Some feedback

Delta_Who

Hi, congratulations on the release of SAM. I'm sure is the culmination of a lot of blood, sweat and tears 😄

A few queries if I could have your time : 

1. Jetways accidentally connecting onto unauthorized ID's

I've been messing around with implementing SAM into Aerosoft's Heathrow. As you can see from the image, a Jetway from another gate decided to extend past its limit to connect with the 747. The connection is uncommanded, and only occurs at certain camera angles.

747-400_9.thumb.png.e1646eab9ac6cc8d3f6a14afd6389e53.png

747-400_7.thumb.png.e384c7b5279ab760d7f9f2622c0f5a6c.png

747-400_5.thumb.png.d54543b05c5066f5736ea50d07cdd7dd.png

2. Jetway not fully lowered into position on smaller aircraft

When using the 5.0m jetway option, it seems the jetway is incapable of lowering to meet the doors height. With a 737, there seems to be an appropriate limit to how far down the Jetway can extend, but with the A320, it should be perfectly within limits.

Letting SAM tweak the jetway connection

A320_76.thumb.png.a5edfece26922c77faff18bce497f56f.png

Manual Tweaking

A320_75.thumb.png.a264a9e82e52438876a2f2427f503e5b.png

Some other quirks : 

- I might be blind, but I don't really see an option to configure gate configurations dependent on the aircraft type. This is somewhat at a disadvantage if you have several different gate markings for one stand.

- This is more on the Laminar side, but trying to slew aircraft using the default map is extremely difficult. Perhaps some simple transform commands would be appropiate here 😄

- On a single monitor screen, the SAM interface (not the authoring tool) is rather invasive. I would prefer to see an on-screen option that slides out when in range.

- Options for stair tugs and baggage carts? I'm not aware of the roadmap and it may be something you've already considered.

- Attempting to connect to Jetway is often a bit fiddly. Sometimes the option is presented on screen, but gates won't connect. Other times, you set a parking position which should be in range, but isn't.

Overall, glad to see some steps to replace the old Autogate plugin.

P.S. I would love to get some sample files to see how a jetway or autogate is setup and rigged for exporting!

SAM.log

aircraft.xml

Thanks for your feedback. Here is ours:

1. Jetways accidentally connecting onto unauthorized ID's

That's because during implementation of this jetway you ticked "force connect to aircraft" and forgot to uncheck it before continuing with the next one. As it is forced it will connect anywhere although you're out of the limits. That setting is saved until next restart of the sim.

2. Jetway not fully lowered into position on smaller aircraft

The template of each jetway is set to a certain limit so that passengers would not have to "climb" out of the aircraft. However depending on the aircraft type and the jetway it indeed has to be finetuned. You can do that by editing the values in the installation tab of each jetway after applying the template. You can then save a new template which will include all new values if you like.

NEVER EVER change the door position of an aircraft which is already supported. It will mess up all other jetways 😉

I might be blind, but I don't really see an option to configure gate configurations dependent on the aircraft type. This is somewhat at a disadvantage if you have several different gate markings for one stand.

That would basically require to set up a correct parking spot for EVERY supported aircraft. If Heathrow has like 100 parking spots you would have to set up more than 1.000 configurations. I bet you won't do that and that's why it's not implemented 😉

This is more on the Laminar side, but trying to slew aircraft using the default map is extremely difficult. Perhaps some simple transform commands would be appropiate here

The easiest would be to set up a WED startup location for each parking spot. Then you only have to load each once. However you would have to use a docking object (marshaller/VDGS) for each parking position. It is not possible to serve different parkings with the same object. But it will only show the one which is the closest to your position.

On a single monitor screen, the SAM interface (not the authoring tool) is rather invasive. I would prefer to see an on-screen option that slides out when in range.

You are probably refering to the situation when using manual connection instead of automatic because otherwise the long list of jetways wouldn't be visible. We might change that in the future.

Options for stair tugs and baggage carts? I'm not aware of the roadmap and it may be something you've already considered.

Although christmas is close Santa was busy with other things this year 😉

Attempting to connect to Jetway is often a bit fiddly. Sometimes the option is presented on screen, but gates won't connect. Other times, you set a parking position which should be in range, but isn't.

Probably because you added a lot of jetways and played around with the checkboxes, testsliders etc. Try to restart the sim. If the jetway is still not connecting you can click "force connect" and check the test sliders. You will definitely have at least one value which is out of limits. If the object permits you can change the values but the library jetways are actually pretty much set up to their maximum values. We hope to have more jetway models in the future.

And yes we will create a tutorial on how to animate jetways, at least for 3ds max. If you have AC3D you can import the library jetway to see the animated parts with their values.

Edited by Marten@Stairport
  • Like 1

Cheers for the speedy response! Good to see user error is still a thing 😛 Apologies!

One the gate position via aircraft config, I disagree somewhat. Whilst time consuming, I can't imagine a better solution than setting a "default" position, and then use markers depicted on-screen to specify an offset position, and the aircraft codes associated with that offset. JarDesign Ground Handling has a fairly intuitive setup for their object positioning using visual markers, which I feel could benefit in this scenario.

Re: The menu. This was a quick draft of what I was thinking. Something that rolls-over when on the ground, and lists the nearest trigger-able objects, and all groups and associated id's. (I didn't really think of the logistics of it all nor the design, but just a quick jot-down.

SAM.thumb.png.82450d31dfca97e241bdd5f587f089b1.png

I'll be sure to ask Santa again for the "other" things next year ;D