Xephyr

Introduce yourself! What got you using X-Plane?

10 hours ago, geronimopilot said:

Hello all!

Got into sim building to help me stay current! I am a commercial/multi-engine /instrument rated pilot as well as an Airframe & power plant mechanic/Inspection Authorization. I must admit this hobby is addictive to say the least! So much as I purchased an ATC810 brand real IFR Navajo simulator from a University in Minnesota to which I have taken the better course of 4 years to convert this sim from analog to digital. Almost there I must admit.

What brings me here is I am on the hunt for decent piston engine sounds for my Navajo build which I cannot find anywhere on the www. This group seems primarily focused on the 737 and other turbine powered planes.....so we'll see where this takes me -

Thanks for the opportunity!!!!

geronimopilot

You have a large group for the 737 here but the forum is for everything xplane. The 737ultimate gang is confined to the 73u club too. So please use the forum for anything you like as long as it's xplane. 😊

And welcome by the way. Maybe we should have a custom simulator build section in here? Let me know and I'll set it up. Or even if you want a dedicated club for it I can arrange that too. Pm me if interested. 

Captain Kitten thanks so much. It was recommended to me, while posting in the sound dedicated forum, that I come here to look for engine sounds.....unfortunately it looks like piston aircraft are not so desirable or popular.

Cockpit builders corner? Sure great idea! I have much into my build which has been about 4-5 years and over 10K USD spent and still not there LOL! I just wish someone new more about PlaneMaker and where/how it's engine sounds come from. The Baron sounds are awesome but the stock sounds PlaneMaker gives the models just isn't very good at all.....

Scott  

• Like 2

Hi, My Name is JPStudios, I got into flight sim just about, 13 years ago when I was given FSX from my Grandfather who passed shortly after, I have been flying for about 8 years, first time I got into a plane was when my Uncle (A 737MAX pilot for United, or not after groundings) brought me into his plane. I got more and more into simulation when I eventually found X-Plane, now I am a Student Pilot with Flight Lessons, every once and a while because Money is Tight. But I get to do this 🙂

• Like 2

Hello fellow simmers,

I am from South Florida USA and have been flight simming since around 1998 when MSFS 98 first came out, and I've been hooked ever since. I used FSX up until March of 2018. Surprisingly it was not too difficult of a decision, especially since hard drive room was a factor in deciding to completely wipe out my FSX with approximately $1000 worth of payware I had on it.  I love X-Plane...the scenery the crispness and realism of the environment. There are still a few features I miss from FSX that X-Plane really needs to get on the ball with. Mostly the AI traffic, limited number of aircraft (although this is improving) and ATC. I am pretty much strictly a jetliner pilot and do not fly anything larger than a L1011 D class aircraft. I also play with aircraft livery repaints and airport scenery creation. I have already uploaded my first paint. 

Edited by Eastern@JFK
adding info
  • Like 2

Hi Guys,
My name is Manfred, I'm from Austria and since the first Sim from SubLogic I am an enthusiastic flight simulator fan.
Since 2017 I use X-Plane and can not imagine a better Sim.
I am pleased to be here.

• Like 1

well hello and how do you do to each and every one of my fellow simulation pilots here on this site.

allow me as the topic nods to; to introduce myself...

I'm FDX a.k.a. Doug I am an "Infinite Flight Refugee" and a veteran of aviation simulation as I've been doing this since 1995. My first ever aircraft piloting type experience was (as I'm 35 come April 20th) the old school game "Top Gun" that yes, was made after the movie in the late 80's. 

I was drawn to aviation at an early age at an air show that was the second or third after the government of the U.S. had finally conceeded and admitted the F-117A Nighthawk did in fact exist [yes im old lol]

I had seen that in person, as well as been very close to a harrier taking off and still remember both so extremely vividly... Anyways there's an intro and a small personal prior to simulation bg..

I had been for most of the mid part of 2018 and up until 7 weeks ago in the top 1-5 on the Infinite Flight leaderboards for landings in the three categorys (24hrs, 7/30 days) that were formerly represented [they no longer do leaderboards some say because of me and our 'tiff'] I had in the timeframe of March 2018 to Feb 2019 the staggering and now (infinite flight users en mass call me legendary I hated it) acquired amount of 5,300+ landings, over 1300+ hrs of flight time, and 1.3+ million xp on I.F. as I said a few sentences ago from late April-Mid or late June 2018 I was #1 on all 3 categories of the landing leaderboards, and top 3-5 for 4 consecutive months and even top 3 for 2.5 weeks after leaving in the 30 days category. 

I mainly fly and flew the MD-11F [im a BIGGGGG FedEx livery fan] and have continued that with the overland MD-11 [gosh i cannot wait for the Rotate version from what I've seen.]

I'm here to make friends, learn from others and also teach the landing skills I've brought with me from Infinite Flight, where I've actually started to be better at landings here with its much more immense immersive experiences in aero, physics, and such than I had been or was on I.F.!!!!

So I hope that was an adequate explanation and history of myself, my sim xp, and goals I realize this isn't a quiz, test, or entry exam but to be thorough is goooood ! 

so I should say however, I'm looking for folks to fly with I'd become very well known on i.f. prior to my departure, and if you all get the notion check out rednoseheavy on YT it's our channel i did with a good friend from germany, he directed i flew! we're actually up for an infinite flight youtube award for our version (personally told ffrom staff @ i.f. best one ever for and to be done on their platform) of Cpt. Sully's Amazingly Remarkable and written in lore legendary successful water ditching a.k.a the miracle on the Hudson (our video on YT is called hero's of the hudson)

I look forward to getting to know you all take care and have a great remainder of your day/week!!!

One last note if virtual Airlines exist over here on X-Plane I would very much like to be set up or directed towards a cargo VA if at all possible I very much prefer to fly cargo planes

Thanks again,

-Doug!

"FDX"

[I go by FDX or FD preferred]

Edited by Fdx
  • Like 1

Hi all. 

TL;DR started out with Novalogic, moved to FS2004, and recently into FSX, XPlane, Prepared.

To cut a long intro short, I  got introduced to simulators around 1997-98. My brother had got some game, when he came back from UK, Su27 iirc, and back then in the days of Windows 95 or was it 98? So it started out with combat sims, next was Fighting falcon from Novalogic, Mig 29 fulcrum, and similar combat flight simulators. Around mid 2000s, when Toonami used to be a thing, ads for Microsoft flight simulator used to be on. But wasn't able to source the game for the next decade, I'd say. And with me travelling from one place to another, it got difficult to sim. Around 2010 towards the later half of the year, I was given a Toshiba satellite L300 laptop. With 2 gigs of ram and 250gb hdd, atleast I could start simming, or so I thought. FS2004 got installed first, and I was hooked. I am more of a general/ commercial airliner kinda guy, so I was quick to give up on my fighter sims. This continued well into 2012,2013 when I got  FSX via flipkart sale for just 10$. That too, it was the acceleration pack. However, I was in for disappointment, as my laptop wasn't upto the mark, when you consider the fact ,it only had intel onboard graphics. And FS2004 was nearly squeezing all the juice out. 

Then, I gave up FSX, but with FS2004, I was introduced to a great group of avsim fans, Skyspirit 2010/11 on facebook, who were very helpful, in helping me learn all procedures for ATC based flights, and also with the help of Teamspeak, we were able to carry out flights across the world. 

Recently came across my old videos with FS2004, you can see the condition I used to game in. If you read the comments also, people will be saying not on centreline etc. I had to guess the runway even before it was rendered completely. LOL. 

After that, once I finally had some earnings, went in for a gaming pc, and first thing i did was download FSX steam edition 😛 which was on sale at the time. And have been simming on and off, due to work / study pressures, as and when possible. Past few months, I've been on X-plane, with the Zibo mod keeping me entertained most of the time, and on and off PMDG 777/737 on fsx and prepared. Other than that my flying skills are very limited to these planes only. Not an expert by any means, only playing for the fun of it, and the fact it helps me keep my piloting dreams alive. Someday. 

How I came across this forum, was via Reddit, yesterday. Someone shared a screenshot of their X-plane with Xephyr preset, and I was desperate to try it out. Signed up, and my god does that preset work wonders. This is one video I made with that preset.

I hope I managed to shorten my intro into the forum. 😛

• Like 1

Greetings. I am one of the long-time X-Plane designers, developing in PlaneMaker since version 2.67 in 1997. The Rutan Canard homebuilts need to be updated to 3D and VR. I have a R/L VariEze, have flown in/piloted Long-EZs and I'm building a Cozy Mk IV. I have an Oculus Rift Headset and I'm looking to buy a PC computer to use the headset with. I normally design using my 27" 5K Retina Quad Core iMac. I have designed roughly 175 different aircraft and spacecraft for X-Plane in 22 years.

I started using flight simulators in the early 1980s. I built an FAA-approved Level 2 Helicopter FTD in 2003, replicating the Schweizer 300C. That system had five flatscreen displays and three rack-mounted PCs running X-Plane.

Converting aircraft flight models for X-Plane to 3D and for VR appears to be much more difficult now than the simple 3D methods circa 2008. I am REALLY GLAD I found the SimVRLabs YouTube tutorials.

• Like 1

Howdy folks!

New in town! I am Ryan (N_A_A). I actually used XP9 as my first simulator using the 15min trial run only (as I was a poor little kid 😛). I remember flying the default 777 around Innsbruck all the time (with no idea what I was doing). Ended up buying XP10 (and actually figuring out how to fly), I joined an aircraft development team, started a VA, bought XP11 when it came out and still haven't released the damn airplane we started 4 years ago (anyone know any 3D devs 😛). I think that hits the highlights of my time in flight sim!

Glad to be here,  

Ryan

*pic related*

5bfb7a614fac807e3a6d950d_EMBint2.png

• Like 1

Bonjour, je suis avec (xplane 11) pour la première fois il y a deux mois, j'ai l'oculus rift et je faisais que de la VR.

En 1982, j'ai passé mon brevet de vol a  voile à Nogaro dans le Gers, sur Bijave, 10 heures en solo et arrêt pour une raison très simple, vertige qui se transformait en hyper-tension.

Tout seul sur mon bureau, je ressens les meme  défaillances, mais il suffit d'enlever l'Oculus et on se retrouve devant son bureau. Je prends beaucoup de plaisir à voler entre Nogaro et Aire sur l'Adoure ainsi que dans le sud de la France à Fayence. Voila pas grand a choisi de plus bonjours a tous.

Edited by Sagne philippe
  • Like 1

Hi there!! My name is James. I'm an avid simmer, Love my commercial jetliners. I started my flight simming days with Microsoft flight sim 95 and worked my way up to X-Plane! Absolutely love X-Plane! After battling with FSX for several years, X-Plane is a godsend lol! My aircraft of choice is the FF A320. I love Boeing but for me, The Airbus is very satisfying. I'm not a super " Die Hard " simmer and don't have tons of add-ons and scenery. I keep it pretty basic and utilize what the sim has to offer. My home airport is Boston Logan International.  Mister X has replicated this airport very well. So that's me. Hope to meet people and share expertise in the Flight sim world. Just a quick question. REcently purchased the FF A350. Looking for a good RR soundset for it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also been thinking about emailing BSS and seeing if they can make a nice sound pack for it.

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Hello everyone, my name is Ace! Flight simulation has been one of my hobbies for many years. Started flying in FS2004, and later moved on to FSX and P3D. I've known of the existence of X-Plane for many years, but didn't seriously consider switching until last year when some of the big name P3D scenery developers began developing for X-Plane 11. Figured that if they saw something in the sim it had to be good! Downloaded the free demo last night and was hooked after two quick flights around Seattle in the default Cessna 172. Purchased the full version of XP11 today and am going to finish the install as soon as I get some free time. Being a fan of flying commercial airliners, I plan to start with the Zibo 737-800X and go from there. Once I'm acquainted with it I plan to up the ante with plugins such as a weather engine and AI traffic. So excited to get to know everyone in this community, and to see where this new simulator takes me!

Edited by alphajuliet
  • Like 1

Hi All. I have no loyalty for any sim .i Go with the sim that gives me the best vr experiences ,so far x plane is for me .Dave B.

• Like 1

Hello guys,

I'm Sabre. I fly XP11 and P3D. I found you while looking for Delta's BA livery for FF320U.

You have a great resource for XP11.

Thanks,

Sabre.

• Like 1

Hi Folks

I'll try to keep it brief. I'm a real world current ATP rated G IV corporate pilot with over 40 years World wide flight experience in fixed wing G A aircraft. Bought a Mooney Ranger the first day I soloed, and turned it into a 310 J model seven months later. Needless to say, I was hooked. Sold my automotive service business and started flying 135 charter for a local New England based FBO. First type rating was in a non-reversed Citation 500, Then a 60 model Sabreliner, then several years later became employed by a fractional ownership company. After several other jet type ratings with them, I retired here in Florida and still fly contract hire for several different owners..

Last June, we bought a vacation home near Dayton Tennessee. I came across the Dayton Municipal airport one Sunday afternoon and ran into a local Civil Air Patrol officer, who immediately recruited me to join their squadron. It seemed like forever, 1999 to be exact, since I flew a Cessna 182 for the Marco Island Florida senior squadron , so I decided to investigate the flight sim community to get myself up to speed in light aircraft. Started out  with FSX Steam, tried X-Plane demo, upgraded my hardware, got hooked, and have never looked back. 

I've accumulated almost every add on airplane I've ever flown, except a Challenger 601, which I've yet to find. I purposely attended the last SimXpo in Orlando two weeks ago, with the sole interest in exploring VR, to make sure it would fit for me. I received my  Oculus Rift S, only 3 days ago, and am eager to make it as user friendly to me as possible.

It's almost as real as it gets!

• Like 2

Hello, I am just getting started with x plane. I am recovering from surgery and therefore have a lot of time on my hands. Planes and flying have always fascinated me. So I thought I would see if there were any good flight games or sims on PS4, there really arn't. But I kept seeing x plane and FSX in my searches, so I did a little digging and wow. This is pretty cool. So I placed orders for a yoke, pedals & throttle quadrant. In the meantime I am messing with the demo and waiting for my orders to arrive. And watching YT trying to learn. I don;t know if I am gong to order x plane online or order the dics. Either way I am really looking forward to getting started, and learning which I sure this site will help with. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

I am Amanda, I have been into flight sims going all the way back to the sublogic flight sim back in the C64 days.  guess you might call that flight sim 1? or where it started.  then through the years had newer and newer iterations of Flight sims,  Microsoft flight sims, up to and including FSX   (not every one but quite a few.)  I have also been around Xplane since xplane 8. now on Xplane 11.

I was away from simming for quite awhile over the past few years.  But recently in the past year, have taken off again (pun intended), and am in XP11 many times every day.  I have a lot of scenery mods, and aircraft purchased for XP 11. Also utilities like ASXP using its textures override for weather, Fly with Lua Passenger FX American edition, ground handling deluxe HD, and more.   Some of the aircraft I like these days are the x-aviation TBM-900, Saab SF340,  and CRJ-200. also FF A320 Ultimate, 757 extended, and 767 extended.  really like the Zibo mod 737-800.  looking forward to trying the 737-700U and the 737-900U as well. Have a few other payware/freeware aircraft too.  I have simbrief and downloader, navigraph charts and updater, and some other flight planners as well.

Right now I am in the hunt for a good flight yoke and throttle, and buttons setup, as I only have a xbox one controller for windows PC now, and mouse/keyboard.  pain to fly this way.  anyone have any good experiences with decent setups would like to know.  though I do not have much room in the area I am setup in at home. 

I run a win 10 comp, run a MSI 750A-Pro MB 17-7700K cpu overclocked 4.6G, Gigabyte GTX1080-Ti GPU 11G mem, overclocked 125M core, 325M on the mem clocks. water cooled single 140mm fan setup for CPU.  32G PCI-3300 team group ram.  my windows is running on SSD, and XP11 is also running on it's own SSD.

so that is a little about my setup, and my history of flight sims.  seems like a decent intro to me? 

• Like 3

Hello everyone,🤗

I started this endless journey of flight simulation almost 12 years ago, first with Microsoft Flight Simulator X and later with the Steam version, couple of years later and after upgrading the horse power of my equipement, I switched to P3D V3 (32bits) which caused me the biggest brain damage because of the endless hours of tweaking and changing settings and researching in every single forum for solutions. (I bet every P3D user knows what I am talking about) and this show continued with P3D V4.  Although V4 was more stable, if felt so crappy in performance, stuttery.

After a while i realised how much time and money i was wasting with this simulator and felt that i ended up flying less either bcs of tweaking or changing setting or bcs of random crashes, and honestly I felt that it's a bit unfair that we are spending 1000s of pounds dollars euros for our equipments which in some cases can be stronger than a NASA computer but not enough for P3D, which is not acceptable in 2019 to offer this type of poor programming and software engineering, for me it felt like a scam.  I am not here to talk about crap about P3D, it would be unfair to do so, as this platform tought me everything I know today about flight simulation and developpers like PMDG, FSLABS, QW, etc gave us high quality products and learned so much from this products. To end my run about P3D; I always say : P3D is a bad school with good teachers👨‍🎓.

Now Xplane. So I owned XPlane 10 and I won't lie, probably I didn't spend more than 1 hour, and once XP11 was released i also purchased it and I tried it a bit and I was like hmmmm that's beautiful but there is no actual good airplanes for it, and it felt so different from all the others sims (Field of view option, city lights and airport lights without any addons, Rwy slopes) and I was like Holy Molly that's an amazing sim why it is so underrated.
The truth is, it was underrated only in my brain and my fellow P3D friends. But finally I switched 100% to XP 11 1 year ago and got hooked forever. The sim is so smooth even at low FPS, the Design, the UI, etc. LAMINAR did a good job, they created a hell of a platform a very sexy simulator. The community did helped a lot, all the free things I downloaded whcih felt payware quality, I never expected things to be this way arround XPlane.

To  anyone who ends up reading this post and is still lost in the dark cells of other simulators follow this path of happines: 

- Get XP 11
- Get an account at thresholdx (Free)
- Get an account at xplane.org (Free)
- Get yourself any nice airports ( plenty of them are free)
- Get the zibo 737-800x  (The best 737 you will home fly, also Free)
- Download Better pushback ( Free)
- Have 1 flight , (That's it you are hooked forever with xplane)

• Like 1