Jockeyboy2_0

Harassment of Developers

This is by no means a Bash at any developers, but  2019 for me has started out seeing 2 separate posts about Harassment of developers. While I do not Condone the actions of those who Harass, Sometimes there is a valid point. 
This is not a Harassment Post but here is my Moans and Disappointments that i have seen.  
Firstly I am not a keyboard or mouse simmer ,  In fact If I have to reach for the mouse all Immersion for me is lost.  I have spent a lot of money on Flight sim hardware so that If its a switch that's moved in a 3D cockpit I can move a switch in mine -  Its not a replica of a certain aircraft more a generic I can fly most things / style of cockpit. For programming my controls I use Spad.Next  and Pollypots Goflight interface.  These need access to at least monitor datarefs, which brings me on to my first Point. 

• Laminar Provide a whole heap of Datarefs & Commands that developers could use , or at least link to ,  Most common example  Master caution cancel (Carenado)  it requires a Mouse button click. Even worse some developers make datarefs private, with no command so you either need to understand how to access the dataref to read and write to it. They also provide No information on the dataref (Exception here Flight Factor 757 & 767) . Not Everyone Fly's with a Keyboard and Mouse, At least  give us the information on what dataref or command is linked to what switch.  It takes a good day to fully complete an aircraft profile this could be half a day if you started providing us with information. 
  • Wasted Hard drive space :  We have some cracking pieces of software that turn a lonely X-Plane into something amazing,  Vatsim , IVAO , World Traffic 3 , X-Life.  but we the end user need to install additional files for this software to work,  Bluebells Traffic (is what im thinking)   but where do we install it ??   In the folder the developer tells us to use,  The problem is there is no  Guidelines well there is but developers choose not to follow it.  Laminar gave us a Custom Data folder,  why is it not Standardised that we use that folder for example Bluebells traffic files , Then it would be a case of install it once and your done no matter what piece of software you use you can find it in this folder (its done for GPS).  Now I understand that "I" can create symbolic links / Junctions but this is not in everyone's ability or even have a clue what i'm talking about. 
  • Scenery:   Like many others I use X-organiser its a fantastic piece of software to keep on top of your scenery. It can even show you what version of a airport , scenery , mesh you have installed.  But "Some" Developers fail to insert a text file called version.txt.  It is Not a difficult file to write  Just place it in the root of your scenery
    an example 
V1.0 Xp11 Last Update 2 Apr 2018
  • Change-logs: When was the last time you saw one for the FF A320 ??  Also forum posters please don't insult my intelligence by telling us its in BETA we know we were prepared to invest money into it to Aid Development we want to Help but if we don't know whats being changed how do we know what to test / function.

Lastly  and this is of my own personal opinion but the BETA test itself,  How long should it be ??  personally  i would have thought a couple of Months Maximum , time to fully validate the product. Once it has completed a BETA then needs to come a Stable release ,  and a BETA Stream.  Not Keep it in BETA for 2 years  and introduce New Features. At the same time there is the Announcement of the Aircraft, The Hype train, "you couple the Hype Train to the its in BETA forum posters" its a recipe for disaster this is then more pressure on the Developers. This is not just in the world of X-plane this is happening,  Remember  "No Man's Sky"

Sorry for the Long Post ,  and as mentioned its by no means a Bash on developers I really wish I had the knowledge that you guys have,  it is merely observations and annoyances I have. 

Cheers

I think your title is off putting since your post isn't realy about the other posts of developer harrassment. Those posts are valid in my opinion. Very much so since I have felt this harassment my self intensely by representing xEnviro. Now, your points regarding sloppy developers are valid and that's why I find your title so unfitting. These are very different cases.

As for Beta runs. Beta runs have to be as long as they need to be. There just isn't a way to make a betarun within a predefined time frame. Challenges during the beta run and problems that develop before you have a stable and working version are unpredictable and can be very time consuming. Now, where I agree however, are "open betas" and "early access" which has become a plague in the gaming industry in general.

Feel free to change the title,  But you got my point Sloppy Developers.  
I don't know about the Xe Harassment so I cant comment,  but  "the critique received by Flight Factor for neglecting to update their A320"  Quote from Here  Perhaps FlightFactor Need to inform customers that an update has been released either by means of a Change log or A notification.  As Per the Org Version  it has been updated over 100 times that's approximately twice per week since I bought it.  A Few users on the other X-plane forum have been silenced for calling out developers and complaining or even commenting about a lack of support from developers.  

Regarding Beta I'm afraid I have to Agree to Disagree 🙂 .  Alpha Testing has a long term execution cycle (Usually in House)  but may include others with experience of the software or in this case the real life aircraft.
Beta testing (again my opinion here)  should be there to concentrate on the quality of a product and gather input to ensure the product is ready for real time users.  I agree that a BETA does take time,  But it Personally it should be done in a separate stream  so that not everyone is running BETA versions a bit like how X-plane itself has a stable release and then a Beta version should you wish to try.
Now your  comment Open Beta / Early access is Bang on. 

20 hours ago, Jockeyboy2_0 said:
  • Scenery:   Like many others I use X-organiser its a fantastic piece of software to keep on top of your scenery. It can even show you what version of a airport , scenery , mesh you have installed.  But "Some" Developers fail to insert a text file called version.txt.  It is Not a difficult file to write  Just place it in the root of your scenery
    an example 

V1.0 Xp11 Last Update 2 Apr 2018

Well this was news to me.  A version.txt will be in the next release of OpenSceneryX.

But this demonstrates that you can't always blame developers for not incorporating "standard" features that everyone expects.  If nobody tells the developer about it, how will they know?  I make a point of actively keeping up to date with new X-Plane features so that OSX can make use of these, but I'm afraid there aren't enough hours in the day to keep tabs on new features being added to the massive body of third party software out there - it's up to users to get in touch to request these sorts of enhancements.

Aussi ,  Many thanks for your comment and also for inclusion of the version.txt  file,  And you are correct if developers don't know  it is up to us the end user to point these out or request them.
Open Scenery X there is no real problem with as you just run the installer to get the latest version  (which is a great feature).  My comment was more toward scenery that is downloaded and then Updated How do you tell ??  Sure you have a last updated date where you are downloading from,  but that needs to be included in the download hence the version.txt file so you can later refer to it.  It can contain anything you want there are no special characters What I posted was really just an Example. 
Again Many thanks.

Yes it's an interesting challenge.  The .org does nowadays have a version number for every file, but you're right that without a standard way of identifying the version you've got on disk, it's only useful when browsing. One way of solving this is for the version.txt to be injected into the zip file automatically on the server when the file is uploaded.  I'm not sure whether an Invision Community plugin exists that could do this, but it would remove the need for each developer to do it manually.

Another way of solving it is for a desktop tool to do the downloading and extraction of the zip file, then that tool can store the version info itself. As it happens, I fully implemented this into XAddonManager 8 years go, collaborating with Mark Roberts who set up a server-side list of packages that XAM could interrogate and search.  It was all working well with test data and a test user, but unfortunately it fell by the wayside as Mark got really busy and I didn't want to pester him for updates to the server. I've been away from X-Plane for some time so haven't done anything on XAM for ages and it seems the much more fully featured xOrganiser has taken its place, so I doubt it would be very useful to resurrect that project.

Cheers,
Austin G.

I agree the title is a bit misleading, but your points are very much valid. Developers want to succeed, but they have an equal responsibility to look after our customers as we look after them.

For me, a decent addon gets no money from me if the developers cannot put the needs of their customers first. Time and time again, putting the money first and then the customer usually results in bad reputation for the developer, and I'm sorry, but that's how it should be. Developer reputation is as important, if not more important, than anything else nowadays. I will never invest in a product if the developer has been involved in a copyright scandal, doesn't communicate much or has a bad track record of something else.