Open Club  ·  3,999 members  ·  Free

Threshold LevelUp

Electrical System Failure - unable to fix

WN73G

Firstly, if this is a duplicate post, I apologize, I did a search and nothing came up!

I am able to start engines just fine, however, when I go to power the aircraft via the engines (as opposed to Ground Power or APU) I get IDG1 and IDG2 FAIL in the tablet.  I reset all failures within XP as well as the tablet but the problem does not clear. The start switches are at CONT with the engines stable at idle so that looks correct.

Once I shut down or reset the aircraft to cold and dark, I am able to clear the failure.  However, once I start up again the issue re-occurs!  I am using the -700 and am certain its a PEBCAK (problem exists between keyboard and chair) error, but have done several flights using the same checklists with not issue so I am not sure what I am doing wrong!

Thanks!

Matt

I think the -700 is a bit more bugged than the -800 or -900.  I had a flap issue in the -700 where they just stopped responding.  Stuck between 5 and 10.  3D cockpit control had no effect and my physical HOTAS switch assignment had no effect.  

Make sure all four of the ELEC switches are in the down position.  They're midway down on the third row.  

1 hour ago, Tim13 said:

I think the -700 is a bit more bugged than the -800 or -900. 

I've not had any issues in the -700 and that's the variant I've completed most of my flights on.  The flaps won't work if you don't have hydraulic pressure.  In other words, you cannot move them unless at least one engine is running.  

Edited by Dan

Thanks! I tried the ELEC switches and still nothing.  I just ran through it again, meticulously following the checklist that I know worked before.  I do notice that the DRIVE annunciators are lit up, so I think whatever is happening stems from that.  I can start APU and APU can power the aircraft, but engine generators cannot connect due to the DRIVE switches.  I tried to cycle those switches and they move on the screen but seem to do nothing.  Also tried "fix all failures" both within the tablet and xplane and it does not clear anything.  Its just so odd because I was able to successfully startup and fly and now I cannot

On 1/10/2022 at 10:18 AM, Dan said:

Make sure all four of the ELEC switches are in the down position.  They're midway down on the third row.  

I've not had any issues in the -700 and that's the variant I've completed most of my flights on.  The flaps won't work if you don't have hydraulic pressure.  In other words, you cannot move them unless at least one engine is running.  

Hi @Dan, just a small point when starting the APU, we could experiment doing it shorter this way, in three small steps :

1. BAT ON
  2. APU switch to ON
  3. Quick impulse on APU switch down to START position, no need to maintain, we just have to be patient, as the EGT is delayed and will come by itself (take about 7 seconds to increase)

On 1/10/2022 at 10:18 AM, Dan said:

Yup, understand all that.  My issue was at the end of the flight, in the landing phase.