XPNG NOVEMBER SCREENSHOT COMPETITION Read more... ×
Coop1019

Learning the X-Plane SDK with C++

Hi Everyone,

I have learned a lot of the X-Plane SDK throughout the development of the M20 Collection for X-Plane. I use C++ and the X-Plane SDK in my development. A lack of tutorials and examples cause a large barrier to entry with using this method of making plugins for aircraft. I want to have this forum here to help others (and hopefully other experienced developers can help here as well) to get more people making plugins for X-Plane using the SDK! Let me know if you have any good ideas on tutorials to make, things to demonstrate, questions you may have, etc. I look forward to helping out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hi Coop,

I've been thinking about this post for months now... 'n here we are.

A lack of tutorials and examples cause a large barrier to entry with using this method of making plugins for aircraft.

...Can't state enough - looking for tutorials on this .wauv  -  I'm old(er) now, and looking to spend my next years learning, tweaking; tinkering even...

Regards,

On 8/29/2018 at 3:35 PM, JordanChin said:

I think starting off with the basics is a good start. For example, I've done a lot of work with LUA but I have no idea where to start to make an .xpl plugin from the LUA code. 

.xpl plugins must be programmed and compiled in a language that is compatible with the X-Plane SDK. The most common languages for that would be either C or C++. Lua, Python, and other scripting languages are not compatible with the SDK in this regard. I hope to find the time to make a getting started tutorial on getting the SDK setup in Visual Studio.

Would also love some more tutorials on using the SDK.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a quickstart-type tutorial for getting into C/C++  for programmers experienced in other languages but nothing C-based? There are obviously loads available with a quick google search, but if anyone has had a positive experience with any specific tutorials coming from other languages, any recommendation would be much appreciated!

On 9/5/2018 at 8:30 AM, chriseverson said:

Would also love some more tutorials on using the SDK.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a quickstart-type tutorial for getting into C/C++  for programmers experienced in other languages but nothing C-based? There are obviously loads available with a quick google search, but if anyone has had a positive experience with any specific tutorials coming from other languages, any recommendation would be much appreciated!

I would say that this is a quite helpful website to learn if you can learn through reading and examples. http://www.cplusplus.com/

Besides that, there are some great video tutorials out there, I am not too familiar with those to recommend any though.

I struggled to find a simple tutorial to get setup with the SDK and an IDE to work with it. Finally found this one which at least got me an environment that worked

https://vimeo.com/8499889

Hey guys,

I have also taken a look into the SDK beginning of the year tho.
What I started with was taking a look at the X-Plane Dev page. There are some examples. So I downloaded them and messed around a bit.

I use Visual Studio Community 2017 and imported this example for instance.

https://developer.x-plane.com/code-sample/x-plane-11-window-api-sample/

Quite useful as a starting point at least.

Chees 

Woosel