1.10 Development screenshots

Captain Kitten

This is not only going to throw the other weather plugins out the court, this will seriously pull people from other flight simulator plastforms, and be a deciding factor whether or not to get X-plane or not. Beautiful!

Edited by Micael Liam
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Impressive! Looks very nice 🙂

But - why is the sun visible through the clouds? Shouldn't a cloud-cover of that thickness, block the sun?

That depends on the density of the cloud. This is a very thin and not so dense cloud layer. There are adjustments to be made, but you do see the light from the sun through some clouds since they have different density.

15 hours ago, jg175 said:

A recent poll on XPNG Facebook had Active Sky being rated better than Xenviro, hopefully 1.10 can right the ship and put em in their place

Which is silly since you can't even compare the two. They are completely different things. It's like comparing a car engine with a complete car.  I know of that poll of course since it's my group.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In all fairness, Cpt Kitten has posted videos before showing the aircraft flying through clouds. Another point that needs to be made is that devs are working with the constraints of the X Plane infrastructure that is not yet at Vulkan and where there is a vast difference in performance power from user to user. I can’t blame them for not showing full quality becuase for example a user who runs X Plane on a GTX 680 is not going to have the same performance as one using a GTX1080TI. Devs always have to strike the balance of performance and quality and I assume it can be hard. 

Give credit to XE for pushing the envelope using noise rendered voluemtrics and constructing their own atmospheric model. I know of another lazy dev that is selling their weather “engine” for 40 USD while still relying on default X Plane cloud and sky textures while promising new ones sometime in 2019-20 which also will come as a separate product!! If Laminar Research dedicated more time into upgrading weather systems by default, devs would have more to work with. We XPL users haven’t even gotten a water depiction upgrade in the XPL 11 cycle

Edited by jg175
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, versus said:

As always never flying through clouds. Clouds are relatively flat, lacking height and thickness, Just my thoughts. 

Here's a video from way earlier in the development process (before beta even) of the FF A320 flying through the clouds. As such, stutters, artifacts and frame drops are not representative of the final product.

2 hours ago, olcay said:

Up to now, I havent seen any towering clouds either. As seen in the previous pictures only flat clouds. Work in progress till 2022 with 1500 betas..

As you may or may not have seen during the recent bout of livestreams, Magnus mentions that towering clouds are not present in the beta versions *yet*. There were present in internal test builds, however, they will be one of the later additions in the beta.

• Like 1

Come on. I have been flying through clouds in many of the latest videos. Where is this even coming from. I even fly through the top of one in the latest one. And what are you looking for in the first place? It's volumetric clouds. You fly through them.. simple.

As for cloud types: as Xephyr days and has been mentioned continously in both streams: cloud types are limited now but will be more of later. 

With that said cloud thickness of the cloud type you see in xe depends on ceiling and base from weather data so no, there is no "lack of thickness" In the clouds you see in the video. And it accurately represented the weather of South Britain during flight. 

• Like 3