Hyrdroz Freeware PBY-5A Catalina Actual 9767 VR Implementation

Guest Shenherm

Guest Shenherm

Hi guys,

Joe has worked on and released the SimVRLabs mod for the excellent PBY Catalina freeware by Hydroz Freeware:

This is the SimVRlabs mod for the PBY-5A Catalina "Actual 9767" Variant only.  This excellent freeware aircraft can be downloaded here:  https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/38316-consolidated-pby-5a-catalina-9767/

I recommend you grab the PBR mod by Silentdark 666 here:  https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/41004-pby-5a-catalina-pbr-mod/

This SimVRlabs VR mod went beyond the scope of the usual VR work.  I made some actual custom upgrades to the cockpit to allow for excellent VR compatibility:

- Autopilot made to always show - heading and altitude hold only

- Autopilot disconnect button (red button to the left of autopilot)

- Panel png size doubled (2048 x 2048) to allow for new GPS's and future Avitab integration

- Actual Laminar GNS 530 and GNS 430 brought in and configured for full functionality

- Added heading bug for autopilot heading mode (turn the autopilot knob)

- Added Gyro Sync button for directional gyro (click the gyro knob)

- Remade all the buttons on the transponder

- X-pad hidden

Then I performed the usual SimVRlabs treatment:

- Throttles, Props, Hotspots, Knobs, Switches, Yoke, etc...

Things that still don't quite work right:

- The ignition switch will not "hold" with VR controllers.  I've tried many workarounds, but I believe I'm fighting against some SASL code that's preventing it from happening.  So, for now, when doing the actual ignition start, I'm doing it in 2d with the mouse.  I'll continue to try and track down a solution.

- Would like to add a "needle" for the aileron trim gauge.  Right now you can't tell when your trim is centered, except for feel.

-  I still have no idea where the parking brake is for this thing, so for now I've just bound it to one of my VR controller's buttons until I can get one brought in and properly modeled/animated (which I can do if I can get some intel).

This took a very long time to do, many more hours than anticipated.  Each Catalina variant is a massive undertaking to re-work (because each cockpit is so different).  Would like to do the water bomber variant, as well as the modern variant in the future.