1.10 Development screenshots

Captain Kitten

Amazing work 👏

I've got a quick question though, sorry if it has been asked before, I recently got Active sky XP, and I really like the way it behaves in terms of wind, turbulences etc... I feel like it's a pretty advanced weather injector.

Will it be compatible with Xenviro 1.10 (as in Xenviro visuals and asxp weather simulation) ?

If not, would you say Xenviro's weather engine is more or less advanced than asxp, how does it compare? Will I miss asxp in terms of flight dynamic if I get Xenviro?

Thanks

Edited by Inexorable

3 hours ago, Inexorable said:

Amazing work 👏

I've got a quick question though, sorry if it has been asked before, I recently got Active sky XP, and I really like the way it behaves in terms of wind, turbulences etc... I feel like it's a pretty advanced weather injector.

Will it be compatible with Xenviro 1.10 (as in Xenviro visuals and asxp weather simulation) ?

If not, would you say Xenviro's weather engine is more or less advanced than asxp, how does it compare? Will I miss asxp in terms of flight dynamic if I get Xenviro?

Thanks

I can't tell you how Xenviro will compare with ASXP, but from what I have read and understood, XEnviro has its own integrated weather engine that will create the cloud layers, type and winds. I am pretty sure that you won't be able to use ASXP as the weather generator for the XEnviro clouds. It will probably be a case of deciding which weather engine to use for a particular flight, XEnviro or ASXP. I am sure after release there will be reviews comparing the two  systems. I think one benefit of XEnviro will be that you will turn it on as a plugin from within XP11, and not have to start it as an independent programme outside of XP. If I am wrong on any of this, I will be corrected by those who know! Other and much more important benefits will be the Voluminous clouds, snow settling on the ground and runways when appropriate, and the wonderful cloud formations we have already seen in the images posted from the beta team.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Yorkshire said:

I can't tell you how Xenviro will compare with ASXP, but from what I have read and understood, XEnviro has its own integrated weather engine that will create the cloud layers, type and winds. I am pretty sure that you won't be able to use ASXP as the weather generator for the XEnviro clouds. It will probably be a case of deciding which weather engine to use for a particular flight, XEnviro or ASXP. I am sure after release there will be reviews comparing the two  systems. I think one benefit of XEnviro will be that you will turn it on as a plugin from within XP11, and not have to start it as an independent programme outside of XP. If I am wrong on any of this, I will be corrected by those who know! Other and much more important benefits will be the Voluminous clouds, snow settling on the ground and runways when appropriate, and the wonderful cloud formations we have already seen in the images posted from the beta team.

Thanks for your answer, well I just hope 1.10 will not only be about visuals and a good weather engine will come with it, I like volumetric clouds but if it means Xplane default winds and turbulences I think I'll stick with ASXP to be honest

We'll see how it turns out 😉

@Inexorable Hello, I totally disagree with you. Xenviro winds and turbulences are by far better than ALL weather engines as well as the default one. I have purchased and tested ALL of them and the only one worth the money is Xenviro. I am now using XE 1.07 and get such realistically, immersive results on the routes which I fly also in real life! Yes, the program has bugs like the haze issue for example, BUT Xenviro 1.07 exactly copies real weather “as it is” into the simulator. I enjoy the turbulence at the right flight level, the fantastic “fly through cloud” effects, “in cloud” effects at night, cloud visuals at night, correct representing of the clouds in the sky etc. For me XEnviro 1.07 is the best weather engine until today, even it is not 100% perfect, I am so happy having purchased it and will continue to support these innovative people creating such innovative products. Looking forward to Version 1.10 no matter how long it takes, since 1.07 is working really good for me.

1.10 won't be very long off though. This half of this year is very much doable now. (as per usual I do NOT promise an ETA - never have and never will) this is an approximation.

ASXP will NOT be compatible with xE. xE cloud system is dependent on the internal weather engine to function. Noise rendered volumetric cloud behavior made this even more locked down. Remember that this is completely new tech for our sim. This makes weather radar implementation not as straight forward too.

b59 beta testers screenshots

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

• Like 2

Frankly --- ever since FSX --- all the flight sim community has lagged and yearned for years to have the experience and immersion that only and only XE is now bringing to table.

Thanks to its creative team who really hit the nail and made this lively soaring immersion possible.

we need more ..... more .... keep up the good work.

you have opened an iris for the dome of expectation.

The beauty of voxel-based rendering is that it opens rooms for infinite mathematical combinations to show up - as opposed to sprite based renditions.

Edited by Bakr

Hi Magnus,

I have a question about the thickness of cloud layer.

do you have implemented a calculations to determine the base and the top of an layer ?

for example :

a metar indicate a few clouds at 4000 feet "few040", so the base of this layer will be at 4000 feet but the top of this layer, at what altitude will be ? 

thanks,

Are the cloud shadows going to make it onto 1.10?  How about the shadow shafts below the clouds as mentioned on pg. 5 of this forum?  I know a lot has changed through development to this point, so I figured I would ask.

Oh, and I see the overcast screen shots, but the few and broken are faint if at all present. The shadows beneath, that is.   

Edited by Americanpilot89
you all really NEEDED to know about the overcast...

B61 is the real thing!

Did you shortened the view distance for performance balance? not that I don't like it but I noted that in your last betas.

Now when I look at the real clouds in the sky, I compare them to your last screenshots and I am convinced that yours are more realistic... what's my problem?

Edited by noooch

42 minutes ago, noooch said:

B61 is the real thing!

Did you shortened the view distance for performance balance? not that I don't like it but I noted that in your last betas.

Now when I look at the real clouds in the sky, I compare them to your last screenshots and I am convinced that yours are more realistic... what's my problem?

We have not shortened the view distance.

for a moment i was dragged to gaze at the giza  ground scenery 

then i remember  - i should rather gaze at the giza sky environment -- 

i figured my brain was satisfied with the skies this time and point of attention was thus point downwards....hmmm...

Magnus,

This work is looking extraordinary - congrats to the entire team for all the progress that's been made on 1.10!

Just a quick point of clarification regarding VR in 1.10 - on November 2, 2018, you stated:

On 11/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, Captain Kitten said:

I am sorry to bring some bad news. It was not something that we expected and have never said that we support (yet), but VR does not work in xE1.10 and will not work in 1.10. How much work it is to get xE VR ready is uncertain. We will concentrate on that in a later stage. Sorry... As for the screenshots: Clouds are not in focus in these tests and are therefore very simple. Disregard artifacts. (I have completely fallen in love with the HotStart TBM...)

However, you more recently stated the following:

On 3/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, Captain Kitten said:

Enough chatter in the screenshot section please 🙂 Take it in the discussions section.

Allright - an update:

Hi there. Is no news good news? In this case it's a yes and no.

I'll start with the "no side" because we have had yet another obsticle to overcome. We were at a point where we had to start tackling some performance issues. The way we wanted to overcome this and had planned to for some time, threw some serious negative side effects at us which would potentially ruin VR and even track IR compability. So we had to take a step back and rethink. We had a couple of intense days with the beta team wondering what the hell was going on..

It's been 10 days since my last update on the progress. I have been way way way too busy on several fronts and have only answered some questions here, on discord and in the Threshold forum sporadically.

So what is the "yes side" - the positive in not hearing from us? We have come up with a solution. And we have been working hard on getting back on track.

What does this mean?

We have remade some of the lego bricks that are the different parts of xEnviro and are now reassembling and working our way back to the nice cloud definition/resolution and grainless clouds we had in b19. I wish I had more positive news once I published this progress update - but we're serious about getting the performance right.

Screenshots are from b35 - that number should tell you somethng about how much has been done the last 10 days...

thereby potentially suggesting that 1.10 is now VR-compatible. Any clarification on this is greatly appreciated, as this 1.10 release is sure to be a major step forward for X-Plane. Thanks very much.

-Elliot