For those out there with VR headsets could you post the type of unit you have and your experiences.  I'm right on the edge of breaking down and buying one and I want to know which ones work best with X-Plane, and also if I should hold off for the next generation.

Thanks in advance.

I have only ever used the Rift, and it's a good headset in general. I get around 20 fps in VR which is enough, although settings need to be turned down quite a bit. I find it far more pleasing to turn the Oculus Tray Tool's super sampling and force 45fps override off, otherwise they cause immense stuttering.

A lot of aircraft still don't work in VR, or very poorly. FlyJSim 732, all Flight Factor aircraft and several others have different experiences, mostly negative unfortunately. Hopefully devs will offer support pretty soon.

My specs are: i5-4690K, GTX 970 and 32GB of RAM, no SSDs.

There is no such thing as a bad headset on the market right now.

I use the VIVE because Oculus has a  reputation of poor customer service. I have absolutely no complaints about my VIVE and it's compatibility with XPlane.

The only advice most of us will be able to give you is that you MUST have a computer capable of running VR otherwise your headset will be a waste of money.

My specs: GTX 1080, I7-7700K 5.1 GHz, 32GB RAM running XP on an SSD. Even with my specs, VR in XPlane is roughly 30 FPS on medium-low settings.

• Confused 1

Dradecki, like others that have responded about VR, I have to also admit that the computer specs matter more than the headset you select.  I use the Oculus Rift with the controllers along with a CH flight yoke and CH pro pedals.  My experience with vr has changed my simming in such a fantastic way that words alone can't describe.  I haven't had any issues with the Rift but I ended up purchasing prescription lenses from Widmo because glasses were not an option for me in the Rift.  I don't ever see me going back to a flat screen and I know vr is just going to keep getting better and better.  I run an I7-7700k @ 4.2mhz with 16 GB ram and a GTX 1060 and my fps varies depending on the plane I fly as well as the airports I fly from but the immersion is soooo worth the detail I might lose by turning down some options. Sorry this got so long, but my passion for vr is obviously high.  I've been a simulation guy since the sublogic days and am a private pilot in real life so vr is what I've been waiting for most of my life.  Hope this helps, even if just a little.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 11:23 PM, Shenherm said:

I use the VIVE because Oculus has a  reputation of poor customer service.

Weird. I have heard only the opposite. Many horror stories on Reddit both in the Oculus and Vive subs (complaining about terrible HTC support). I hope you don't have to suffer any of the things I've read about.

On 12/8/2018 at 3:05 AM, gje said:

My experience with vr has changed my simming in such a fantastic way that words alone can't describe....  I don't ever see me going back to a flat screen and I know vr is just going to keep getting better and better.  ... I've been a simulation guy since the sublogic days and am a private pilot in real life so vr is what I've been waiting for most of my life.  

Same here. I have been simming (or playing flying games the wife calls it) since late 80's, including military sims online with real mil pilots. After getting an Oculus Rift I cannot go back to flat screens so Falcon 4 and IL-2 Clod (my fave sims) have to stay on the shelf until they work in VR, so now I only fly X-Plane. I am also a pilot and I used X-Plane to supplement my training, it really helped me with my skills.

Hi Coda, when I was renting a 172 several years ago, it would be maybe several months before I could justify the money to go out an rent the plane again.  During the interval of inactive flying the real thing, I flew Microsoft Flight Sim.  At my biennial flight review, the CFI commented that he couldn't believe how well I flew with such a time span between aircraft rentals.  I let him know that it was the yoke and pedals at my desk that kept some form of reflex and muscle memory in shape.  Sorry I got long, but I just love this stuff.

Gary 

IF it helps I am using htc Vive in Xplane11 it works well I only struggle with rudder control possibly due to inexperience. And make sure there is enough power on your controllers as power failure on the wil cause loss of controll