• Like 2

My names Steve and I am 45 from North Scotland.  I got into xplane purely by mistake. My other sim was between upgrades and I really wanted to fly and so the journey begun.

Loving it.

Steve

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

My way with simulators goes a way back when started playing in a CP-400. In the time there was no disks, the simulator comes in a k-7 tape. Imagining those basic green lines giving you the sensation of being in a simulator...crazy!

So later when microsoft started i jump into the flight simulator until FSX where i started enjoying creating liveries, so went to P3D and finally to X-plane 10.

It is just amazing to see in a life time such evolution in graphics and data running in this virtual world.

With X-plane 11 came that feeling of..deleting Fsx and P3D from my computer forever!!! hehehe.

• Like 1

HI Everyone,

I am Kevan Fitzakerley (X-Plane Addicted) Developer of the popular X-Plane addon utility PassengersFX.

I Started with X-Plane 10, not being satisfied with just flying (in X-Plane) I wanted to learn different things, I created a few sceneries and then turned my attention to programming with FlyWithLua.

Now, most of my time is developing and improving PassengersFX.

Cap't Kev

X-Plane Addicted 

• Like 4

Been using flight sims going all the way back to Microprose F117a on the Amiga.  Pretty basic but we all have to start somewhere. I then moved through Flight Unlimited 2, FS2000, FS2004, FSX, X Plane 9 and then onto X Plane 11 when I started taking it seriously. It had taken until X Plane 11 for me to finally feel fully immersed enough. I still have a great fondness for Flight Unlimited 2 mind, There were some great adventures in that, including the Star Trek themed one with Kirk sat beside you.

• Like 1

hello everyone,

first i like to thank the starter of this topic for having this great idea as a way for new users to tell something about themselves. so without further due, here is my story:

it was around the year 2002 when i found a CD box of an old Flight Simulator game. it appealed to me. but unfortunately the only PC available to me was too weak to play it. but about 10 years later i was able to afford my own PC and that is when the nightmare started: Microsoft Flight Simulator X. the amount of blood sweat and tears i have shed to make that piece of crap "work" is absolutely appalling. and even then it still had major issues and would crash and burn at almost every turn. but somehow i managed to put about 750 frustrated flying hours into the PMDG 738NG. some of those hours with online friends using ATC communication between eachother and doing online flights via VATSIM and FSEconomy. we had several virtual airlines for which i was the guy who made the liveries. but the group separated because of conflicts ( usually some ego tripper ). those days are luckily over and now i am a happy lonewolf pilot just out there to enjoy the visuals and the challenges that come with flying. i took a very long break from flying that lasted at least 8 years. i tried Flight Simulator X ( Steam edition this time ) again but that quickly ran into the ground because of OOM errors and other crashes. i remember trying Microsoft Flight as well but that was far from my wishes and desires so that never became a worthy replacer of Microsoft Flight Simulator X for me.

and then i decided to look into alternatives to Flight Simulator X. I looked into Prepar3d but that felt like a total rip-off to me and it seemed like very little has been improved upon compared to Flight Simulator X. so then i looked into X-Plane. i heard about it many years ago whilst i was still flying with Flight Simulator X. it was X-Plane version 10 back then.

my first experience with X-Plane was with version 11. i was very impressed. i like the interface a lot especially due to its dark theme and simple layout. also the controls are easy to setup and everything just works. the default ( !!! ) scenery looks A LOT better compared to Flight Simulator X and the game in general looks a lot better. but sadly i have experienced my fair share of issues which honestly has forced me into taking another break from flying until recently. i managed to buy a few planes ( SSG B748F, E175, TBM850,  and Epic E1000 ). of which only the B748F was enjoyable to me. the rest ( as of writing this ) is either very old, severe lack of documentation or so insanely different to what i am used to.

so far i have been enjoying the Zibo 738 the most. which is entirely FREE! i really like where that project is going. it certainly is not perfect but it deserves respect for where it is now.

i am also looking forward to a very solid X-Plane platform that is not so much riddled with performance and stability issues. i wonder what the Vulkan API will do to X-Plane performance and capabilities. i am in no way a "i want 120+fps with insane graphics" kind of person but i would love to see a solid 60fps experience so the full potential of my monitor can be utilized. i do not mind 30fps but i can see and feel the difference between 30fps and 60fps. i prefer the latter but can live with the former.

cheers 👍

• Like 2

bonjour je me présente Matthias Bruant j'ai 27 ans bientôt 28 je suis de Bordeaux (gironde) et j'ai acheter récemment xplane 11 sur pc j'ai connu ce jeux hyper réaliste grace a des personnes sur facebook qui mettait des images sur les forums et sa ma donner envie d'y joué ! et franchement c'est génial j'adore ce jeu réaliste ! voili voilou !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, matthias.bruant said:

bonjour je me présente Matthias Bruant j'ai 27 ans bientôt 28 je suis de Bordeaux (gironde) et j'ai acheter récemment xplane 11 sur pc j'ai connu ce jeux hyper réaliste grace a des personnes sur facebook qui mettait des images sur les forums et sa ma donner envie d'y joué ! et franchement c'est génial j'adore ce jeu réaliste ! voili voilou ! 

Direct Google translate 😃

hello I introduce myself Matthias Bruant I'm 27 years old soon 28 I'm from Bordeaux (gironde) and I recently buy xplane 11 on pc I knew this hyper realistic games thanks to people on facebook who put pictures on them forums and his make me want to play! and frankly it's great I love this realistic game! voili voilou!

• Like 1

Hello community, just sharing my experience how i got started. It all started when I took a trip to Miami Florida and my first time on a plane, I fell in love with airplanes right then and there. I stumble across Youtube channels of people uploading FSX and P3D flights and I said to myself "This is what I need" unfortunately I only had an Xbox 360, so after a year of research, I decided to build a PC, long story short, I stated with FSX to P3D until I discovered X-plane; I never looked back. 

• Like 2

Hello all!

My name is Ken and I've been a flight simmer with MSFS since 2002. I bought X-Plane 11 last week and absolutely love it. I fly offline and on VATSIM. I have way over a thousand hours offline flying and almost 200 online.

I found this site through a link from another flight simming site (forget which one now). I love the idea of a friendly, helpful, no-bashing site and this seems to be it.

I'm not a real life pilot, but have had a little bit of flight training. Couldn't continue because that stuff is WAY more expensive than the computer version of flying haha.

Anyway, happy to be here!

Ken

• Like 2

My name is Wilf, and I started flight simming in the very early days of MSFS, although only dabbling in it because it was sooo sloooow (back in the days of DOS).  Over the years I have gone through the various incarnations of MSFS until discovering x-plane when version 10 came out.  Since then I have more or less retired the MSFS software to the give away pile of our local thrift store (hopefully someone else can pick up on the absolute joy of flying).  I have since gone on to acquire hardware, addons, and aircraft.  The more I acquire, the more I want to immerse myself in what has become a most enjoyable hobby. I am especially impressed with the Zibo mod of the 737.  Brings flying to a whole new level.  I don't fly for real, but have been in aircraft both large and small over the years.  I enjoy it immensely, and am looking forward to the continued development of the excellent flight sim that is x-plane.

• Like 1

Names Theo, currently am a student pilot in South Africa XD

Xplane looked pretty cool so I decided to get it and boy have I had fun with it!
It is an excellent simulator 🙂

• Like 2

For the past 3-4 years, I've been interested in flying. Recently I got a job and was able to pay for a new desktop and x-plane. My dreams are coming true.

• Like 2

Hi,

Currently using both sims. Because both have there own qualities. Gaining more and more surface on the XPlane platform due to the dynamics and airplanes available. 
Hope to get a lot more hours in the comng time!

Regards,
Denny

• Like 1

Hi everyone. First of all, I'm really excited to see Threshold take off, it seems like a great community and the news portion is top notch.

I got into flight simulation as a whole when I was fairly young. I had an early iteration of MSFS on our second home desktop which took up something like 70% of our hard drive at the time (go figure, with addons in 2019 it still does.) I then got into combat games/sims via Strike Commander followed by the Jane's series (specifically AH-64D Longbow and the Fighters Anthology collection.) From there I continued along the MS path, flying every iteration of their sim through FSX. I checked out X-Plane 9 on a whim because it had a free demo. Honestly, I didn't care for it. It felt like it had a highly unrealistic flight model on the demo aircraft, the graphics were awful compared to my modded FSX installation. I kept coming back as updates rolled out to take a peek, and became more interested when X-Plane 10 came out enough that I bought a license and started getting involved in the community. Some of the top notch freeware is what sold me on the community.

When X-Plane 11 came out, I started dividing my time fully between the sims, and within the past few months I've been flying nearly exclusively in X-Plane. I still consider my fully decked out Prepar3d setup to be superior in some ways (I've dropped close to a thousand USD over the years into addons) and my collection of P3D aircraft is massive, but after a while of flying in X-Plane it's just hard to go back. With xEnviro 1.10 on the horizon, if all goes well with that I can't fathom I'll fly anything else.

A key thing to note: I've flown a Mooney Bravo turbo and a Cessna 172, and can say with absolute certainty that while no sim authentically recreates the feeling of flight, X-Plane 11 with stability augmentation turned down in the controls will get you much closer to the real thing than any other sim can.

• Thanks 2

Hi! I've been a simmer for 7 or 8 years now. Started with FSX, then P3D before i found XP10. These days I spend more time in WED and Photoshop building airports rather than flying 🙂

• Like 2

Hello all!

Got into sim building to help me stay current! I am a commercial/multi-engine /instrument rated pilot as well as an Airframe & power plant mechanic/Inspection Authorization. I must admit this hobby is addictive to say the least! So much as I purchased an ATC810 brand real IFR Navajo simulator from a University in Minnesota to which I have taken the better course of 4 years to convert this sim from analog to digital. Almost there I must admit.

What brings me here is I am on the hunt for decent piston engine sounds for my Navajo build which I cannot find anywhere on the www. This group seems primarily focused on the 737 and other turbine powered planes.....so we'll see where this takes me -

Thanks for the opportunity!!!!

geronimopilot

• Like 1