Open Club  ·  3,973 members  ·  Free

Threshold LevelUp

Autopilot Problem: APP mode

KIMCAPTAIN

Hey guys 😊

When I am  flying 737-700 On autopilot for ILS cat1 approach it doesn’t follow the Localizer it goes crazy !!!!

FD is unstable and doesn’t follow the ILS !!!

i didn’t had this problem with 737-8 Zibo mod 

your experience with this one ?

Edited by KIMCAPTAIN
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I feel your pain. After days of struggling with this issue I came across this video for Zibo which also pertains to this AC since the LevelUp was built from Zibo. These EFB configuration and operational suggestions have solved these problems for me.  Hope it works for you. There is another AP configuration piece which I don't believe he mentions but is also important for the Auto-throttle.  In the EFB Configure & Customise>Hardware section set 'A/T Engaged Lock Throttle' to ON.  

As he mentions with the latest updates this AC has become more realistic, meaning touchy and difficult to operate in the area of AP, ILS etc.  So there are some sim settings that tone this down to make it user friendly.  Let me know if this works for you.  Also make sure that you figure out how to make these configuration changes persist, otherwise you will be chasing this again and again.  

Edited by Mandretti

I have the problem with "A/T Engaged Lock Throttle" On or Off. This makes no difference to me with the -700. I rather suspect that the problem is related to the flaps. If I land with less than 25° flaps and thus higher speed, everything works. As soon as I set the flaps to 25° the chaos starts when the aircraft tries to follow the glideslope. I don't have this problem with the Zibo or the old B737U. I will wait for the update and hope that the problem will be solved then.

Regards

Matthias

I'm not sure an update is going to help you - unless they decide to make the whole ILS/AP/FD/APP systems less fiddly.  Doubt that will happen as the trajectory seems to be towards more realistic.  I think part of the problem with this approach is that we're using joysticks and other controllers that do not reflect the real world without a lot of time configuring, experimenting, researching etc.  I like study-level aircraft, but this one is taking me weeks to work out the various kinks compared to other fine airliners that take a couple of days at most. And I'm not done yet. They do provide some configuration options to make things a bit better.  They help somewhat, but they also make things more complicated to sort out.  Be nice if they had some difficulty-level presets for this. 

I've also noticed that loading the same saved flights/configurations does not produce the same results each time.  Frequently I get porpoising or wobbling etc.  I also have random instrument lights or displays go on or off.  So clearly this AC and perhaps the others in the series are a work in progress.  I'm trying to successfully go from cold and dark to landing this thing and I've made over 50 attempts over a week with no success as yet.  And I'm not a newbie - I have thousands of hours in various aircraft.  I'm probably going to stop trying that and just fly it - or my IXEG 737-300.  Old school but fun and reliable. 

I wish I could provide more help (instead of whining) but it's very complex and my experience is that it just requires a lot of fiddling around with controllers, configuration settings, aircraft setup and aircraft operations.  There's info on each one of these but they require separate searching and researching.  I wish you luck!

On 1/9/2022 at 7:13 AM, KIMCAPTAIN said:

Hey guys 😊

When I am  flying 737-700 On autopilot for ILS cat1 approach it doesn’t follow the Localizer it goes crazy !!!!

FD is unstable and doesn’t follow the ILS !!!

i didn’t had this problem with 737-8 Zibo mod 

your experience with this one ?

If you are still having this issue I suggest reading my posts below, primarily watching the video I suggested. 

15 hours ago, Mandretti said:

I'm not sure an update is going to help you - unless they decide to make the whole ILS/AP/FD/APP systems less fiddly.  Doubt that will happen as the trajectory seems to be towards more realistic.

I don't think this behavior is more realistic. And if it is, why is it only on the -700 and not on the -800 and -900 on my system? This behavior does not occur on the Zibo and likewise not on the old -700U. The aircraft is perfectly trimmed and flies at the correct speed. However, as soon as GS is catched, it starts vibrating so extrem that flying is no longer possible. If this is realistic, it is good news for the manufacturers of vomit bags. 

The problem is not only with me. In the meantime there are a lot of posts about it here in the forum from several users. I myself have written to at least four of them. If the update cannot fix the problem, I will probably stay with the old -700U as long as possible. Then the LevelUp is not for me.

BTW: I am not a real pilot but I have been flying the 737 in the flight simulator since the early 90's and have been in a full-motion 737 simulator several times. Before coming to Xplane, I used the PMDG 737 in the MS simulator. None of the aircraft I have used so far had this kind of behavior. If this is realistic, are they all done wrong?

Edited by Manne67

Yep - the problems and fixes were with the 800 - sounds like the 700 is a different situation.  I haven’t (and won’t) try it.  That said,  the fixes I mentioned mostly work but it still wobbles and porpoises on occasion, and I have other issues with unpredictable states and behaviors.  Very frustrating.  That’s not realism for sure. 

What I meant by realism (I’m not a pilot either) is unlike any sim aircraft I’ve flown, this one is very fiddly with  the relationship between the FD, AP, attitude and yoke pressure.  I’ve read elsewhere that this is similar to how those airliners actually behave.  I’m about to give up on the 800.  I’ve made probably close to 100 attempts to go  from cold and dark to a gate after landing.  Not one has completed successfully.  Probably not realistic either!!

Could they have an option to turn off the "less fiddly reality A/P" off?   I think the issue could be a whole lot of different controllers x-plane settings etc. It would be great for the A/P to be able to go to easy mode. I think this would really help a lot of users who love this mod!

I too have had lots of issues of the Localizer and glideslope not holding........ It sucks because I just love this mod!

• Like 2

I think that this is not necessary. The real autopilot is not really complicated. If the boundary conditions are right, and these are basic things, the 737 autopilot works like any other AP. I'm not aware of any real aircraft that starts crazy oscillating when LOC or GS are caught. The behavior of the -700 has nothing to do with fiddly reality. It is wrong in my opinion and should be corrected with a fix.

• Thanks 1