1.10 Development screenshots

Captain Kitten

b71 mid progress

Whats going on?
The team has been working non stop the last weeks. Andrey has been working an insane amount to squish bugs, implement remaining features and ironing out conflicts that occur. That man is imperessive! The bug list is getting vanishingly small, populated by few but hard bugs. Alongside and especially lately the layer mixing and channel adjustments have taken a much larger portion of the development process. This means that we are steaming ahead.

Where are you on the Nürburgring?
We're back on the track and we are full throttle on the straight towards the last bends before the finish line. We think we have passed Tiergarten and are on our way towards Hohenrain. It's still very foggy and we don't really know where the first chikane after the straight is. But we have confidence in the tools that were sharpened and we should be able to cut the corners just right.

So give us an ETA!
Slow down there Jose. We won't show them cachonas to the chikas just yet. Right now we need to test everything even deeper and try to keep an eye on performance and stability while finishing touches are applied. A clean shave must be confirmed before we present.

But..
Enough metafores! Back to work. We can smell a release candidate on the horizon.

Here have some screenshots
*runs back to lab

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It is looking super awesome. 
I need to give a great thank you to you guys. The effort, work and passion you put into this product is just awesome.

Looking forward to my first flight since 6 months, the only thing to keep me waiting is the release of that beauty. 
And, I now take my "bad words" completely back. I was a bit uncertain about the evolution of this product, but now I am certain, that THIS product was worth waiting for for so long.

CANNOT WAIT

Nick

Sorry for asking this if it has been answered already, but how can you be 100% sure this will be compatible with Vulkan/Metal (planned for this year)? Or how could you know Vulkan will not contain aspects that will break 1.10? They said in their last public conference that aircrafts and sceneries wont be affected but all the "weather related stuff" won't be compatible anymore...

I ask you this because I'm not a rich man but I really want to invest in your product, so I want to be sure I wont throw away my money.

Thank you for your understanding

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, noooch said:

Sorry for asking this if it has been answered already, but how can you be 100% sure this will be compatible with Vulkan/Metal (planned for this year)? Or how could you know Vulkan will not contain aspects that will break 1.10? They said in their last public conference that aircrafts and sceneries wont be affected but all the "weather related stuff" won't be compatible anymore...

I ask you this because I'm not a rich man but I really want to invest in your product, so I want to be sure I wont throw away my money.

Thank you for your understanding

It has been said that it should be a no factor, but knowing xEnviro from the past, the first big glitch - they'll blame Laminar for changing stuff, again (Meanwhile, XE 1.06 & 1.07 worked seamlessly with the LR code changes throughout.) Glad you asked this again, actually.  It seems the developers have had to revisit the main plans since the last time this was asked, so maybe that has changed too. 🙂

Edited by Americanpilot89

6 hours ago, Captain Kitten said:

Um I almost feel this was made from my request... The honesty in the video of dev changes is understood.  I am the #1 fan in the live streams supporting this product development hurdles.  NO other sim, NO other game, NO other software is doing what you have sought out to accomplish = Realtime Volumetric Rendering of environmental clouds, sky in 3D using real weather data & allow flight.

The backlash or feedback I get is they want to see another realtime flight at its current stage with fps counter.
they think showing screenshots, and now timelapse video is hiding low fps performance.

Give us a few clips. please... 
Thank you for this I can't wait to make my own timelapses.

3 hours ago, ashmanmedia said:

Um I almost feel this was made from my request... The honesty in the video of dev changes is understood.  I am the #1 fan in the live streams supporting this product development hurdles.  NO other sim, NO other game, NO other software is doing what you have sought out to accomplish = Realtime Volumetric Rendering of environmental clouds, sky in 3D using real weather data & allow flight.

The backlash or feedback I get is they want to see another realtime flight at its current stage with fps counter.
they think showing screenshots, and now timelapse video is hiding low fps performance.

+1 

I can only join them.

4 hours ago, ashmanmedia said:

I am looking into another live stream. But it's hard to find time for it. With the expo coming up and Threshold being a media partner there we have our hands full. In addition we are whipping up some new concepts to keep Threshold floating economically. Sadly the people who have been supporting us through subscriptions, donations and store purchases stand as a surprisingly low percentage compared to the vast influx of new members and readership. Our statistics on page views and usage of the forum is staggering. With that costs go up so Thresholds survival is of high priority right now. 

But, If I do get the time for a stream I will. One more video is in the pipeline though. Performance will not be a part of it. Performance will be mentioned when we see that the rest of our tweaks don't affect it all too much and we can say that this is how performance will be. 

It is still better than 1.09

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Captain Kitten said:

I am looking into another live stream. But it's hard to find time for it. With the expo coming up and Threshold being a media partner there we have our hands full. In addition we are whipping up some new concepts to keep Threshold floating economically. Sadly the people who have been supporting us through subscriptions, donations and store purchases stand as a surprisingly low percentage compared to the vast influx of new members and readership. Our statistics on page views and usage of the forum is staggering. With that costs go up so Thresholds survival is of high priority right now. 

But, If I do get the time for a stream I will. One more video is in the pipeline though. Performance will not be a part of it. Performance will be mentioned when we see that the rest of our tweaks don't affect it all too much and we can say that this is how performance will be. 

It is still better than 1.09

I'm sorry to hear that about Threshold, I'll be sure to check your store next time I make an XP purchase.

And I think when XEnviro 1.10 releases, a lot of people will buy it! 😉

I do have a question though, I know you don't want to talk about FPS performance, as you said, and I understand,

my question is more about the impact related to CPU/GPU performance, do you have an idea of what the ratio is?

By that I mean : Is Xenviro more GPU taxing or CPU taxing? I don't need any specific numbers, just an estimation if you have one.

I'd imagine volumetric clouds to be way more taxing on GPU performance than on CPU performance, but we never know

I ask this because I've got a pretty good GPU but my CPU is a bit older, it's my main bottleneck right now when running xplane

I know at this stage you can't be sure about anything performance wise, but regarding the current build what is your opinion?

Thanks for your answer 🙂 

Edited by Inexorable

1 hour ago, Inexorable said:

I'm sorry to hear that about Threshold, I'll be sure to check your store next time I make an XP purchase.

I do have a question though, I know you don't want to talk about FPS performance, as you said, and I understand,

my question is more about the impact related to CPU/GPU performance, do you have an idea of what the ratio is?

By that I mean : Is Xenviro more GPU taxing or CPU taxing? I don't need any specific numbers, just an estimation if you have one.

I'd imagine volumetric clouds to be way more taxing on GPU performance than on CPU performance, but we never know

I ask this because I've got a pretty good GPU but my CPU is a bit older, it's my main bottleneck right now when running xplane

I know at this stage you can't be sure about anything performance wise, but regarding the current build what is your opinion?

Thanks for your answer 🙂 

xEnviro is heavy on the GPU. Don't worry about your CPU. Custom sceneries and airports would certainly slow down your CPU much more. If you have a good GPU then don't worry. 

5 hours ago, Inexorable said:

Thanks for your answer 🙂 

Qwqaholic is right. XEnviro is 9/10th gpu dependent. Maybe more. 

20 minutes ago, noooch said:

Captain Kitten, could you please answer the question about Vulkan compatibility?

Thank you very much

This has been answered in the past. Nothing for xplane is Vulcan compatible. All you can do is prepare for it. We are prepared. 

Besides. Xplane won't leave open gl and only be Vulcan from the day Vulcan is introduced. All addons will have plenty of time to adapt to Vulcan. So no need to panic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Based on above discussions, we can comfortable establish the XENVIRO 1.10 is GPU dependent.

a futuristic dual NV-LINKED GPU setup RTX 2080 TI (with Vulkan) -- i wonder about wonders it can make - and really hope XEN will scale-up automatically - in both or either of the two folds (maybe user preference):

• performance
  • quality
Edited by Bakr
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Bakr said:

Based on above discussions, we can comfortable establish the XENVIRO 1.10 is GPU dependent.

a futuristic dual GPU setup RTX 2080 TI (with Vulkan) -- i wonder about wonders it can make - and really hope the XEN will scale up automatically to underlying hardware.

xE is GPU dependent.

Automatically "Scaling up" is not easily done. Especially with the necessary increase of sampling resolution, which has the main benefit of higher detail. That is impossible without going back a few steps and redo a lot of what we have done since ca b50. We will do this at one point in the future, but not with the introduction of Vulcan. The expected benefit of Vulcan is very overrated by the community. The cautious approach towards Vulcans benefit for the simulator is also stated by Laminar on several occasions.

Right now our main focus is to get xE established on its new track and move along the roadmap.

• Like 3