1.14 development

Captain Kitten

Too bad that the detail won't be staying at this level. The grain is what gives the clouds the great contrast in this screenshot and it will be toned back when we deal with the grain. Just sometimes I would love to have the headroom to double the resolution. Too bad that it would cut the fps in half...

2020-04-07 16_09_31-AsPowerBar.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Windows98dragon said:

IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! IT LOOKS SO DAMN REAL!!! Can't wait for it, absolutely!!!! 

Your doing an amazing job! This looks way better than MSF2020 clouds.

P.S. : the screenshot can be awesome if you get Airport Environment HD 😉

Addons are not used in test versions for a reason 😉

The Clouds in FS2020 are rather designed at MACRO level (excuse me Captian, i should not be posting fs2020 screenshots here in this forum - but just for demonstration purpose.)

• by giving emphasis on appearance of big cloud volumes, and less emphasis at detail and close zoom views...
    image.png.dfe0c6b69bb50d405f5ba17887304680.png
  • this approach makes less demand on hardware and optimized for performance today.
    image.png.8733126661e06de990e42f61d02d49ed.png

The Clouds in XEnviro are rather Optimized at Micro Level

• by focusing at the building block - the voxels - and thus giving them control at detail level .. and how it add up to the final big picture
  • this approach is destined to give better physical cloud rendition and appearance after all. - but is more demanding in terms of hardware and properly optimized rendering pipeline.

image.png.742b1158ae7e719e0cf9d26d57eba119.png

i have never found this level of cloud-closeup detail except in Xenviro ... 

Overall, X-Plane is more of a simulator of real-world aero-dynamics - despite its lag in graphics.
X-Enviro is following the same school of real-world phycial behavior.
Both X-plane and X-envrio are now at a maturity level of catching up graphically ... and THAT IS SO FAR THE BEGINNING ....

I also notice the x-enviro team have under their sleeves a big horse that is not yet set free, what they produce in lab seems far superior than what they commercialize, i think that is due, their approach to build the cloud models from the grounds up ... (in contract with FS2020)  .. gives them the stronger hold in the digital air atmosphere ...

----------

Lastly, see this place in Northern Turkey - in the nearby of TRABZON airport,

image.png.fc06be9682d51782dc336d168d3b70ee.png

image.png.6534243edb74cc86084792aa89a4500c.png

image.png.34d1be89afb3aa06f4cc8dd90e6aa69d.png

Yesterday their was a live stream for Turkish Airlines from Istanbul to Trabzon Airport - recorded with X-Enviro 1.13 ....

The Rendering of X-Enviro was very beautiful as it came close to how the clouds are forming in that region.. watch from 1:45:00 up to 2:11:00 with replays ... really awesome ... Good Job X-Enviro Team.

1 hour ago, Captain Kitten said:

Too bad that the detail won't be staying at this level. The grain is what gives the clouds the great contrast in this screenshot and it will be toned back when we deal with the grain. Just sometimes I would love to have the headroom to double the resolution. Too bad that it would cut the fps in half...

2020-04-07 16_09_31-AsPowerBar.jpg

Would vulkan give you the headroom? Or is there not so much improvment regarding xenviro and performance to expect? Anyway the screenshots are looking very promising!

Edited by Janis321

4 hours ago, Janis321 said:

Would vulkan give you the headroom? Or is there not so much improvment regarding xenviro and performance to expect? Anyway the screenshots are looking very promising!

This is what many people seem to get wrong:
xEnviro isn't benefiting from Vulkan. Your computer is the factor that benefits from Vulkan. So if your system isn't benefiting from Vulkan, then you won't be able to enjoy xE any more than you do in OpenGL. But most people do see a gain, and that way we can take that in to account and push xEnviro further than we can do in OpenGL. How much we can expect? That is down to the further development of Vulkan up until its release and we don't speculate what that will be. We can see the tendency now with the beta. Definitely. But we won't know before we start working with a stable version of Vulkan. Preferrably a released one.

So this is why it is senseless (for us) to chase the beta and rather to finish the performance paths we have taken. It will benefit everyone - not only the ones that get the gains from Vulkan but also those who don't. We can then concentrate on features like multi screens, VR, Thunderstorms and so on (that list is long). We're at a 5-10 fps performance gain from 1.13 and moving forward with finalizing the visuals.

Nürburgring analogy:
Racing past the DevilsDiner towards the last shicanes and towards the final beta lap. Which we hope will be a very fast one.
708406062_2020-04-0722_20_57-unknown.png(PNGImage25601080pixels)-Scaled(75).jpg.8c936fb15f595ed3b3dd8f02fcac4305.jpg
1329409542_2020-04-0722_20_40-unknown.png(PNGImage25601080pixels)-Scaled(75).jpg.b5a6990b5ad27a08b8f2c09480c9b2e7.jpg

• Like 2

Just seen that P3D are releasing ver 5 on April 14th. They too are going for volumetric clouds and by the looks of the short video - using similar approach. Personally, though I do have the Alpha Tech (FS2020) on my computer, XP11/12 will be my core and main sim. I think XEnviro will take XP to the level we've been waiting for in a flightsim. It's looking tremendous. Well done team.

Edited by Yorkshire
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Captain Kitten said:

This is what many people seem to get wrong:
xEnviro isn't benefiting from Vulkan. Your computer is the factor that benefits from Vulkan. So if your system isn't benefiting from Vulkan, then you won't be able to enjoy xE any more than you do in OpenGL. But most people do see a gain, and that way we can take that in to account and push xEnviro further than we can do in OpenGL. 

Pls dont push too much. For me, XE always tanked my GPU frametimes (GTX 1070 until new cards from Nvidia and AMD release), while Vulkan is supposed to free up some CPU time. The free CPU time will allow me to run my world objects slider a notch higher, I hope. But if XE makes my GPU take all those frames away, there is next to no benefit for me. Btw: I do hope you're aiming for a release of 1.14 close to the end of XP 11.50 beta. That way people could enjoy a "new"ish Xplane 11,5. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, domae001 said:

Pls dont push too much. For me, XE always tanked my GPU frametimes (GTX 1070 until new cards from Nvidia and AMD release), while Vulkan is supposed to free up some CPU time. The free CPU time will allow me to run my world objects slider a notch higher, I hope. But if XE makes my GPU take all those frames away, there is next to no benefit for me. Btw: I do hope you're aiming for a release of 1.14 close to the end of XP 11.50 beta. That way people could enjoy a "new"ish Xplane 11,5. 

1.14 has nothing to do with x-plane 11.50. None at all. And it is the main performance update. I do mention this in just about every status update of xEnviro so do have a read in those.. I might have to post them elsewhere in the future. People seem to not read them at all..

22 hours ago, Captain Kitten said:

1.14 has nothing to do with x-plane 11.50. None at all. And it is the main performance update. I do mention this in just about every status update of xEnviro so do have a read in those.. I might have to post them elsewhere in the future. People seem to not read them at all..

Why so sensitive? I have been reading every single post. You were speaking about "pushing xEnviro further" because of the performance gains. And that's not what you should do in my opinion. Because I read it as "we spent coding time to get performance gains and then we'll feature creep them away". For me, that wouldnt be acceptable as 1.13 tanks my GPU too hard and I need much better performance to consider running XE. If you stay with the original plan and truly put performance first, pls go ahead! (In the past, however, there were updates in which you did indeed trade initial performance gains for new features, that's why I'm very cautios when you suddenly speak of "pushing further".)

I also never implied that XE1.14 had anything to do with XP11.50. I was merely suggesting that it would be a good coincidence from a customer perspective if XE1.14 released close to XP11.50 becoming final because many customers will then update and reevaluate their weather/atmosphere addons. A new , shiny, well-performing version of XE releasing in that timeframe certainly wouldn't be bad business. But it's your business to run, so do as you see fit...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just a little info from the wide world. I have changed to 11.5 vulkan and will never go back. The gained performance is extreme. And the most important plugins like xlife deluxe, ground service, fc, zibo... etc. have already been updated. Own xe for a long time and will wait until xe works with vulkan.

Attention only one info. No attack. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Captain,

In General, per my humble observation, the clouds in XE look more opaque than they should be.. 
Shouldn't the cloud particles (at voxel level) be having a bit more inherent translucence (just one extra little nudge)?

The accumulation of more volume/density would then naturally compensate to decrease that effect in the more bulky parts of the cloud, and build up opaque effect that still exhibits more authentic rendition of internal light diffusion.

I think it is worth experimenting, as it will give the clouds a more transparent edges and light diffusion effect.

ref: https://www.globe.gov/web/s-cool/home/observation-and-reporting/cloud-visual-opacity

Best Regards

Edited by Bakr
  • Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 3:20 AM, mikegame1978 said:

Just a little info from the wide world. I have changed to 11.5 vulkan and will never go back. The gained performance is extreme. And the most important plugins like xlife deluxe, ground service, fc, zibo... etc. have already been updated. Own xe for a long time and will wait until xe works with vulkan.

Attention only one info. No attack. 

To each their own.  I tried the beta and, yes, while the performance gain for me was amazing even on a 1080Ti (almost double the FPS from what I usually get with xE and it allowed me to crank up settings), there are lots of issues:

• To me, despite the performance, the look and feel was like going back in time a few years prior to xE...  Just not the same.
  • It's a beta, which means lots of bugs and things don't work...  By design.
  • I'm glad most of your add-ons work, but almost all of mine don't (as expected), and it's just not a good experience without them...

So, for now, I'm happily going back to 11.41 and will test 11.5 from time to time to help find and fix bugs, but right now, I'm more eagerly looking forward to xE 1.14 than Vulkan.  As long as xE can squeeze a few more FPS out of it to routinely keep things at 30 (transitioning through clouds I'm at 20-25 right now), I'll be a very happy man, as for me at the moment, XP without xE just isn't an XP I want to fly.  So many jaw dropping moments with xE...

@Captain KittenThank you so much for the photos and development updates!  And, of course, thank you for xE.

Edited by Iiari
  • Like 2