Carenado DO228

Joe_K

Out of the VR Lab: Carenado DO228 HD

This update tweaks nearly everything to work better in VR.   I worked very hard to make things just act and "feel" as right as they can.  Also, we give you teleport hotspots at the ailerons, elevator, and rudder and make them moveable with VR controllers, so you can do your walkaround checks.  Look for the hotspots up in the air around the aircraft parts.

Manipulators that have been tweaked to work in VR are:

-All Autopilot buttons working
-Throttle
-Prop levers
-Haptic feedback detents everywhere you'd expect them
-Radar Altitude knob
-Trim wheels and knobs
-Arm Rests
-Visors
-Lighting and Temperature knobs
-CRS 1 OBS dial
-HDG dial
-CRS 2 OBS dial
-Pitch Trim wheel manipulators added
-Altimeter baro pressure knobs
-Altitude Selector knob
-Parking Brake orientation corrected and tuned
-Overhead rudder knob
-Instrument brightness knobs
-VR Yoke added and tuned
-Flaps

Installation Instructions:

I recommend making a backup copy of your X-plane 11/Aircraft/Carenado DO228 folder.  Just rename it to something like Carenado DO228 Old, so you can easily just revert back if you need to.

Step 1. Unzip the file and you'll find 2 files.   Add both the DO228_vrconfig.txt file and the DO228_cockpit.obj to your Aircraft's root folder, overwrite.

Step 2.  Enjoy!

Disclaimer: This is not an officially supported Carenado update, so don't expect support from them on it. If you need help you can always ask me or just revert to your backed up folders. If you lose the old files and just want to reset everything just reinstall the aircraft.

Extra Tip:  If the cockpit seems all too glossy to you in VR, we found it's best to do this:  In the Aircraft/objects folder, you'll see several obj files.  Using a good text editor (such as notepad++) open i1.obj, i2.obj, i3.obj, and i4.obj and change the GLOBAL_specular 1 line to GLOBAL_specular .8 on each of the 4 files.  Save and reload your aircraft.  Viola!  If you would like a touch more reflection and gloss, feel free to experiment.  .85 is pretty good but getting a bit too glossy for me (Joe).  I feel the sweet spot is .8, but this is subjective.  In non-VR, a full value of 1 looks spectacular, but in VR it can be a bit much for some, myself included.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must be a member of the club to download any files so please go ahead and join up, otherwise you will get an error.

SimVRlabs-Carenado-DO228-V100.zip

Edited by Joe_K
  • Thanks 2

• Joe_K pinned this topic
  • Joe_K unlocked and locked this topic