Prospect of Linux Support

Rockwell_Lancer

Good Afternoon!

Just gotta say I love this add-on. The sky looks so beautiful now!

So, I've been considering fully migrating from Windows to Linux for X-Plane since I have an AMD GPU (RX 6800 XT), and the Windows drivers have given me all manner of problems with X-Plane (the OpenGL support in the Linux Mesa drivers is way better). I've compiled the Enhanced Cloudscapes source so it works on Linux (and love it), but I was wondering if there is any chance of seeing Enhanced Skyscapes on Linux, too, since .NET Core 5.0 is cross-platform.

Just wanted to ask, and if it's not planned, then no worries! Great work on this add-on either way!

Merry Christmas!

Dominick

Hi,

Linux support is planned, despite progressing rather slowly as I am very busy with exams and other things I need to handle in my double major. Given you already have the add-on this part does not apply to you, but I would not recommend purchasing it based on the premise of Linux support.

I hope this helps and I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

Good Morning @BiologicalNanobot, and thank you for the response. Merry Christmas!

No apology necessary! I bought this product very well aware of absence of Linux support, but seeing how Enhanced Cloudscapes can run on Linux, I was just curious, and thought I'd ask anyway.

Best of luck in your exams and your double-major; it's admirable you have so much dedication to both this and your studies.

Take care,

Dominick

3 hours ago, Rockwell_Lancer said:

Good Morning @BiologicalNanobot, and thank you for the response. Merry Christmas!

No apology necessary! I bought this product very well aware of absence of Linux support, but seeing how Enhanced Cloudscapes can run on Linux, I was just curious, and thought I'd ask anyway.

Best of luck in your exams and your double-major; it's admirable you have so much dedication to both this and your studies.

Take care,

Dominick

Hi,

Thank you for your kind comments. The main reason behind lack of Linux support for Enhanced Skyscapes is the fact that I used Visual C++ as my compiler during the development phase. Turns out this was a big mistake, because Visual C++ allows developers to write non-standard code and not notice it. Right now when I try to compile the code using GCC I get several errors, which were absent when I used Visual C++ instead. Other than that, there are no differences between Windows and Linux, at least in theory.

I'm also working on the upcoming update, which will introduce ASXP integration and a bunch of other improvements for rendering artifacts, cloud lighting and cloud shapes, combined with my studies I simply did not have enough time to address these compilation errors. I promise the development will get quite a bit faster in following weeks.

Have a nice day!

• Thanks 3